IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

B W legal

Options
Hi all, I am after some advise please,
My partner had a parking fine of £60.00, due to one thing or another she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
On the 16th Feb 17 my partner received a letter from B. W Legal as follows,
We write with reference to the above matter and our previous telephone conversations.
We confirm that we have received the total sum of £60.00. Accordingly, your debt under the above Account Number is satisfied which brings this matter to a close.
then today 16th March she received a letter saying that the direct debit of £0 had not been paid and that an immediate payment of £00 is now due, at the head of the letter it says balance due £68.00,
She spoke to them today to question the matter and was told that both letters were a mistake and the balance of £68.00 is still owing,
My question is can they do this???

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    they are a law firm and can and do almost anything they wish to

until it gets to court in front of a judge , they can do as they please as its an unregulated industry

you could complain to the SRA and enclose copies of all the paperwork
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The SRA are as in bed with this scam as all the rest, dirty money is easy money.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The SRA are as in bed with this scam as all the rest, dirty money is easy money.

Yes, everyone should be aware of any solicitor who is a member of the SRA ..... you might get scammed
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Yes, everyone should be aware of any solicitor who is a member of the SRA ..... you might get scammed

They could always ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with all these complaints which violate just about every code of practice they have.
    That is how you avoid getting roped in to the scam.

Private parking is, still is and always will be a scam, no matter how many judges, solicitors or MP's warm to the idea.
    It is a scam and all those involved are scammers along with all those that cover and help them.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It is a scam and all those involved are scammers along with all those that cover and help them.

some of them are PERVS too :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
    She can't have set up a DD to pay this. Maybe a Standing Order?

What a shame, this wasn't to be paid and isn't a real fine. Having said that, the only way to resolve these nasty threats from Excel is tending to be by defending well in court, like this poster just did:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5614752

Stop ringing the scum. Has any money come out of her Bank Account?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • yotmon
    yotmon Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, I am after some advise please,
    My partner had a parking fine of £60.00, due to one thing or another she didn't reply to it in time and the fine grew to £128.00. She set up a direct debit to pay the fine as she is ill and money is tight for her,
    On the 16th Feb 17 my partner received a letter from B. W Legal as follows,
    We write with reference to the above matter and our previous telephone conversations.
    We confirm that we have received the total sum of £60.00. Accordingly, your debt under the above Account Number is satisfied which brings this matter to a close.
    then today 16th March she received a letter saying that the direct debit of £0 had not been paid and that an immediate payment of £00 is now due, at the head of the letter it says balance due £68.00,
    She spoke to them today to question the matter and was told that both letters were a mistake and the balance of £68.00 is still owing,
    My question is can they do this???

You should have accepted their letter as read and not bothered to contact them. You had proof that they had accepted your payment of £60.00, which covered their 'fine'. The rest was just add-ons that had nothing to do with the original invoice. I would have loved to have seen their attempt to explain to a judge what the actual 'costs' were and being forced to provide a breakdown on how it was conceived.
  • arthurx1234
    arthurx1234 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:08AM
    Options

Still waiting for my reply from SRA 4 weeks after their own deadline
    Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills