Do you need a chimney for a wood burning stove?

Hi,

We are house hunting and would love a wood burning stove. The houses we like are more modern and do not have chimneys. Is it possible to have a wood burning stove without a chimney? And if so how?

Thanks,

Jo

Comments

• mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    jojo2910 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are house hunting and would love a wood burning stove. The houses we like are more modern and do not have chimneys. Is it possible to have a wood burning stove without a chimney? And if so how?

Thanks,

Jo

You have to have some sort of chimney to take the smoke to the top of the roof level. With no built in chimney that means one of these. It makes your house look like a Chinese takeaway.

stovechim2040.jpg

Some areas of the uk have restrictions on smoke (smoke free zones) so probably worth checking you aren't in one of those!
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have to have some sort of chimney to take the smoke to the top of the roof level. With no built in chimney that means one of these. It makes your house look like a Chinese takeaway.

stovechim2040.jpg

Some areas of the uk have restrictions on smoke (smoke free zones) so probably worth checking you aren't in one of those!

I think the house pictured above only has such a tall flue in order to take it above the level of the upper storey - if it was on the highest roof it could be normal height.

You don't need a traditional masonry chimney in order to have a wood burner, you can just have a steel flue like that. My house has no masonry at all but it does have a cast iron flue, boxed in with dry wall work, originally for a coal stove that ran an early central heating system.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Thanks both. Do you know how much it would cost to install a flue and who do you approach to put one in? We've seen a stove we like at a company that only sells them, doesn't install them and would like to know who to approach to install.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    http://www.woodstovefitters.co.uk/communities/4/004/007/870/154/images/4549352735.jpg

on an outside wall, it would probably look like this one.
    internally the flue be boxed in and exit near the roof apex. so a small pipe/cowl only required.
    Get some gorm.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    good-installation.jpg

another example.
    Get some gorm.
  • I have a flue that goes up inside the house, through a bedroom (in a stainless steel twin-walled sleeve), and out through the roof. I also get the benefit of heat in the bedroom as the flue gets warm (but not too hot to touch). It was installed while I was renovating the house.
    A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it.
  • jojo2910 wrote: »
    Thanks both. Do you know how much it would cost to install a flue and who do you approach to put one in? We've seen a stove we like at a company that only sells them, doesn't install them and would like to know who to approach to install.

Hi: find yourself a HETAS installer here...he/she will be able to advise after conducting a site survey. This is a useful site.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • jojo2910
    jojo2910 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Much appreciated all, now we know it can be done :)
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy many stoves that can be used in smoke free zones on make being Clearview....expensive but the mutts nuts as far as stoves go.

If you want any more advice pm me and i'll answer any questions you have ( i'm a chimney sweep ) theres a lot of things you have to do when you get a stove and its not always plain sailing !

Alternatively post a new thread on the solid fuel forum and ask away.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a flue that goes up inside the house, through a bedroom (in a stainless steel twin-walled sleeve), and out through the roof. I also get the benefit of heat in the bedroom as the flue gets warm (but not too hot to touch). It was installed while I was renovating the house.

how much did it all cost to set up?
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills