PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Warning: Sale and Rent back schemes

Comments

• As the investor mentioned previously, rents are kept in line with market conditions which are directly linked to how much an investor can borrow against the property. This is a long term investment and most investors aim is to hold on to the property for as long as possible without having to release any future gains. CRB checks are conducted as our application forms can be obtained relatively easily. Most buy to let mortgage lenders will only permit 6-12 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreements for their loans to be issued. Should the landlord default on the loan, they would not be able to recover against the property if a long-term tenancy agreement is in place.

There have been a few bad apples (due to the fact that there is no regulation) but the majority of investors who operate in the industry are above board and professional.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks for your answer but I am not completely clear, are your tenants given more than a 12 month AST?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • No, because the buy-to-let lenders we use will not allow us to issue them...
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    what did you mean by separate long term rental agreements then?

You have the normal 12 month AST and something different?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • silvercar
    "something different" wouldn't be acknowledged by the lender, so the "long term tenancy agreement" must be the 12 month AST.

Even if something else was put in place, without lender acknowledgement, it would be worthless in the event of repossession.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    exactly what I was thinking Silvercar, which is worrying.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Of course you can offer more than a 6-12 month AST. Just use equity to buy the house (hey, it is still at a 25% discount!) rather than remortgage with a BTL lender.

Bingo, you can then offer whatever length of tenancy you like
  • Most investors would use a letter of intent which would explain that the property will be rented back at a level in line with market conditions and for the long term (provided that the terms of the ASTs are adhered to). The FSA recently sent a questionnaire to a large number of sell and rent back investors asking the very question of how long they have housed and are planning to house their tenants. We are awaiting the results but most investors I know would want their tenants (former vendors) to stay in the property for as long as possible. This can be proved by asking sell and rent back tenants themselves.

Repo Angels also offers the vendor the choice of being able to purchase the property back at less than the future market value by means of an option agreement with a re-purchase price.
  • silvercar
    Most investors would use a letter of intent which would explain that the property will be rented back at a level in line with market conditions and for the long term (provided that the terms of the ASTs are adhered to).

I guess that if this was worded in strong enough terms to stand up in court, it would cover the tenants for all eventualities except action by the lender. The tenant would be covered from action by the lender by the terms of the AST, giving them short term security at least.
  • We are hoping that BTL lenders will adapt and provide products which are more tailored to rent-backs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure