how many nights can a b/friend stay whilst on benefits?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    ukdickie31 wrote: »
    why don't you just declare that you occasionally have a BF round to stay to the DWP.

Let them decide.

In my experience it is those that are honest and upfront that end up getting into trouble (but that's a rant I'll save for a more suitable thread!).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oh dear, there is a bit of sniping against the the poor OP who has come here for a bit of genuine MSE advice. She has not asked for moral judgements.

So far as I can see, she is doing nothing wrong within the rules regarding claiming benefits.

Perhaps those who dislike the situation could take it up with the government who make these rules, rather than the citizen who keeps to the rules.

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    terryw wrote: »
    Oh dear, there is a bit of sniping against the the poor OP who has come here for a bit of genuine MSE advice. She has not asked for moral judgements.

Who's sniping against the OP? :confused:
  • Its clear no-one hear really knows the answer to your circumstances.

It is up to you to declare this arrangement to DWP and a Decision Maker will look at the evidence and circumstances and decide if you are living as a couple / family unit. This may involve a home visit and or interview at the DWP office with you both.

There is no specific number of nights rule etc it is whether he is contributing financially, or expected to your household and support you as his partner.

I would advise you to declare this change of circumstance before someone else does which could lead to this being misconstrued as fraud. DWP are actively pursuing and increasing these type of undeclared changes of circumstances. TV ads will be appearing soon about this.
  • cher1977 you asked a question and in no way was I judging you.

I was merely providing advice and since this arrangement has been ongoing for 8 months I was advising you to declare it because if someone else does before you this would not be misconstrued as fraud. I work in the DWP and therefore come across cases similar to yours everyday.

If you are on Income Support why have you not been receiving Mortgage Interest assistance?

I can only imagine it must be very hard for people in your circumstances but do not be put off asking for advice again. It's life (and human nature) - some people have positive advice others negative.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cher1977 wrote: »
    its bloody hard let me tell you, and can get no help whatsoever with the motgage, but yet people on income support get there rent paid! how is that fair????

Not having a go, but you may wanna be a little careful saying stuff like that, just causes arguments...Personally, I find going out to work 40odd hours per week quite hard - and certainly couldn't afford to own my own home at the moment...so I guess everyone has their problems. Not really a case of "fair" etc.
  • Unfortunately IB is not an Income Based benefit and therefore no Mortgage Interest assistance is provided for. If your ex-husband is on the mortgage as joint owner he is equally responsible for the payments. Have you consulted a solicitor on this matter?

As you have two children and are a lone parent it may be better financially for you to claim IS where you will receive Mortgage interest assistance. This is £60.50 p/w but as you are on DLA you can claim your own carers allowance and receive an additional premium on top of your IS approx £28.00.

I agree that the system is unfair but its parliament who set the laws and legislation.

I would suggest you contact Citizens Advice to get a better off calculation. They will contact DWP with your circumstances and they will report back what benefits you can claim and what benefit you would be better off claimng.
  • nissan25 wrote: »
    I would suggest you contact Citizens Advice to get a better off calculation. They will contact DWP with your circumstances and they will report back what benefits you can claim and what benefit you would be better off claimng.

Just to clear this up we do not contact the DWP to do a benefits check, we have our own 'Quick Benefits Check' on our computers that we use. It is very similar to www.entitledto.co.uk . We are also very experienced in the benefits system so we have our own advisernet that we look up for any relevant information. We would never pass on client's details without their knowledge due to confidentiality clauses and data protection.

To the op, as others have said there is not set criteria that says what nights one is allowed to stay. It much depends on things like do you have finacial links, same doctors, electrol roll, do you holiday together, joint assets, where the mail is sent. It is very complex so you need to be very careful and they look at each claimant's personal circumstances, so what goes for one person won't necessarily apply to another.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    nissan25 wrote: »
    Its clear no-one hear really knows the answer to your circumstances.

It is up to you to declare this arrangement to DWP and a Decision Maker will look at the evidence and circumstances and decide if you are living as a couple / family unit. This may involve a home visit and or interview at the DWP office with you both.

There is no specific number of nights rule etc it is whether he is contributing financially, or expected to your household and support you as his partner.

I would advise you to declare this change of circumstance before someone else does which could lead to this being misconstrued as fraud. DWP are actively pursuing and increasing these type of undeclared changes of circumstances. TV ads will be appearing soon about this.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

The OP is doing nothing wrong within the rules for benefit claimants.

If she is doing nothing that is against the rules then there is no reason for her to "declare" anything. If a boyfriend decides to stay the night or two nights or three nights or four nights then so what? This is not against the rules. He pays no money for this. Within the rules this is quite acceptable.

Pray, tell us please, at what point should things be "declared"?

I can only reiterate.........the fault lies with government not with claimants.

terryw
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Jeepers creepers.

He's been going out with her for 8 months, is crashing round her place a couple of times a week, isn't costing her anything...and she's supposed to ask him for money? How does that conversation go?

"can you give me some money please"
    "what for?"
    "the heating"
    "Eh?"
    "while you're round here, you're making use of the heating."
    "but it would be on anyway"
    "yes, I know, but I think you should pay for some, anyway"
    "err...but *you* don't actually pay for the heating, anyway?"
    "yes, I know, but I think you should pay for some, anyway"
    "err...no...bye"

A "real man" will offer to contribute for things he's cost someone.
    A *mug* will spontaneously offer to pay for stuff for the hell of it.

Shes a woman on her own with two kids, struggling to get by.

Hes a single working man.

Hes around there almost half the week & shes asking would it cause her problems with the social if he stayed more, so i guess we are talking most of the week.

Yes I think hes almost half living there now & if he stays anymore i8t will be his primary address & if hes NOT paying a penny, hes freeloading.

How many people would honestly expect to virtually live somewhere for free?

I'm just warning the OP to be very sus of a man that doesn't want to pay towards the hot water & food & whatever else hes using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure