PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

1580581582583584586»

Comments

• Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Thanks for that - well...I'd better have some juicy fruit to hand to put with it to "take the edge" off any dryness in case.

Don't suppose you tried making up any recipes with it did you? - or was it that bad that the birds got lucky?

No sorry I dont bake...best of luck with it :)
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Reverbe wrote: »
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Thanks for that - well...I'd better have some juicy fruit to hand to put with it to "take the edge" off any dryness in case.

Don't suppose you tried making up any recipes with it did you? - or was it that bad that the birds got lucky?

No sorry I dont bake...best of luck with it :)

Bad muesli can always be turned into flapjacks.. I make my flapjacks with a mix of muesli base and oats anyway (to which I also add sunflower and pumpkin seeds) and whatever dried fruit I've got which needs using up (currently an ood kilo of dried unsulphured apricots - the ones left are a bit too dry to eat by themselves, so they're being thrown into flapjacks, couscous, lamb dishes, cakes...:)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Rubbish museli can be used in crumbles too....
  • OH declared he was taking a spontaneous day at home to finish the hedge cutting he'd started at the weekend so I thought I'd bake a cake for our mid-morning coffee break. I fancied something different, but didn't want to go the shops so after peering into the dark recesses of my cupboards I came up with "apricot and marizpan sponge".

I put around 125g of dried apricots in some warm water to rehydrate, and took half a packet of marzipan (left over from heaven knows when, but stored in a lock and lock so still nice and soft) and cut it into 1cm chunks. I made a basic all-in-one sponge mix, folded in the marzipan and then spooned it into a 8in cake tine. Then I put the apricots on top and bunged it in the fan oven at 160 deg for 45 minutes. The end result was much better than I deserved! The marzipan had sort of melted and formed a sweet chewy layer towards the bottom of the cake, then the apricots were throughout the cake. Nom nom nom, now I must write it down before I forget it.

Hope everyone is getting off to an ok start to the week.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    shiny new `tough` thread folks. Out with the old, in with the new

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3380314
  • Softstuff wrote: »
    is it possible to wash feather and down pillows to rid the covers of mould? I ask this rather than just go out and buy since they're so darned expensive here.

This was prolly answered PAGES ago :rotfl:but I thought I'd reply anyway...YES, I wash my feather pillows. Just make sure they're completely dry and well aired before using again. I give them a good 2 days when drying naturally (which is better anyway, because they make a HUGE mess if they burst/split in the tumble drier!!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure