Should I ask my student son to pay housekeeping?

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Peter333 wrote: »
    This ^^^ With bells on. The student grant is for living expenses; therefore some of it should be passed onto the parents if the adult child is living at home whilst doing their degree. If they lived in halls, they wouldn't be keeping the whole grant to themselves! They would be paying for their rent and bills and food for it!

You do know student grants went out a little while ago?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • i am also in scotland and my daughter pays 30% of her student loan and bursary (her older brother did the same too). as previous posters have said it is to help with living costs so she pays it, also to teach her that all the things she uses costs money, electricity/gas/water/food/toiletries. She also has a part time job but we don't include that when working out what she has to pay.
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Peter333 wrote: »
    This ^^^ With bells on. The student grant is for living expenses; therefore some of it should be passed onto the parents if the adult child is living at home whilst doing their degree. If they lived in halls, they wouldn't be keeping the whole grant to themselves! They would be paying for their rent and bills and food for it!

In reality, for those living away from home, the loan is not sufficient to cover the rent never mind pay for other living expenses, so most parents end up contributing. Add to that the government expects a lot of parents to contribute, Martin Lewis wrote a blog about the amount the government expects parents to cough up.

For a student living at home, there is an overall saving than living away, so it isn't unreasonable for a parent to cover the cost of this if they can afford to do so.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ask him to contribute and let him decided the amount rather than you telling him.
  • Hi all!

We've asked for students' point of view on the Student MoneySaving Board so you may find a few students joining in :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    dont be so tight, he is in full time education not working full time. If you need money that badly maybe you should look at your own finances.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If he had surplus of £500 a month as disposable income then yes he should be paying you at least £25 a week IMO.
  • I moved out at 18 to go to university but I moved home for a few months after I graduated. I paid for the internet bill (which was £50 with the tv) and £20 a week towards my upkeep. I would have found a way of paying if my mom hadn't taken it. I was only part time so this was about a third of my wages, but if I could do it again I'd pay the same, if not more.
    University was essential for me to learn to be better with my money, and if your son is living at home he should be paying something towards it. You'll be helping him learn to budget out rent and his other expenses out of his income which he will thank you for later on.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    You do know student grants went out a little while ago?

Only this year for many.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes he needs to chip in. He has more disposable income than many adults - this guy has his cake and eat it at the mo
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport