PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Comments

• Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    I've just bought a Janome
    overlocker and am v. excited (sad but true!). I have watched the dvd
    and had a play and have also rethreaded it.
    Now I want to use it!!!! but of course need loads of thread.
    Can anyone advise me on the best threads to use for man made fibres and
    also the best place to buy thread cheaply.
    Thanks in advance.

Mrs Flittersnoop answered this question for me a while back and here is
    her advice.

Don't go mad buying loads of
    different colour cottons if you intend just to use the machine for seam
    finishing etc - you can manage with just the basics, cream, white, grey
    and black, most fabrics can be finished almost invisibly with these
    (you might want to add blue and rose as well later on).
    I get most of my threads from www.empressmills.co.uk although I have to
    say their online shopping basket is a bit odd - you might be better off
    giving them a ring, they're pretty quick and efficient.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Rikki
    Quick question:

I need to finish a seem to take up a pair of trousers. Do I use a two thread overcast stich. Will this be enough for a 94% polyester / 6% elastane fabric? :confused:
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Rikki
    Where can I buy a Blind Hem foot for my Elna overlocker? :confused:

NPFM 21
  • Hi Rikki, you could try Howdens, www.howdenssewingmachines.co.uk - I've just had a snoop around the site, you have to click on your Elna model and then the accessory page comes up.

I've also just seen your trouser seam question - sorry, didn't see it before, but I would use a three thread myself because it's stretchier than a two thread overcast. I only tend to use two threads for fairly fine fabrics where three threads would be a bit too heavy for the seam allowances and might show a press through the right side of the fabric.

HTH
    Mrs Fx
  • have just seen this, its in stock at my local tesco extra
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3990.aspx
    i have never used an overlocker before but have been sewing on my trusty bernina for many years.i have fancied one for some time just wondered what the experienced peeps out there thought of the spec.
    thanks for any help
    merry christmas:beer:
    :hello: :j
  • Rikki
    It comes down to personal preference.

I tried several different ones at sewing shop before I made my choice and bought an ex demonstration model in the end.

I use my overlocker to neaten seems before taking them up as well as making complete outfits. You will still need to use your normal machine too.

I have an Elna overlocker, but then that is the same make as my sewing machine so maybe there is a preference there.

The overlocker you are looking at does the same as most overlockers. It will come down to ease threading the machine and cost.
    I am not familiar with the tension knobs on the front of the overlocker as mine has the tension dials along the top of the machine.

Can you look at different machines before you buy?

* Mrs Flittersnoop goes into shock everytime this thread gets resurrected.* :rotfl:

NPFM 21
  • Hiya,

I hope this is the right place to post! My mum has always wanted an overlocker, but never got one as they are expensive. I have been looking at getting her a 2nd hand one as a present because I know she'd love it, but I'm not sure what sort to get?

At the moment I'm looking at a Sewland one, but I've seen 2nd hand Necchi one for a bit more and Toyota Power lock one which says that it cuts the fabric too which I can't work out if the others do.

Has anyone used any of these and does anyone have any advice for what might be best? Thanks!
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

I have an overlocker but not used any of these models. THere's a forum called 'sewing forum' that might be able to help you. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/index.php here it is
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy wrote: »
    Hi

I have an overlocker but not used any of these models. THere's a forum called 'sewing forum' that might be able to help you. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/index.php here it is

Is that on MSE? :confused:
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No, it's another forum HariboJ
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family