The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

MSE Discussion: MoneySavingExpert.com to join the MoneySupermarket.com group

Comments

3400581 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Another thing missing from the Q&A is a link to the forum that advises us how to register an objection with the OFT or has Martin already discussed that with David Cameron over dinner/party/cocktails/polo/other social activity (*delete as required)
  • Somehow I am not in a mood to celebrate after reading this news...
  • CompBunny
    CompBunny Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    My kneejerk reaction was to be angry, disappointed and worried about the future of the site.

However, I am going to stick around and see what happens - its too early to judge. This site has done SO much for me and my partner, and I've learnt a lot. We went from being a debt to having savings, I'd love to know how much money the average user saves each year by using this site.

Besides, even if the powers that be slowly become biased, the kind and genuine users on this forum can continue to take MSE in the direction we want!
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215
    Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

3400581 Posts: 20 Forumite
    I would be far less sceptical about this if I was reading that £80m had gone into the Charity Foundation (where presumably both Martin & Mrs MSE will serve on the board for a considerable annual remuneration) and only £7m had been divvied up between Martin and the MSE Team.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    CompBunny wrote: »
    Besides, even if the powers that be slowly become biased, the kind and genuine users on this forum can continue to take MSE in the direction we want!

If they stick around and if the moderation of the forum (as part of a commercial company) allows it. Can you imagine a thread being allowed which discusses how to take action against MoneySupermarket if they for example, become involved in misselling?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Presumably MoneySupermarket will now own the MSE brand and name and can use it as they wish?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • pixiechick_2
    pixiechick_2 Posts: 983 Forumite
    Complete and utter sellout.

Martin Lewis, you disgust me!!!

I wonder how long this post will last before it's removed?
  • £$&*"($£&(
    £$&*"($£&( Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 11:45AM
    I can only imagine that it's worth that amount to Moneysupermarket if they get access to the millions of MSE users. The existing financial arrangements will continue to pay for MSE and provide some profit but not enough for the amount they're paying.

I don't begrudge Martins option to cash in though.

It does open the door for a new independent money saving site.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Fifer wrote: »
    Good analogy. I remember when Motley Fool was independent and trusted. I used to visit regularly but haven't been near it for years.

Yes, that's the danger. I used to be a big user of TMF up until 5 years ago when I switched to MSE for sensible financial information. All TMF seem to do now is push "make money quick" schemes.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 11:47AM
    You're all acting like a dumped spouse.

It's business.

It's obvious the site users will have a different perspective to it's owner.

I live on this site and I hate change but I don't particularly think this is a bad thing. It's us users that have made this site what it is (sorry Martin but without us the site would never have grown) and I can't see that a new company would shell out £87 million just to come in and make sweeping changes to a working model and risk alienating it's user base.

Time will tell I guess.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family