PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Inheriting a house with a mortgage.

Hello folks.

My mother recently passed away and left a house with a mortgage.

The house value is £110,000 and theres £45,000 left.

As i live and work in Spain I am no longer classified as a UK resident therefore I cannot take over the mortgage.

I am the sole beneficiary. My aunt and uncle are the executors.

The solicitor has said that the house cannot directly to into my name as I can't get approved to take over the mortgage. The only options are to sell the house or leave it short term under the control of the executors.

Has anyone else left their inheritance under the control of the executors for any length of time? Has this proved difficult.

I have the money to cover the mortgage but the bank won t give me a mortgage.

I would ideally like to keep the house however I don't want it sitting in the control of my aunt and uncle for years to come and always having to ask them for permission when I want to sell or rent it.

Thanks

Comments

• Sorry for your loss.

Is there an insurance policy linked to the mortgage, or other cash assets that could be used?

I always understood that if there wasn't a way of paying off the mortgage on the death of the mortgagee then there was no option but to sell it
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have the money to cover the mortgage payments*
  • System
    No insurance in place and the other assets can only reduce the mortgage by 5-6k.

I wanted to keep the house and rent it however nationwide aren't helping and my circumstances are pretty difficult as I live abroad, am self employed etc. The idea seems to leave it under the control of the executors for 1 year rent it on the quiet and then review it.

But I don't know what my rights are if it sits under the control of the executors. Surely it means legally I'm not allowed to do anything with the house without their say so.
  • A quick search shows that a Barclays (note : I'm not qualified to recommend them!) do an ex-pat mortgage so there must be organisations that would cover your situation.

If you want to rent it out you'll probably need an ex-pat btl mortgage)
    Just because nationwide won't help just means you have to look elsewhere
  • System
    I have tried all avenues. Barclays and HSBC do them. However my situation is complex as I only moved to Spain last summer, my mother passed February.

My business is self employed so 1) I dont declare all my earnings and 2) my earnings are very small as it's first year maybe talking €28000 a year however that is divided by me and my partner as we work together. So I would be going with a salary of €14000 Euro and proof off about €10000 a year.

Not exactly much.
    I have next to no bills so basically I save around 500 a month which is more than the mortgage payments.

For me I would sell the house however the executors are pushing me to find a way to keep it and rent it out. They aren't coming up with any solutions but merely saying, keep paying the mortgage which I'm already doing, they being executors will rent it out, get some income from it and wait until the bank write saying that the deeds of house need sorted etc which could take 12-18 months as the bank will be getting their money and nothing will flag up for a while.

It's a head melt to be honest id I'd rather just sell it however I understand my aunt and uncle want to try to keep it and help however they can.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    cclem345 wrote: »
    My business is self employed so 1) I dont declare all my earnings

Do you really mean that? Especially on a public forum - and you want to get a mortgage?
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Well it is yours so really it is up to you what to do with it not them.

If they want it they can buy if off you.
  • cclem345 wrote: »
    I have tried all avenues. Barclays and HSBC do them. However my situation is complex as I only moved to Spain last summer, my mother passed February.

My business is self employed so 1) I dont declare all my earnings and 2) my earnings are very small as it's first year maybe talking €28000 a year however that is divided by me and my partner as we work together. So I would be going with a salary of €14000 Euro and proof off about €10000 a year.

Not exactly much.
    I have next to no bills so basically I save around 500 a month which is more than the mortgage payments.

For me I would sell the house however the executors are pushing me to find a way to keep it and rent it out. They aren't coming up with any solutions but merely saying, keep paying the mortgage which I'm already doing, they being executors will rent it out, get some income from it and wait until the bank write saying that the deeds of house need sorted etc which could take 12-18 months as the bank will be getting their money and nothing will flag up for a while.

It's a head melt to be honest id I'd rather just sell it however I understand my aunt and uncle want to try to keep it and help however they can.

So do you want to sell it or not?

Tbh it sounds like a complete recipe for disaster - if there's no way you can get a mortgage in your own name then you're probably better off selling.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    cclem345 wrote: »
    For me I would sell the house however the executors are pushing me to find a way to keep it and rent it out.

Why?

You are beneficiary of the estate. Tell them you don't wish to.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Let's go back a step or three.

You are, I presume, the sole beneficiary of your mother's entire estate, whether under intestacy rules or via a will doesn't make a difference, other than the will presumably named the executors.

Her estate includes a house worth £110k.
    Does it include any other assets? I presume not much, from the rest of your post.
    However, it includes a £45k liability - money borrowed against that house.

So you are in line to inherit (£110k-£45k)=£65k, plus any other assets, once probate is granted and the executors can distribute the estate.

Except your mother's estate cannot raise the £45k to repay that liability. So the obvious way for the executors to get probate is to sell the house. If, otoh, you specifically want to inherit the house, you can pay in the £45k to her estate, which the executors can use to clear the mortgage. How you raise that £45k is not the executors' problem.

Can they, as executors, choose to start renting the property, to buy you time to raise the money? Perhaps - but I would think not. They are under a duty to get probate granted in a timely manner - much less than the timescales involved in property rental.

That presupposes that you, once you inherit the property, want to rent it. What happens once probate is granted and the estate is distributed is none of the executors' business - if they are pushing you to do anything in particular, that is outside of their role as executors. Sure, it may have been their sister's home, and they'd rather it "stayed in the family". Tough. It is not their property nor will it ever be their property - it is still the property of their sister (deceased), and once they complete their job as executors, it will be your property - and they need to understand that. If you do not want to rent it, then the executors are clearly not acting in either the estate's best interests or yours by pushing to let it before probate.

If they want to keep it in the family, then they can find £65,000 for you and £45,000 for the lender, and buy it from the estate themselves. If they can't do that, then they have no other option but to follow your wishes and sell it.

If they refuse to accept this, then you need to look into replacing them as executors. It may be worth the cost to get the solicitor to act, if you can't do so yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure