Matalan loyalty card ?

Just wondered about this loyalty card and the change in the way it's used.
I bought a top last week. Sales assistant asked for my card, I didn't have it and she still sold me the top.
This week, bought a few things for my son, sales assistant asks for card, I didn't have it on me.
She then asked for my name and postcode to check if I have one. She said "You haven't lost it have you" as if it's the crown jewels!
Then she says about if I have to get a refund, "it goes back on your card" ???
Is this a new rule now, that you have to have your card all the time? I have hardly used the one I have (that's why it's shoved in a drawer somewhere) but now they are keen on everyone having one!

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    From what I was told you don't need the card for most things. Sometimes they have offers for cardholders only and so you'd not get them without the card.
    I think each individual cashier is encouraged to have a high swipe rate and so they want you to have a card or get one.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • jonty1970
    jonty1970 Posts: 492 Forumite
    She was really keen to get my details. Maybe the staff have been told to use them and sign people up.
  • Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always thought you needed a card to shop there? Has it changed or am I just confused?
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • inca_2
    inca_2 Posts: 283 Forumite
    When I have forgotten my card before they took my name and postcode to confirm I had one. Did you pay by debit card, just wondering if she meant that your refund would have to go back on your debit card as they won't give you cash if you paid by card. It's a while since I bought anything from Matalan but as far as I was aware the cards never 'carried' cash amounts on them but as I say it's been a while so have no idea if this has changed.
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    My wife used to be a deputy manager in a Matalan and according to her the only reason you have to apply for a membership is so they can get your name and address so they can send you catalogues and the like through the post.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I quite like getting my Matalan mailouts and my birthday gift voucher. [/sad]
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jonty1970 wrote: »
    Just wondered about this loyalty card and the change in the way it's used.
    I bought a top last week. Sales assistant asked for my card, I didn't have it and she still sold me the top.
    This week, bought a few things for my son, sales assistant asks for card, I didn't have it on me.
    She then asked for my name and postcode to check if I have one. She said "You haven't lost it have you" as if it's the crown jewels!
    Then she says about if I have to get a refund, "it goes back on your card" ???
    Is this a new rule now, that you have to have your card all the time? I have hardly used the one I have (that's why it's shoved in a drawer somewhere) but now they are keen on everyone having one!

Yes, your debit or credit card, not your Matalan card.

If you can't pay for something with a Matalan card, how can you be refunded onto it?
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • SallyForth_2
    SallyForth_2 Posts: 501 Forumite
    edited 29 April 2010 at 12:04PM
    I have had a Matalan card for years, I don't really get why, they certainly are not loyalty cards, I have never got anything as a reward. I don't receive a catalogue. I assume they use them to just track your spending habits somehow.
  • redsetter03
    redsetter03 Posts: 58 Forumite
    i agree with SallyForth- i've had mine for over 10 years and never had a thing from them, not an e-mail or a catalogue :(
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    FatAndy wrote: »
    My wife used to be a deputy manager in a Matalan and according to her the only reason you have to apply for a membership is so they can get your name and address so they can send you catalogues and the like through the post.

Well, I've signed up for a card 3 years ago, received the card but nothing else since, so really, don't see the point!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure