PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ha ha! Yes, very nippy yesterday and last night!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • noodles86
    noodles86 Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ooh its getting a colder we had gloves & scarves for school run this morning! Put the heating on for an hour last night which was a nice blast!

Winter prep left to do;

Flu jab
    Defrost freezer
    Cardboard for boot of car for wet pushchair wheels
    Deep clean dd1's bedroom
    Deep clean dd2's bedroom
    Deep clean family bathroom
    Deep clean our room
    Deep clean en suite
    Deep clean hall, stairs & landing
    Deep clean study
    Deep clean downstairs loo
    Deep clean kitchen
    Deep clean utility

Really hope to get all cleaning done by 27th Oct latest, ready for half term!
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Heating on a little last night and this morning, I did not "feel" any improvement in the bedroom with having the radfleck behind the radiator. The room didn't seem to heat up any quicker or get any warmer. I did do a little test this morning and felt the wall behind the radfleck and behind a different radiator (without radfleck), the wall behind the radfleck was cold and was warm behind the radiator without it. So obviously less heat going into the wall, will try and do another radiator tonight and the rest over the weekend. Hopefully it will help with the bills even if I'm not feeling any benefit.

It won't be warmer per se unless you change the thermostat but the idea is that your boiler won't be working as hard to keep you at the temperature you're set at. If that makes sense, lol :D hence reducing energy consumption.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bossymoo wrote: »
    It won't be warmer per se unless you change the thermostat but the idea is that your boiler won't be working as hard to keep you at the temperature you're set at. If that makes sense, lol :D hence reducing energy consumption.

The radiator I did was in the bedroom and Thermostat is downstairs so was hoping, that it would help the room to heat up a bit quicker/spread the heat a bit better before the termostat switched the boiler off. The upstairs radiators aren't really sufficient for the size of the rooms. Especially the main bedroom. Unfortunately without having it absolutely boiling downstairs, I think its always going to be cold in the bedrooms. Bathroom is fine now that I have the Towel radiator in there its a bit more powerful than the old radiator. Really hoping that as the walls aren't as cold, I will use a little less gas. Will try and do the two teeny upstairs radiators tonight and see what difference that makes. Mind you it seems a bit milder today, fingers crossed won't need to put the heating on again till the morning.
  • SuiDreams
    Also all the extra insulation I've put in the airing cupboard to keep the water in the pipes/tank warm for longer has probably meant that its even colder upstairs as the lowere heat loss from the tank/pipes means lower heat gain to the surronding area.
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Im so behind with my winter prep and boy oh boy can I tell the weather has changed today - its blowing a gale here in my little welsh valley and by crumbs its proper cold and the winter is moving in.

I will be sitting down tonight to try and make a plan for things to do, where to heat proof etc and make sure I get started.

I had the fire on last night for a few hours because I was so codl

had a letter from swalec - im £136 in credit with my gas and I owe £27 to the electric man - so I'm leaving it put for this winter coming as its going to be a cold one I think

Did find out my long curtains, draught excluders, fleece blankets, tea lights , hot water bottles and the kids sleeping bags last night!

right better go and make my list!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I give up. tidied house today, sat down n its gale force winds out there......heatings on!!
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
  • Afternoon/Evening all. It's getting very dark already so I'm having to have the light on in the living room. When DD goes to bed at 7, I will pop some candles on instead. Does anyone know of any good candles holders that light up the room more?

Off to the laundrette tomorrow morning, my washing machine has a timer so I will set it to finish at 7am and put another load in so I can get down there to dry all the clothes. Don't want to make the house any more damp with having washing lying around.

Updated my list and still have a few things to do. I better get a wiggle on!

Sewing list:
    1.Line DD's curtains with fleece as her room is single glazed. (We are renting and can't change them ourselves otherwise we would!)
    2.Make a curtain for the front door, line curtains in living room and bedroom.
    3.Sew up all holey socks and sort through the odd socks!
    4.Repair boots with soles bought from Ebay (glue on) and insert some thermal insoles 99p shop.
    5.Made DD some fleece pyjama bottoms and find a fleece hoodie/jumper for her to wear to bed on colder nights.
    6.Sort through winter clothes, mend what needs mending and wash all ready.

To buy list:
    1.Buy dressing gown for OH and DD (mine just needs a good clean and sewing up where needed).
    2.Source some thermal socks and leg warmers for me and DD.
    3.New slippers for me and DD.
    4.Order DD a thicker quilt as she only has a summer one.
    5.Stock up on candles for emergencies and also for living room. I lit about 8 last winter each day and it warmed the house up well. Each 8 lasted about a week or more. Found tea lights worked well in holders and made the room feel nicer.
    6.Buy bigger slow cooker for winter warming dinners.
    7.Coats for everyone! Been trying to get by on a rain mack for the last 2 years and i've frozen my bum off!.
    8.New scarf, gloves and hat for DD, New gloves for me and OH.
    9.Stock up on medicines (will do this gradually from Home bargains).
    10.Stock up on UHT milk, teabags, coffee, sugar(and sweeteners) and some cereals.
    11.Find some nice flannel sheets for our bed and DD's bed.
    12.Buy hot drink items when on offer. (hot chocs, malt drinks etc which are perfect for warming us up).
    13.UMBRELLAS!! this is the most important thing. I had a fight with mine last winter and it ended up in the street bin as it broke into pieces.

More things I need to do!:
    1. Buy new pyjamas for me. Already bought some onesies for DD and OH got 2 pairs of pyjama bottoms as he has been feeling the cold. He's paired them with some old plain t-shirts he never wears so that was cheaper for us! lol. I need some new pyjamas as mine are mainly 3/4 length bottoms and short tops. Too chilly for that!
    2. Stock up on non-perishables ASAP.

Need to make sure the rest is done by the end of the month. I'm Slacking badly and need a kick up the bum! Sorry for the waffling! I never know when to stop ;)

Goals: Save £500 for emergencies, Save £200 of Amazon vouchers for Xmas, fix my holey clothes!
    Frugal living 2014
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Put a mirror behind the candles :)
  • SuiDreams
    gave up and put the heating on its just too cold otherwise. Hopefully doing a bit of shopping tomorrow, so should get to knock a few bits off my list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure