Remapping a car

Comments

• mbwoy84
    mbwoy84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Well you could get it remapped professionally and achieve a higher power gain than that for around £300, but if it’s remapped by the manufacturer then you’re always safe in the knowledge that there will never be a warranty issue.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My own experience is that the promised improvement in fuel consumption never actually materialises because it is impossible to resist the temptation to use the extra power available.
  • I agree. Along with that, the power and car efficiency will also change
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    Forumite
    PaulJWood wrote: »
    I agree. Along with that, the power and car efficiency will also change
    And pollutants.

As VW brought into stark relief, you can get a lot more power out of an engine if you are unconcerned about the impact on emissions. Note the diatribe from the remapper didn't cover that.
  • Gloomendoom
    Forumite
    And pollutants.

As VW brought into stark relief, you can get a lot more power out of an engine if you are unconcerned about the impact on emissions. Note the diatribe from the remapper didn't cover that.

Emissions needn't be affected. It may even be possible to reduce them.
  • motorguy wrote: »
    Its modern day car tuning. When i had my first car - a 1980 mini we used to do carb upgrades, induction kits, bigger bore exhausts and manifolds, etc, etc and still would only have got a few extra BHP.

I took my Singer Chamois from 39bhp to 120bhp with carb upgrade, exhaust, camshaft, cylinder head (valves, ports etc) 124cc capacity increase (875cc to 998cc) and work on the reciporcating components to allow it to rev to 9500rpm (standard engine was only safe to 8000rpm or so from the factory).

I'd say a threefold power increase on a naturally aspirated engine isn't bad. It only made power from 5500rpm to about 9200rpm but it did go once it was on cam :D
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    Forumite
    Emissions needn't be affected. It may even be possible to reduce them.
    When you can show me a printout from a tuner who checks pre- and post-tune NOx and CO2 emissions I'll be more convinced it is even considered.
  • NotSkint
    NotSkint Posts: 74 Forumite
    If you buy a 2nd hand car, how can you know if some previous owner has had it remapped? If you are unfamiliar with what performance to expect, or couldn't really tell?
    This could invalidate your insurance without you even knowing.
    And what about someone who knowingly has remapped their 2nd hand car but says they didn't do it and it was a previous owner that did it without their knowledge.
    A right insurance minefield
  • Gloomendoom
    Forumite
    When you can show me a printout from a tuner who checks pre- and post-tune NOx and CO2 emissions I'll be more convinced it is even considered.

I doubt they currently do. That doesn’t mean it isn’t possible though given suitable motivation/legislation.

Making an engine more efficient generally reduces the CO2 output.
  • mbwoy84
    mbwoy84 Posts: 24 Forumite
    The remap won't be traceable by insurance, so if your car had been remapped by a previous owner, unknowing to you then you have nothing to worry about.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should knowingly neglect to inform their insurance. The majority of insurance companies will only charge a very small premium increase at most for informing them as long as you're not classed as a "high risk" driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure