5p bag charge - your views

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Some of the regular customers at my work have NEVER bought in their own bags and ALWAYS bought one.

Plus seen other customers in other shops asking for a carrier bag even they can put their purchases into a bag they currently have. Not like putting clothes in food shopping.

Only bought one 5p bag - Lakeland and so worth the 5p.

These people I have mentioned above could easily spent £45-50 on carrier bags.

There are tenants in the block of flats use the 10p bags for life as bin bags. Stupid as bin bags are CHEAPER.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Some of the regular customers at my work have NEVER bought in their own bags and ALWAYS bought one.

Plus seen other customers in other shops asking for a carrier bag even they can put their purchases into a bag they currently have. Not like putting clothes in food shopping.

Only bought one 5p bag - Lakeland and so worth the 5p.

These people I have mentioned above could easily spent £45-50 on carrier bags.

There are tenants in the block of flats use the 10p bags for life as bin bags. Stupid as bin bags are CHEAPER.

So they have bought 900 to 1000 bags?
    That would be circa 20 bags a week.
    On a side note,you seem to take this quite personally.
    Embrace these people visit your store and have disposable income.
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    My tips would be:

1. Take your own bags
    2. If you have to buy bags because you forgot them
    (a) buy bags for life or foldup bags and stash in car or handbag or both
    (b) if an Ocado customer, hand to driver with others and get refunded as normal.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    This 5p bag charge is a complete rip off and is a tax as some of it goes to the government for supposed good causes. After having 0.7% of GDP going on foreign aid with no consultation with the British people I feel very ripped off and certainly don't want to spend even more of my tax £ on charity, which should begin at home. If there was a referendum on the foriegn aid budget, I'm sure it would be cancelled.

approx 1p goes to the government as VAT.

The other 4p goes to the retailer, they should then donate it to charity, less costs.

Most retailers post on their website who they are donating it to. The charity choices are decided by the retailers NOT the government.

http://help.marksandspencer.com/support/company-website/carrier-bags

http://www.tesco.com/carrier-bags/

http://your.asda.com/news-and-blogs/carrier-bag-charges-england-2015
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    It's time people got over this, it has happened and will not be reversed.
  • Gnocchi
    Gnocchi Posts: 860 Forumite
    If you shop with Ocado you can hand over any single use bags and get the 5p off your shopping. My record is 18 bags so 90p
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 December 2016 at 7:50PM
    I was in asda today. I saw that there frozen turkeys were half price. I hadn't gone in with intention of buying any meat only needed a bit of salad, bread and milk. But bargain queen I am I decided to get a turkey. I had a bag for life for my bread salad and milk. I asked the checkout assistant for a bag for the frozen turkey and she offered me a 5p carrier bag. When I checked my receipt she had charged me. So I asked the question at customer services as I thought raw meat and fish if bagged alone should be entitled to a free plastic bag. I was told I could only have a free veg bag which obviously the turkey would not fit into. Is this correct. I didn't feel happy that my frozen turkey would sit next to my salad bread and milk.
  • I was in asda today. I saw that there frozen turkeys were half price. I hadn't gone in with intention of buying any meat only needed a bit of salad, bread and milk. But bargain queen I am I decided to get a turkey. I had a bag for life for my bread salad and milk. I asked the checkout assistant for a bag for the frozen turkey and she offered me a 5p carrier bag. When I checked my receipt she had charged me. So I asked the question at customer services as I thought raw meat and fish if bagged alone should be entitled to a free plastic bag. I was told I could only have a free veg bag which obviously the turkey would not fit into. Is this correct. I didn't feel happy that my frozen turkey would sit next to my salad bread and milk.

They can give you a bag to put the raw meat in but they law doesn't say that they *have* to give you a 5p bag for free it can be any bag of their choosing. Anyway frozen meat isn't going to harm anything.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They don't have bags big enough for a frozen turkey. I just asked for a bag so that I didn't have to put my turkey next to my salad and bread. I know that the turkey is in a plastic wrapping but it isn't air or water tight seal as when they defrost the blood and water can leak out. If they had offered me any bag of there choosing then that would have been fine
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They don't have bags big enough for a frozen turkey. I just asked for a bag so that I didn't have to put my turkey next to my salad and bread. I know that the turkey is in a plastic wrapping but it isn't air or water tight seal as when they defrost the blood and water can leak out. If they had offered me any bag of there choosing then that would have been fine

A couple of supermarkets had them - Sainsburys and another. You can reuse the bags but can't exchange then when fall.to bits as it was a free bag.

I did a Christmas food ordering with Sainsburys and I got two food ordering bags. One of them, mum put all the turkey packaging etc and threw it straight into the bin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure