Holiday Insurance

I have just received a bog standard letter from my Doctors surgery, saying they use a tool, which based on information medical records, estimates my Q risk. Risk score of having a stroke or heart attack in the next ten years. Range of 0 - 10 acceptable, 10 or over means an increased risk. Where the tool estimates a higher than average risk score, patient are offered lifestyle advice and if necessary Statin tablets to reduce the risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Mine has been estimated between 10 - 15. Therefore we would like to offer you the chance to discuss the options with a nurse regards lifestyle change or Statins. My question to you, if I take up the offer to discuss, and I go for holiday insurance I would have to say I have discussed Statins with the Doctors as it will be on my record, therefore my insurance could go up. Any comments would be grateful as I feel it is very ambiguous for the consumer. They are penalised either way. Take the chance of heart attack, stroke or pay extra insurance.
chrisjen24

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I believe taking statins will not affect the cost of your holiday insurance.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Our holiday insurance asked if we hd been advised we had high cholesterol,
    A answer of yes then got the question Do you take statins.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    chrisjen24 wrote: »
    Take the chance of heart attack, stroke or pay extra insurance.
    Do you really need help with that choice?
  • sheramber wrote: »
    Our holiday insurance asked if we hd been advised we had high cholesterol,
    A answer of yes then got the question Do you take statins.

Our insurer asked a very similar question. (Have you been advised to take statins rather than do you). I checked with my GP what the answer was (I thought I had merely been offered statins) but he said the correct answer was that I'd been advised to take statins but had declined to do so. (By the way, this was after we had discussed the increase in absolute risk as opposed to relative risk, and we both thought the increase in absolute risk was small).

I declared this to our insurer. It resulted in a tiny increase in premium which they did not charge for.

If your insurer asks you a question about anything that is evidenced in your medical records you need to answer truthfully, otherwise there's no point in having the insurance.
  • Ganga wrote: »
    I believe taking statins will not affect the cost of your holiday insurance.

This might be right. A person taking statins may(*) be a better risk than someone (like me) not taking them after they've been offered. I presume if I now started taking statins my premium would come down.

(*) I declined them because I think the evidence of their efficacy is unclear. Although NICE and insurers presumably think otherwise.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    My husband was told his level was slightly high and statins offered. He declined them.

Next year his readings were the same but he was a year older and that level- the same as the year before- was no longer a problem due to his increased age.

I doubt if they would stopped the stains that year if he had started taking them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure