PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Both roughly half an hour from me.

Mind you, I have to pay the builders, so need to live on what I have in stock for a few months. Or even better, spend more time travelling for work and getting them to pay for my food...

Thriftwizard ... if your DS is in Southampton you should come over sometime and meet up with Lyn & silvasava & me and may be we can persuade Monna to come over too...
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Ooooh a meetup ! Take pics of Southampton for this wee peasant :)
  • Oh MAR you really don't want photos of Southampton, it's NOT pretty!!!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    In the worrying items in my news feed category:
    US biotech company Bioquark and its ReAnima project has been granted authorization and ethical permission to use 20 brain-dead patients for what is sure to be a highly controversial study: Starting next year, they plan to stimulate their nervous systems in order to restart the brains. Bioquark is hoping that its part in the groundbreaking ReAnima project will reveal if people can at least partly be brought back from the dead.

I have checked the date and its well past the 1st of April.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    nuatha wrote: »
    Bioquark is hoping that its part in the groundbreaking ReAnima project will reveal if people can at least partly be brought back from the dead.

Soo...

Option 1 - You get your life back, in full (assuming no physical injuries acquired which caused your prior state of brain death)

Option 2 - You are 'reanimated' with a sliding scale of brain damage (and it's still against the law for you to be euthanised, so you've just got to deal with the physical and mental realities of your new 'life').

Option 3 - Zombies.

Would have loved to have sat in on the ethics panel for this one.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 May 2016 at 1:42PM
    Surely whatever they died from will still be in situ if it's a condition or illness or massive trauma, I don't see how they can be 'jump started' under those conditions let alone the sense or ethicality of actually trying!

Maybe you'd better concentrate on stopping the world NUATHA so we can all get off???

It just occurs to me that they may not mean 'whole' cadavers but might just be working with the brains of those unfortunate people?
  • nuatha
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Soo...

Option 1 - You get your life back, in full (assuming no physical injuries acquired which caused your prior state of brain death)

Option 2 - You are 'reanimated' with a sliding scale of brain damage (and it's still against the law for you to be euthanised, so you've just got to deal with the physical and mental realities of your new 'life').

Option 3 - Zombies.

Would have loved to have sat in on the ethics panel for this one.

Option 1, you suddenly find yourself yanked out of the afterlife, just after you've found where the best harp tutor is to be found. You've also found that your property now legally belongs to your heirs.

Option 2, you regret not having thoroughly checked that consent form, it may be the only thought you will ever have. You also have no method of paying for your healthcare.

Option 3, by most definitions the term zombie applies to both option 1 and 2.
    Surely whatever they died from will still be in situ if it's a condition or illness or massive trauma, I don't see how they can be 'jump started' under those conditions let alone the sense or ethicality of actually trying!
    Like NewShadow I would have liked to have seen the ethics committee at work on that one. I would also like to see the psych evals of the proponents and backers of the scheme as well as the Ethics Committee.
    Maybe you'd better concentrate on stopping the world NUATHA so we can all get off???

It just occurs to me that they may not mean 'whole' cadavers but might just be working with the brains of those unfortunate people?

"The 20 patients have been certified brain-dead and are only avoiding decomposition because they are hooked up to a variety of machines that keep their bodies going, even if their brain isn’t functioning. After treatments by ReAnima have been administered, these patients will be observed for several months to see if any neurological changes or activity is present. Specifically, the site writes that they will be focusing on the upper spinal cord, which is where the breathing and heart beat functions are controlled."

So, whole cadavers.

From the same feed, Sergio Canavero Italian neurosurgeon who announced he would like to assemble a worldwide elite team to perform the world’s first human full cranial transplant as early as next year.

Getting off this world has, indeed, become a higher priority.
  • The term 'Interesting Times, may you live in them' has never been more appropriately applied!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherWalker
    The term 'Interesting Times, may you live in them' has never been more appropriately applied!

Yes, one of the better curses I've always thought.
    After treatments by ReAnima have been administered, these patients will be observed for several months to see if any neurological changes or activity is present.

And then 'humanely euthanised'; presumably before the zombie apocalypse??
  • nuatha
    Cappella wrote: »
    Yes, one of the better curses I've always thought.
    Agreed
    And then 'humanely euthanised'; presumably before the zombie apocalypse??

Euthanasia is illegal in the 'States, if the experiments are in any way successful - ie the subjects aren't clinically brain dead, then there is another whole swarm of ethical dilemmas.

The fact that this could even get through an Ethics Committee has me reconsidering the options for disposal of my corpse - left to medical science has just become a non starter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure