PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying House with Solar Thermal Panels

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. I am buying a house that has got the solar thermal panels already installed but the seller hasn't got any paperwork for them apart from the manual on how to use the system. The system is used only for heating the water.

My solicitor is telling me that a certificate is required for this installation to make sure it's installed as per MCS (microgeneration certification scheme). Could anyone please tell me if i can go ahead with the purchase without the required paperwork or could the certificate be obtained from a certified installer?

Also what are the costs associated with having these type of solar panels? - maintenance/cleaning etc..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    It seems that the certificate can be requested from the installer, or if they are no longer certified from MCS (with the installer's details) http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/consumers/important-consumer-information (final dropdown box).

When was the system installed? If it's before 2009, then it won't have been MCS certified anyway (since the scheme didn't exist!).

(No comment as to how necessary this is)
  • marlex
    marlex Posts: 8 Forumite
    DumbMuscle wrote: »
    It seems that the certificate can be requested from the installer, or if they are no longer certified from MCS (with the installer's details) (final dropdown box).

When was the system installed? If it's before 2009, then it won't have been MCS certified anyway (since the scheme didn't exist!).

(No comment as to how necessary this is)

Thanks for your reply. I have a copy of the transfer from 2009 when a building society has bought the house from Taylor Wimpey so it would have been built in 2009 or 08. I am waiting for my conveyancer to let me know if my lender will approve my mortgage without the certificate :mad:.
  • marlex
    edited 18 June 2017 at 12:46PM
    I don't know as I don't have a clue how these things work or what is required, it's my first purchase and my conveyancer is not helpful at all.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    marlex wrote: »
    I don't know as I don't have a clue how these things work or what is required, it's my first purchase and my conveyancer is not helpful at all.

Probably because they don't have a clue! Are you sure it is worth the hassle? If your heart is set on this house and no other, I am sure you will find a way to overcome this obstacle. Good luck.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just because a solar system doesn't have a MCS certificate it doesn't mean that there are problems with it. And even if it does have a MCS certificate it doesn't mean that there won't be any problems. No legal requirement for any installation to have MCS certification, only that you need it to claim RHI payments, which it sounds like you're not eligible for anyway.

Sounds stupid if your mortgage lender uses that in any way to determine whether or not they approve the mortgage.
  • marlex
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    Just because a solar system doesn't have a MCS certificate it doesn't mean that there are problems with it. And even if it does have a MCS certificate it doesn't mean that there won't be any problems. No legal requirement for any installation to have MCS certification, only that you need it to claim RHI payments, which it sounds like you're not eligible for anyway.

Sounds stupid if your mortgage lender uses that in any way to determine whether or not they approve the mortgage.

Agree with you on the above, thanks. I have worded it wrong, the mortgage has been approved however due to the lack of documentation the solicitor is waiting for the lender to confirm if the mortgage conditions are satisfied so in a way the lender could refuse/reject it I guess...
  • Glover1862
    Glover1862 Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Who owns the panels? they could be rent a roof in which case you have a problem.

Normally You want the panels to belong to the house and when purchase the house you get the FiT payment and get the generated electric. Sound like a diy installation if its only heating water, you could just remove them
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    marlex wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. I am buying a house that has got the solar thermal panels already installed but the seller hasn't got any paperwork for them apart from the manual on how to use the system. The system is used only for heating the water.

My solicitor is telling me that a certificate is required for this installation to make sure it's installed as per MCS (microgeneration certification scheme). Could anyone please tell me if i can go ahead with the purchase without the required paperwork or could the certificate be obtained from a certified installer?

Also what are the costs associated with having these type of solar panels? - maintenance/cleaning etc..

Thanks in advance

Your solicitor obviously does not understand the difference between solar water heating panels and PV panels which generate electricity!

No paperwork required for what you have.
  • marlex
    In the fittings and contents form the seller stated that they are owned outright and that the lease of the roof/air space is not applicable.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Glover1862 wrote: »
    Who owns the panels? they could be rent a roof in which case you have a problem.

Normally You want the panels to belong to the house and when purchase the house you get the FiT payment and get the generated electric. Sound like a diy installation if its only heating water, you could just remove them

Why would you remove something which saves you money?

Rent a roof and FIT are totally irrelevant here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure