Free solar power system. Is it a scam?

Microbeman
Microbeman Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 22 February 2013 at 4:30PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

If you landed on this page, perhaps via Google, looking for information about solar panels, please also read the full Free solar panels? guide on the main site

Back to the original post........

Hi fellow MSE users.
I have been offered a free solar power system by this company called "a shade greener". They have a website (just google ashadegreener) sorry not allowed to post links as a new member.
Basically they are offering to install a photovoltaic solar system for free so that they can get some government money available next year aimed at getting more of these systems in use. All maintenance is by them but I get the benefit of having cheaper electricity. My house fits their criteria (south facing) and they are going to get in touch to give me more details but it just seems too good to be true. Is it a scam? Is a a marketing ploy to get a foot in my door or is it genuine? Some close friends have had their house turned down on the basis that it didn't face South so they are not just offering it to everybody. Has anybody had any experience of this company or has more knowledge of the government scheme. I'd be very interested to know before they visit me.
Thanks
Microbeman

:confused:

Comments

• Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    From their FAQs:
    Q Can we purchase the panels off you if we want to at some point?
    A We are not in the business of selling solar panels, but in some instances we may consider it.

So they install them for free, but you don't own them and it's not their intention that you should ever own them? But they may consider selling them to you?

Maybe they charge you rent on the panels? Or maybe an extortionate fee to remove them?
  • Hi volcano
    I had not thought about rent. I just saw FREE and assumed it meant just that but as you point out it only says free installation.

I had considered the removal costs if I change my mind and it is one of the questions I intend to ask when they get in touch. I would have thought there must be some sort of minimum period which again will be interesting to find out.

More points or questions welcomed

Thanks
    Microbeman
  • free solar panels - to good to be true

1/ they probably charge for BOS
    balance of system - the inverter - roof mounting systems
    and installation etc
    2/ maybe they collect the money from the FIT feed in tarriffs
    lease your roof - common in europe but only a very large roofs

if you need a pv system let me know

Microbeman wrote: »
    Hi volcano
    I had not thought about rent. I just saw FREE and assumed it meant just that but as you point out it only says free installation.

I had considered the removal costs if I change my mind and it is one of the questions I intend to ask when they get in touch. I would have thought there must be some sort of minimum period which again will be interesting to find out.

More points or questions welcomed

Thanks
    Microbeman
  • they must either rent/lease your roof and collect the FIT
    feed in tarrifs - or supply panels free but charge for the BOS
    balance of system - inverters , installation etc

w
    Microbeman wrote: »
    Hi fellow MSE users.
    I have been offered a free solar power system by this company called "a shade greener". They have a website (just google ashadegreener) sorry not allowed to post links as a new member.
    Basically they are offering to install a photovoltaic solar system for free so that they can get some government money available next year aimed at getting more of these systems in use. All maintenance is by them but I get the benefit of having cheaper electricity. My house fits their criteria (south facing) and they are going to get in touch to give me more details but it just seems too good to be true. Is it a scam? Is a a marketing ploy to get a foot in my door or is it genuine? Some close friends have had their house turned down on the basis that it didn't face South so they are not just offering it to everybody. Has anybody had any experience of this company or has more knowledge of the government scheme. I'd be very interested to know before they visit me.
    Thanks
    Microbeman

:confused:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    daytona600 wrote: »

if you need a pv system let me know

You have been told before that you should not tout for business on MSE.
  • hhmmmmmmmmm I think maybe it is too good to be true. My Husband is a Solar Installer and I know that these systems are expensive so I cannot see how it would be free so Maybe just be careful before getting involved, just my opinion!

Keep us posted xx
    :confused: I NEED TO CHANGE MY BAD LUCK RUN!!!!:confused:
  • Thanks for your replies,
    They have not got in touch yet so I am still none the wiser. I will post when I know more.

Microbeman
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just remember, nothing is free...........
  • We were alerted through our website about this particular thread. I belong to the company A Shade Greener Ltd. This is not a scam. There are no hidden costs, rentals, extortionate costs of removal etc as suggested by the other posters We thought that we had made it clear through our website, by being as transparent as possible, but obviously we haven't made it clear enough. It is nothing to do with Feed in Tariffs - that system will be stopped next year - we will get our income through the new Generation Tariff that will come into force in April 2010. We have actually been liaising with Whitehall about this - there should be an announcement about the new Generation Tariff in the first week in January 2010. My colleague is in the process of contacting Mr Lewis as we want to invite him to our company to show him exactly how we are operating and how we are able to do this. Please ring me on the number provided on our website and I will be happy to meet with you in person and show you what we are doing and how we are doing it.

Sarah Dyson - A Shade Greener Ltd
  • Volcano - To clarify - we do retain ownership of the panels, at no point have we ever insinuated that we give them away - we have tried to make it very clear that we retain ownership because we will be paid for the electricity that they generate - that is how we will get our income. We fit them for free and let the homeowner use the electricity that is generated. Our website explains this. As for charging extortionate fees for them to be removed - the person having them fitted would have to sign a contract agreeing to such extortionate fees and nobody is going to do that.

Sarah Dyson - A Shade Greener Ltd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport