PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good to see you back, DD
    Epic post as ever DforV. I carry yogurt based snacks around in a jar..

Pleasures for yesterday

1. OH got on with the painting - just the walls to do now.
    2. I cleaned and ironed, watched Mad Men whilst ironing
    3. OH cooked steak and chips for tea. Was lush
    4. Candlelit yoga - I just love it.
    5. Call the midwife - perfect television

have a good day all
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • PM2DD
    Just found out that Jimmy Armfield has passed on. I hope our Premier players give him a rousing this weekend.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2018 at 8:15PM
    For today :

Yoiks! To the icy dog walk this morning...bent to pick up 60p in a puddle and was rewarded by a soaking from a passing car! Met up with Haggis' ladies! Very slippy and muddy walk. Rain had poured all night so all surface snow gone leaving just lumpy bumpy ice behind.

Walked up to a friends to drop something off knowing she probably wasn't in. She wasn't so then walked back via my mothers. Spent about an hour there. Ironed and hoovered for her.

Icy walk back home and warmed up with a BLT. Made from RTC rolls, RTC tomatoes, the bacon was free in my veg box and the lettuce was from veg box. Reckoned it cost about 9p per BLT and it was rather tasty.

Swept up again, washed floors again and cleaned bathrooms again but there's a contentment being tidy having been at my mums which is not.

Making fajitas for tea using veggies from box and RTC wraps from freezer and just a spice mix rather than buying a boxed set. Would love sour cream but dont have any and if I go out for that will spend more!

I'm being very sweet toothed just now and craved something sweet anything sweet as in a biscuit . Opened a tin that had been given to me for hosting Christmas dinner. Will give up sugar for lent.

Daylight stretching out a tiny bit each day. The first flower in my RTC hyacinth bloomed.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Good to see you back DD and DfV, and welcome new posters.

Small collection.
    1. Not having to risk my neck and life on snow and ice. I've seen the results of a fall on a dear friend. Just one fall, and everything changed. It did mean I missed a favourite artist at a local folk club, but he's at 'my' club in April. Please go carefully if any snow and ice is lingering in your vicinity.

2. Making flatbreads that were so satisfying, after almost running out of bread. They are so quick and easy to make. Mine were made out of olive oil, as I was keeping the milk for tea and coffee. This made them a bit pastry-like, and much higher in calories, but also rather nice.
    I was saving the last of the bread for...

3. The new toastie maker that arrived to review. Actually, it's not that brilliant, my one that arrived as a competition prize on Christmas Eve 1991 is better in the sense that you can get a deeper fill - and this new one is supposed to be a deep fill machine.
    However, it did seal the toastie very efficiently, and browned it beautifully.

4. Call The Midwife. One of the very few dramas I watch, (along with Peaky Blinders, of course). Won't spoil it in case anyone has it on catch-up, but what a corker of a first episode and what a great new character. I do wish at least one episode didn't have a moment that reduced me to tears, though. The synagogue congregation singing outside the house was on of those stand-out TV moments for me. It was sublime, I like the way that the snow was allowed to 'carry over' from the Christmas episode.

I can just remember that winter, and the snow did indeed seem to last for ever. We had open parkland opposite our house, and I can distinctly remember how odd it was to see it green again, after it was white for so long.

5. Enjoying my job, and I'd better get back to it...

6. Your pleasures, thank you.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Monday’s Pleasures:-

1. Watching last night’s Call The Midwife - what a brilliant programme & lovely to hear about the area I live in! Also, the music - I was only a sproglet in the sixties but my favourite music is from that era as there was always a radio playing.

2. Seeing a fox strolling across my back garden, before jumping the fence & disappearing into neighbour’s overgrown garden.

3. Nice warm bedding put on bed.

4. Sorting out all the bed linen & putting aside 50% for charity shop.

5. Sorting two more drawers in kitchen - more stufffor cs.

6. Only having to warm up tonight’s dinner as I cooked it yesterday.

7. Reading everyone's pleasures.

Night night

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • BoP your chicken and jam reminded me of my dear northern granny who used to have jam on her Yorkshire puds :)

Pleasures
    1. Feeling much better less painful still a bit wheezy
    2. A bit of sunshine yesterday after a weekend of rain
    3. Took puppy for 5 minute walk to park and let her off lead to run around and chase her ball. Recall is a work in progress. Do others let their dogs off lead ?
    4. Slept for 2 hours in the afternoon on sofa with puppy curłed up next to me
    5. Found DS's "lost" passport ... Needed in 2 weeks ! Hope he will start to put things away !!
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    skint I could tell many a tale of Haggis not coming back & probably have on these pages! It will come.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Back from our short trip to France.

1. Day at home yesterday. A day's holiday. Did some washing and got the house but more organised.

2. Easy tea of lasagne from freezer and some salad.

3. Used up bananas in banana bread. Made DS2 happy as he walked in and smelt it.

4. Replanted broad beans seeds as something has eaten them. Luckily I had some left.

5. Seeking chickens running around the garden.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    PM2BOP rip jimmy
    Dietdemon I. Feel your pain. We too had a long commute and decided it wasn’t doing it for us. We moved house and jobs twice since then, both times the house had to be in walking / cycling distance of work!
    For yesterday
    1) a very nice rainbow salad for lunch, started by need to use up red cabbage and garlic dips from children / mr piano domino’s orders
    2) nice chat with Libyan doctor over for a week’s course
    3) left over fruit from above course - grapes, satsuma and 2 apples
    4) colleague finding sporran for £15 in charity shop for phd student’s Leaving present. He has been working with us for 3 months post viva and starts his first post doc end of the month
    5) bed and death in paradise. Looking forward to call the midwife, perhaps tonight mcc hadn’t seen leaky blinders but started watching box set new year. Unfortunately had to skip series 3 due to running out of time. Love the music, had to shut my eyes at times
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Skint recall, hmm, in theory but in reality Rosie suddenly becomes deaf (she can hear the treat tin being opened from 200 yards) and Tilly will return to me but not Capt S.

Monday pleasures,

Bit of a lie-in after weekend early starts.

A bright, sunny day, various outdoor coats washed and dried on the line.

Lovely farrier re-fitted horse girlie's shoe, he was very fragile after a big birthday weekend away and visibly winced every time the hammer hit the shoe!

An episode of Father Brown whilst enjoying tea loaf with raspberry jam.

The days are gradually stretching out, light until gone 5 :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure