Money Moral Dilemma: How much should we charge our daughter for living with us?

Comments

• When I first started work at 16, I gave my parents a third of my take home pay. Every time I had a pay rise they got one too. Eventually my Mum refused to take any additional money. So probably to begin with I wasn't covering the expense of living at home (as I remember I was on £8k a year before tax, though this was 30+ years ago) but I made up for it later when I could afford it.
  • When I was earning £16k a year 15 years ago and at home I was paying £100 per month to contribute towards costs. When I was lucky and got a new job taking me into £20k it jumped to £200 a month. Very reasonable as got all the home services included.

Your daughter is clearly expecting a free ride. Show her the bills and what it would cost her to move out, she may wake up and realise.
  • Charging a percentage allows for pay rises! Others have suggested 25% but I think 33% gives equal shares to parents/daughter's savings/daughter
    This formula works well for low paid workers as well as the better off.
  • psouth
    psouth Posts: 23 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Don't feel bad about charging an adult, earning child a fair share of their income. 20K after tax is a pretty good salary...some of us have to survive on less! The OS rule was a third saved, a third paid and a third for fun. If she is paying you more than you feel she costs you, bank it for when she gets her first real home and help out that way. Our son bought his own house at 23 with a 45% deposit and is paying his own way in the world, no whinging about having to pay for things. If she wants to live at home, she pays - simple!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    These threads have been done to death and always get the same types of responses again and again:

1. The "Pick a number out of thin air" response where someone specify's an amount they think is fair with no justification whatsoever - I think this is a poor way of doing it because you have no way of knowing how much this covers in relation to the actual bills/increase in bills based on the OP's circumstances.

2. The "Percentage of their wages response" which is usually suggested as a fairly high amount of around 25% - 33% - again this doesn't take into account of actual bills and at these percentages is likely to result in a profit for the parents.

3. The "Split bills by number of adults in household" or "Pay the extra costs" response - These are one of the most fair ways of doing it because you actually know exactly what they are covering and also shows your on top of your household budgeting which you can explain to your kids.

4. The "Don't charge them anything" response - With this one at least your not charging an arbitrary amount and if your well off and don't want to charge then there is nothing wrong with that. But this obviously doesn't apply to a lot of households and most people asking what they should charge are likely not looking for this answer.

5. The "Save some/all of the money they pay and give back for a house" response - This is one of the silliest ways to do it in my opinion. Whats the point in secretly saving money for them they aren't little children. If you don't want the money then teach them the importance of saving themselves and how to get the best interest rates. Secretly saving just shows you don't trust your children to handle money correctly and then you get the slightly twisted scenario at the end where you give them back all THEIR money and expect them to be grateful for it.

The most popular justification for them paying at least some money is that it teaches them some kind of lesson about living in the "real" world and teaches them they must pay bills. Now i can understand this to an extent but this is only relevant if you actually go through the household finances with them and explain what a house costs each month and what bills need to be paid. By the time they are 18 and out working they should understand this already. But them simply paying an amount each month is not teaching them anything useful.

Some people also talk about having a "shock" when moving out at the cost of living this definitely shows they didn't prepare properly before they moved out. The most valuable lesson that a parent can teach their children about money is how to budget properly. If your children know how to budget and plan ahead then they will never be "shocked" at the costs when moving out.

Although if your someone who also thinks that a child should pay their lodge/board by "Direct Debit" then you should definitely do a lot more reading up on personal finances before you teach your children anything....
    clogmaker wrote: »
    T£60-£80 per week, set up on direct debit is not unreasonable!
    Pete998 wrote: »
    Think your Daughter should, at the very least, pay £325 per calendar month so she has a fixed amount that she could pay by direct debit & budget for every month.
  • I charged my children half their earnings and put half of that into an endowmant policy that paid out when they were 21. By then they had both moved out and the money was appreciated.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lesbro wrote: »
    I charged my children half their earnings and put half of that into an endowmant policy that paid out when they were 21. By then they had both moved out and the money was appreciated.

A good old response number 2 with the added bonus of the " slightly twisted" appreciation of getting their own money back because they weren't trusted to save the money themselves ;).
  • BethP
    BethP Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If daughter is earning £20,000pa nett, then £500pm.

My mother had me pay her £10pm when I was earning £32pm nett.

You could always secretly save it up in a stocks and shares ISA and hand her any surplus at your discretion when she moves on.

Around here, monthly rentals of a two bed flat are £700pm; 3 bed semi £900; 4 bed semi £1200. All plus CT and bills.

London of course is a lot more. Our son paid £700pm + bills for a bedroom in a shared house in Finsbury Park until October last year. Even with our financial help he couldn't afford it and moved to Tallinn.
  • You dont have to be rich to offer free accommodation.

But I think the crux of the matter is that you see her as wasting a lot of her money and you are not wanting to give her a freebie just so that she can waste it. I would suggest your daughter needs to learn budgeting and the financial value and costs of her spending. What value does she perceive she gets from it and what value does she actually get from it. Maybe talking her through some forums on moneysaving expert might be a good start. Next she could do all your utility and insurance bills for you. Whatever she can reduce your monthly bills by she can have half knocked off her rent. The same could be with your food shopping, she will start to understand eventually.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Jesus christ!! .... Soooo glad a lot of you guys werent my parents .... £500 per month to live at home ... !!!!!!!! .... Just pure greed!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure