Bad reviews

Options
I’m going for an interview and whilst doing some research came across a review of the organisation by someone who seems to be an ex employee doing what I am applying for. The review paints the organisation in a pretty bad light.

Obviously I’m open to the idea that the employee might have been the problem rather than the company, but how much attention would you give a bad review? Would you mention it / not mention it but ask question around what was said in the review etc. or just disregard it? I’m excited to be job hunting but nervous of landing up somewhere I’m unhappy. Guess that could happen regardless though.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I often see bad reviews of my employers but ive had nothing but support and good experiences. I would not mention at interview anything you have read on Internet.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I always think people with a bad experience - real or perceived - are more likely to post a bad review than those that enjoy working somewhere.

The only time I'd take any notice of a review is if there were multiple over a short time frame.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think for me it would depend a bit on what it said, and how serious it would be for me personally if the allegations were true.

It would also depend a bit on how it was worded - does it read like a rant, or like a balanced warning ?

How recently was it posted?

I might raise it at interview depending on what it said and how concerned I was, but it might be in the context of asking for more general information. I would also definitely mention it if I were offered the job, so that the employers were made aware of it, if they didn't already know.

I would be much more concerned if there were multiple reviews all flagging up similar issues, or if someone I know personally had worked their and told me that there were issues,.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The comments were from a few months back. They did seem pretty well presented rather than just a rant and it was just the one comment. I think there is only 1 person doing this particular job at one time and that's made me worry that the role itself isn't supported or the targets are unrealistic etc.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You can ask the question based on it without mentioning reading a review online perhaps. I did read about my current company and long working hours and I asked during the interview how their work-life balance was and whether overtime was the norm. The reviews I read were related to other teams who are indeed working long hours.
    ally.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I was interviewed for my current role, the manager told me the firm had quite a toxic environment that he was trying to resolve.

He wasn't wrong. In the short time I have been there, 7 employees have left out of a workforce of just 20. It appears the biggest problem is the owner and his toxic attitude.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    When I was interviewed for my current role, the manager told me the firm had quite a toxic environment that he was trying to resolve.

He wasn't wrong. In the short time I have been there, 7 employees have left out of a workforce of just 20. It appears the biggest problem is the owner and his toxic attitude.

Wow that's very honest of him and brave for you to give it a go. I may not even get the job and if I do and it turns out to be horrid I guess I can leave! I don't think you can ever tell for sure, its such a gamble. I will definitely ask about targets without referring to the review. The poster made comment about the role suiting hard core sales people who don't mind stepping on others to get somewhere. I'm really not competitive and not out to screw over colleagues to get ahead. Who knows if he left or was pushed?!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't mention it .... they'll be loyal and instantly not wish to have somebody "negative" around them. ..... that's the sad way things work. If you ask awkward questions, or question anything, or have a differing opinion these days you're labelled "negative" as people do like to sing the party line.

Make up your own mind and ignore what you've read unless you can see evidence it's true.
  • SquirrelSmall
    Options
    I work for an organisation which has a terrible Glassdoor rating and a number of ghastly reviews over the last 6-8 months.

What's happened is that there has been a huge amount of change in the last 18 months - new owners, new CEO (and about 80% change in the leadership team). We're working to the long view, rather than quick fixes.

I work in HR (and am part of the big scary change programme) and we view the negative reviews as collateral damage. We can't change how the organisation works and functions (and all the associated values and behaviours) without annoying some people and, probably, seeing them leave. Part and parcel of what happens. It all contributes towards getting us to where we want to be.

So go to the interview and find out what is going on. Any manager worth their salt will tell you - and, most likely, respect you for having the chutzpah to ask the difficult question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure