I want to stop drowning

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning,

I've had a bit of a rubbish couple of weeks and haven't felt like writing on here much.

I've done lots of hanging washing outside and did that money transfer but have paid some off the barclaycard so am saving on interest. I feel less stressed with this money in the account. I've bought ds2 and 3 dd3 their bday presents so just need a few small bits.
  • Aww hope you feel better soon xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • debtaghh wrote: »
    Morning,

I've had a bit of a rubbish couple of weeks and haven't felt like writing on here much.

I've done lots of hanging washing outside and did that money transfer but have paid some off the barclaycard so am saving on interest. I feel less stressed with this money in the account. I've bought ds2 and 3 dd3 their bday presents so just need a few small bits.

Morning,

Hope you feel better soon x
  • debtaghh
    Morning,

Sorry I haven't written much lately but have been through a depressive stage. Debt hasn't gone down and infact looks like we have barely paid anything off since April due to transfers. I have also stopped making overpayments as it was then leaving us short. We went on a day trip yesterday with our membership but between a hot choc and takeaway ( we did bring lunch) we still spent £25. This scared me as it truly showed how the money over the summer will just disappear if we are not careful. My business has been awful but my husband has had more extra work this week which has helped sort all the summer money. September is going to be an awful month financially as we have our tv licence due as well as contents insurance.

The one positive is I think I have definitely had my ' lightbulb moment' as we had a holiday abroad booked for next year ( didn't pay anything but just reserved it) and I've cancelled it. We also had an expensive break in England booked ( paid the non refundable deposit of over £500!) but we are changing it to a wkend break instead of a week meaning we shouldn't have to pay more than maybe an extra £200 instead of the £1k that it should have been :eek: We will look to do something in England for next summer that is a lot more affordable. I've also been thinking how crazy it is to spend £3k that we don't have to go on holiday. We might have fun while we are away but the rest of the year I'm stressed and depressed about money :(

I've been trying to hang washing out as much possible but the weather has been a bit up and down here lately. I have also tried to budget, yesterday's spends were allocated but money goes too quick! That does really scare me. How much money do ppl allocate for the summer holidays? 3 chn to entertain and we are going away to a self catering place?

Have a good day everyone.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HI there
    I don't think being on a DMP will affect you renting.
    how about doing the debt remedy on the Stepchange website. You have to put in all your income and outgoings like you might have done already and at the end it will give you a suggestion as to what should be your next steps. There is no pressure and you don't have to agree to anything to use the tool.
    I have a feeling that it will suggest a DMP.
    the other place to look is the DMP supporters thread on here, as they have asked all the questions and share experiences of being on a DMP.

Re Christmas. Who are you buying for that it costs 1700? I would suggest that you talk to the adults in the family and suggest just buying for children this year. Or tell a white lie and say you are only buying token presents this year as you are trying to save for a deposit for a house?

good luck
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • debtaghh
    chevalier wrote: »
    HI there
    I don't think being on a DMP will affect you renting.
    how about doing the debt remedy on the Stepchange website. You have to put in all your income and outgoings like you might have done already and at the end it will give you a suggestion as to what should be your next steps. There is no pressure and you don't have to agree to anything to use the tool.
    I have a feeling that it will suggest a DMP.
    the other place to look is the DMP supporters thread on here, as they have asked all the questions and share experiences of being on a DMP.

Re Christmas. Who are you buying for that it costs 1700? I would suggest that you talk to the adults in the family and suggest just buying for children this year. Or tell a white lie and say you are only buying token presents this year as you are trying to save for a deposit for a house?

good luck
    chev

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. What I mean about the dmp is , won't it show us as having bad credit? If yes due to the competition in our area we could risk losing a property due to that.

Regarding the presents I've tried so hard talking to my family about cutting back etc and they get funny with me😔. It also includes numerous bdays including Dd1.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am unsure about the DMP and renting. That is why i suggested going and having a look in the DMP supporters thread. There is also a housing section on here, where again i am sure you could ask this question. Have you done an SOA for on here?

Here is the link
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

if you format it for MSE, you can share it on here. Sometimes there is some obvious wood to cut from a budget but we can't see it for the trees so to speak.

What will it take to make your business more productive. Have you looked at the business network in your area to see if they have any guides for getting more turnover? And also I hate to mention it but you have got money put aside for tax?

good luck I think you are floundering but there are people on this site who can help. Have a look at the threads and areas I suggested and I hope it will put your mind at ease.

cheers
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • debtaghh
    chevalier wrote: »
    I am unsure about the DMP and renting. That is why i suggested going and having a look in the DMP supporters thread. There is also a housing section on here, where again i am sure you could ask this question. Have you done an SOA for on here?

Here is the link
    http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

if you format it for MSE, you can share it on here. Sometimes there is some obvious wood to cut from a budget but we can't see it for the trees so to speak.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it. I will look at those sections and ask the question.

Regarding the money for tax I don't earn enough to pay tax so don't need to thankfully worry about that.

What will it take to make your business more productive. Have you looked at the business network in your area to see if they have any guides for getting more turnover? And also I hate to mention it but you have got money put aside for tax?

good luck I think you are floundering but there are people on this site who can help. Have a look at the threads and areas I suggested and I hope it will put your mind at ease.

cheers
    chev

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I will ask the question on the dmp section.

I don't earn anywhere near enough to pay tax.
  • debtaghh
    I have also tried doing a SOA but I have the same problem I always have I can't load it onto here. I do it on my phone as it doesn't seem to be compatable with my old laptop.

If I am being honest you will all say I need to do an IVA or DMP as it shows -£325 per month but I have already mentioned my resevations. Plus to be honest the only areas people will say I can/should cut down on are

Holidays- I shouldn't have any
    Entertainment- This should be non existent but I do include haircuts, clothing, school trips with this ( basically everything extra)
    presents- I have tried to tell my family can we not do presents but get so much aggro.

Our internet etc looks more becuase we did the BT deal and got £150 back which is why it looks more than it is.

Food wise I try an get basics and not eat a lot of meat and shop aroun Lidl, Aldi and Iceland.

If I am being honest this is really destroying me and I am in bits, I don't know what else to do. I have tried applying for suitable jobs that work around the children and leave me with a couple of hundred after childcare and even got an interview but I didn't get the job. I just don't know what else I can do:mad::eek:
  • debtaghh
    Morning,

I'm feeling less sorry for myself today and more proactive.

I've done money transfers so I have money for things needed for the next year. I know this isn't ideal/ the right thing to do but it's 0% and helps me feel less stressed knowing I have it. My husband and I both agreed it and agreed we would start fresh , so we are logging our debt monthly to ensure we do clear debt over the next year. I've been doing surveys more lately which is good and have a full day of work this week. We had a takeaway last night and decided it was a complete waste of money and it really isn't worth it.

The holiday that I booked for next year I have managed to change it , it means we get two breaks next year but works out cheaper than the original one. I know this is my biggest issue , I'm so good in most other areas but I feel for the kids.

Any way let's hope I can stick to my summer budget and we can clear this debt once and for all!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback