Cost of new bathroom installation - is this fair?

Comments

• maxiscot
    maxiscot Posts: 55 Forumite
    Sounds very expensive _ I live in South East london and have been quoted £2000 plus VAT and that included installing fitted furniture - get some more quotes it really does make a difference. HTH
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    booty40uk wrote:
    Hi Raymond
    He will need to be a registered electrician because bathrooms and kitchens are defined as special locations by the NICEIC and can only have electrics done in them by an NICEIC registered sparks or a sparks holding the new Part P qualification.
    Andy

You are correct, but who mentioned anything about electrical work :rotfl:
  • booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    Raymond
    The job, as far as i can tell, is removing a bathroom suite and installing new with the addition of a thermostatic shower. The shower will need plumbing in and i am ,rightly or wrongly, going to assume that there will be some degree of plumbing pipework required for the new suite configerations. Therefore, all the pipework will need bonding and cross bonding in accordance with chapter 5 article 4.3 of the 16th edition of the IEE regs. Therefore he will need to be a qualified electrician.
    Andy
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you asked individual tradesmen to quote on the work?

Plumbers dont tile - sparks dont lay floors??

Sounds to me as if you are getting a builder who will 'sub out' the work, adding his (large) bit on for the trouble.

You will need a plasterer who would more than likely remove the tiles for you.

A plumber for the fittings Inc Shower and he will probably know someone in the electrical trade to wire it up.

Finally you need a tiler for the floor and walls, although often they can be separate tiling jobs.

Sound to me like you are after the convenience of paying one man and if so you pay through your nostrils.

I doubt if you would find one man qualified enough to do all of the work.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    booty40uk wrote:
    Raymond
    The job, as far as i can tell, is removing a bathroom suite and installing new with the addition of a thermostatic shower. The shower will need plumbing in and i am ,rightly or wrongly, going to assume that there will be some degree of plumbing pipework required for the new suite configerations. Therefore, all the pipework will need bonding and cross bonding in accordance with chapter 5 article 4.3 of the 16th edition of the IEE regs. Therefore he will need to be a qualified electrician.
    Andy

You are right and wrong. To install or updrade equipotential bonding does not require a qualified electrician as long as it meets the requirements of Part P and is notified. Also a qualified electrician is not necessarily registered for self certification under Part P.

Besides that, you are assuming the thermostatic shower will not be part of the mixer which would of course be connected to the existing pipes which may or may not have been bonded previously.

In fact, it is debatable as to whether fitting a seperate shower to a bathroom without any bonding (of which there are many done every year, and most do not satisfy current regs to begin with) requires this to be done and I would bet that not many do.

I recently bought a property with gas heating and before completion my solicitor asked for a retrospective building control cert for the installation as this did not exist. Guess what ... when I checked there was NO bonding to ANY pipes, no RCD, ancient wiring with no earth worth talking about and they issued a cert !! No problem really as I needed to rewire the house completely anyway so it was easy to do it right.

Anyway, adding a couple of bits of wire isnt going to add much to the price which was the original question ;)
  • i could come to n london (im the tiler) with
    friend(corgi reg plumber)
    supply the lot tiles, suite, labour, fitting, for £4800 !
  • Was about to say the same thing tilemeister.I reckon at them prices i could stay in a nice hotel and make a holiday of it.
  • booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    Hey Tilemeister and Woodbutcher. I'll meet you there and we'll knock it out over the weekend between us at that price!!! :beer:

Andy
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good morning: I do know a CORGI registered plumber who has his Part P, is an excellent tiler and can do general building works as well...but I am biased as he has been my partner for 7 years now. We have just moved to East Kent after relocating from the south coast (renovated our home there, sold it online and used an online conveyancer as well.. we like a bargain!)

Good luck with your search.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It does sound expensive - I recently did my bathroom with completely new stuff (except for the thermostatic mixer shower which was only a couple of years old) including tiling the entire wall surface, an expensive cabinet and a whirlpool bath. I did some of the work myself (fitting the floor, painting the ceiling and door etc and fixing accessories to the walls) and paid around £800 for the rest of the labour. The whole job came in at around £3200. I think I paid around £350 to have the shower supplied and fitted a couple of years ago.

The people I had in to do the job were personal recommendations from someone who's lived in the area for years - I certainly think this is the best way to find tradespeople.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills