Debt Free by 24

Options

Comments

• angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Velvet Freak, well done on getting to the next stage of interviews. I would suggest making sure you are dressed professionally with shoes on even though its a telephone interview. I used to work with clients over the phone and always felt when I was dressed for work I was much more professional and productive. Also do something calming before hand if you can.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks angel. I will be doing the interview in my lunch break, so won't have time to change clothes, so I'll be wearing regular work clothes, but I know what you mean.

Anyways, happy Saturday. I've already got a start on chores. Got the bedsheets washing and will also do towels. Need to seriously clean out my laundry room as it is very trashed. Haven't got much grocery money left so will be eating from the freezer for lunch, and will get a $5 pizza for dinner which will last me 2 meals :D. Decided not to venture to the shops until tomorrow as I don't feel like it today.
  • angelpye
    Options
    Sounding very organised as usual! I wish I had a laundry room - its not really common here. My ex mother in law has one and I always think it must make that side of things much more organised and in control than squeezing it in the rest of the house.

When is your interview?
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Velvet, I've just found your diary and wanted to say well done for being a) such a lovely daughter to your mum and b) so focused with your finances. You seem to have lots in place and over the years those skills will go on paying out to make life easier for you.
    I noticed on an earlier post that you're on Facebook... there are a number of groups on there to help with cheap & easy food, though the ones I've seen are probably more orientated to a British diet. One I particularly like is 'Feed yourself for £1 a day'.
    Have you looked on the Old Style Board here? There are lots of good ideas and you may find some to help with those things you mentioned at the beginning (wash cloths instead of using paper towels, etc.). I would recommend using basics like bleach, washing up liquid, white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda for cleaning rather than more expensive branded products, though as you make your own pizza bases I suspect you don't need to be told that branded isn't necessarily superior!
    I'll subscribe and cheer you on :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Well today has been interesting. I went for a "lay down" on the bed as was feeling a bit tired, woke up 5 hours later :eek:. Must have needed it.

Ended up being too lazy to go and buy pizza, so ended up scavenging from the pantry for dinner. :rotfl:

angel Laundry rooms are pretty common here, but mine is nothing special, and I'm actually surprised that it was even built into this tiny shoebox flat to begin with. It's basically a glorified closet for the water heater, that also happens to contain a sink and room for a washer and to stack the dryer on top. If I ever renovate, I'd actually like to knock that wall out :o My interview as at lunch time on Monday.

Cherry Thank you for the tips and kind words :smiley: I have had a look at the Old Style boards. I am slowly getting into it. I have stopped using paper towel and use cloths instead, and have torn up some worn out clothes to use as rags for mopping up stuff and tossing for really gross messes. I make my own surface spray using a drop of washing up liquid in water. Making little changes definitely helps. Thank you for subscribing, it's lovely to have you :p

One of my focuses at the moment is making a conscious effort to purchase less arbitrary junk such as home decor and shower gels/moisturisers, random cosmetics, etc. I am a (somewhat) recovered cushion hoarder. I also have a bad habit of changing out bed spreads because I get "bored" of them. Talk about first world problems. I am currently working through a 1L bottle of shower gel that I just had to have. Needless to say, I am sick of the stuff, but it has been a valuable learning experience. :rotfl:
  • angelpye
    Options
    Have you looked into KonMari Method of tidying up? Really helped me appreciate what I have and I now have no urge to buy new house stuff - apart from the necessarily refurbishment stuff as I bought a fixer upper. The audio book is available on youtube - I listen whilst doing housework via my phone and headphones.

Good luck on Monday :D
    EF £0/£4200
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Thanks angel I haven't read Kon Marie but have watched lots of Youtube videos about it. I've been into 'minimalism' for a few years now, so I'm pretty good already, just with a few weaknesses that I am working on. Like most people still have so much stuff I could potentially get rid of.

I find that the things I like to buy in excess is directly related to what I lacked during childhood. I never really went without, but there was stuff that we simply didn't have/buy, and that's what I struggle with now. I'm 10 times better than I used to be, so that's good.
  • angelpye
    Options
    Sounds like we are in similar places with this then. I know my urges are linked to childhood and have been committed to a more minimalist lifestyle for some time now. :)
    EF £0/£4200
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    I am getting there, slowly but surely. There was a point in time when I owned probably over 20 sets of winter pyjamas. Those days are well and truly over thank goodness. Growing up, I remember only having 1-2 pairs. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but must have affected me in some way, as I was always buying new ones. Same with bras and underwear. Although on the flip side, I am such an under-buyer when it comes to food. I struggle to stock my cupboards. Makes no sense.
  • angelpye
    Options
    Well I must be your opposite! I am all about food stocks, enough to feed us for at least a month (and then some) is where I am most comfortable! Fighting the demons though and as I live near 3 major supermarkets with very little cupboard space I am slowly changing this. I have pairs of pjs...only 1 that I would admit to owning as the rest are so worn! :D
    EF £0/£4200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family