The Great British Mobility Group

Have you been ripped off , let down or badly treated by this company?
If you have please let me have some details. I want to build up a dossier of victims so that I can bring this company to book. But I need your story.

I have read so many stories about elderly people being ripped off for thousands of pounds for grossly over priced items.

I will really appreciate any help you can give me at this research stage. A lot of people don’t realise that the traumatic effect of being ripped off and bullied has on the health of elderly folk. It shouldn’t happen. E-mail me if you can help

Comments

• trumpton
    trumpton Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Hi Jim. Unfortunately, this field (pressure selling to the elderly) is not rigorously regulated and is usually commission based, so the opportunities for fraudulent and oportunistic behaviour (to put it mildly) is massive.

There are several firms already posted about on MSE, most recently the very nasty Virgo Healthcare. I see you have already seen the large thread on GBM - unfortunately people tend to post once about them and them don't check for messages etc, so it is difficult to get back in touch.

I see they have been in trouble with ASA:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA-action/Adjudications/2009/2/The-Great-British-Mobility-Group/TF_ADJ_45749.aspx

I can only suggest you try Watchdog/Rogue Traders and local newspapers who may be interested in a personal story. Trading Standards are very hit and miss with these kind of companies, but anyone with a complaint needs to go through them so they can make sure they continue to collect evidence.
  • Thanks trumpton. I was aware of the report from the, Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) but the Great British Mobility Group (GBMG) have completely ignored them and are still running their “Buy one get one free” advertising campaign.
    Unfortunately the TV companies, like, rogue traders and watchdog have to attract viewers, one complaint doesn’t make a summer, but if I could provide them with a hundred complaints they will run with it.

This company (GBMG) thinks it is above the law, most of the elderly people who have been ripped off by this firm are simply too weak and/or too ill to put up a fight. I will take up that fight for them with vigour, aggression and a passion and give these poor folk back their pride. Very often the feeling of inadequacy and the inability to fight back hurts and causes more pain than the financial loss.

To succeed in this I need lot of cases to make people sit up. This is what I am doing now, gathering information and cases.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards

Jim
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I note you are from Derbyshire so try calling PC Shealagh Ensor on 0345 123 3333, who works for a special team targetting this sort of crime.

You could also try calling Trading Standards to see if they would contact Watchdog too, with cases they already have on file - that would mean contacting the 'home authority' where Great British Mobility are based.

I know that Great British Mobility advertise in the Motability magazine - try contacting them, telling them of your concerns and other advertisers too.

Also contact the ASA if they are breaching advertising rules and if found in your favour, use this as a 'lever' to pressurize Trading Standards and advertising magazines. If they keep breaching advertising rules, ASA will act to stop advertising.

But, remember, ASA only look at paid-for advertising, so cannot look at companies own websites!

Trading Standards departments would love to bring such companies to task but months of investigation often end in failure because the vulnerable do not make good witnesses at court!
  • angela_55
    angela_55 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Have you been ripped off , let down or badly treated by this company?
    If you have please let me have some details. I want to build up a dossier of victims so that I can bring this company to book. But I need your story.

I have read so many stories about elderly people being ripped off for thousands of pounds for grossly over priced items.

I will really appreciate any help you can give me at this research stage. A lot of people don’t realise that the traumatic effect of being ripped off and bullied has on the health of elderly folk. It shouldn’t happen. E-mail me if you can help
    my elderly mother has been waiting since April for a £450 refund from this group, having made numerous phone calls and being promised a call back I have recieved 1 which said a refund would be in June, to date no refund and disgraceful customer service, my mother cancelled her order of a bed for my termilly ill father with in 7 days cooling off period. Please let no other elderly person be subjected to this company.
  • trumpton
    Angela, if you haven't already done so, I strongly urge you to cobtact Trading Standards through Consumer Direct: 08454 04 05 06

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

They need to be aware of every single case involving this company so that they can build a case against them. As with so many other companies that prey on the elderly, I believe they withold refunds in the hope that the person will simply give up, or I suspect be too ill or frail to persist, or even die.

Remember it is always worth trying your credit card company for a charge back if you paid by cc. Please keep us updated.
  • Paul_Varjak
    I think everyone who has problems with scoundrels like this should also report them to the magazine they saw the advert in.
  • angela_55
    angela_55 Posts: 5 Forumite
    my mother paid with her debit card however my brother had phoned her bank to ask them to stop any payment within the 7 dayperiod, we have her bank statement that shows it was taken out on the 31st march, this was at least 2 weeks later after the cancellation, would the bank then have to be liable to give her refund as the failed to follow the instrution made, thanks for your advice.
  • trumpton
    Did you cancel with the company in writing? If so they should not have taken the money. I would certainly get on to the bank again, although I thought debit card transactions came out the same day or the next day.
  • Paul_Varjak
    I think once you have authorised a debit card transaction, the card company has to honour that irrespective of any instruction you may give to the card after the treansaction was authorised.

Unfortunately, you are not protected under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as it was a debit card purchase, so you cannot hold the card company liable.

You could (depending on the type of debit card) ask the card issuer to issue a 'chargeback' but the the mobility company could challenge this. However, if there is proof that there was a cancellation withon the 7 day period then any challenge by the company could, perhaps, be viewed as 'fraudulent'.
  • Contact the Mirror newspaper!

The reporters are called penman and sommerlad they are fantastic! my partner was scammed and they investigated it and printed it in the paper, their investigations also show up on google web searches! if you go to the mirror website u will find them under mirror investigates! and they love exposing these con company websites and ads to public!

regards

Kirsty
    xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills