Winding up Ltd/dividends question

kerrypn
kerrypn Posts: 1,233 Forumite
Hi

Please could someone help me as my accountant is not being very clear with me. I was employed as PAYE April 2016 to October 2016 circa 30k per annum salary.

In October I joined an agency and on advice started a Ltd company. For various reasons I am going back to a PAYE position for the next tax year.

In effect Oct through to March my Ltd company has had a turnover of approx 13k, and approx 4000 of this is my wages, approx 1500 expenses and the remaining balance I intend to share between myself as majority shareholder and the only other shareholder. Neither share holder will receive more than 5k dividends. My accountant advised me to leave enough in the account to cover corporation tax (7.5% of profit?) But is this before dividends or after? As I will be winding up the company all monies left will be paid as dividends. I want to close the business account asap as there are charges to keep it open. My plan was to remove the balance, pay the accountant and then divide the rest between shareholders.

My question is, if both shareholders receive 5k or less dividend will there be any personal tax to pay on this (no other income)

And secondly how much should I save for corporation tax?

There is approx 4k in the business account currently (dividends are drawn month to month)

Thanks in advance for any advice I just want to make sure I've saved enough to pay my taxes!

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    kerrypn wrote: »
    ... My accountant advised me to leave enough in the account to cover corporation tax (7.5% of profit?) But is this before dividends or after? ...

CT for 2016/17 is 20%, and that's before dividends.
    ...My question is, if both shareholders receive 5k or less dividend will there be any personal tax to pay on this (no other income)...

Personal dividend allowan ce is £5,000 for 2016-17 and 2017-18, so that should cover it. Assuming you have no other dividend income.
    ..And secondly how much should I save for corporation tax?...

£13,000 less £4,000 less £1,500 is £7,500, times 20% is £1,500.
  • kerrypn
    That's really helpful thank you so much!
  • Another tip, if you've not already registered for self-assessment, then assuming you do end up only receiving dividends within the dividend allowance and consequently owe no further income tax, don't bother registering - you don't need to as you've got no tax to pay or report. Ignore anyone telling you that company directors HAVE to register - its wrong (and so is the HMRC website).

As above, you should have a taxable company profit of £7.5k so corporation tax will be £1500 leaving you with £6k to distribute between shareholders. Assuming you're both 50/50 shareholders you'll receive a dividend each of £3000.
  • kerrypn
    Thanks so much for this, feel a lot better about it all now was finding it very stressful!

I think my accountant has already registered me unfortunately as wasn't expecting it to be so short lived!
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 March 2017 at 3:21PM
    If the company is to be dissolved and the shareholders don't use much of their Capital Gains allowance, why not make a capital distrbution? You're allowed to distribute up to £25k in the last two years of a company's lifetime, and the distribution is treated as a capital gain, not as income.
  • polymaff wrote: »
    If the company is to be dissolved and the shareholders don't use much of their Capital Gains allowance, why not make a capital distrbution? You're allowed to distribute up to £25k in the last two years of a company's lifetime, and the distribution is treated as a capital gain, not as income.

Because it makes no difference (£3k dividends each covered by dividend allowance vs capital gain within CGT allowance)? Unless the shareholders also have dividend income elsewhere a dividend seems like the simplest route.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because it makes no difference (£3k dividends each covered by dividend allowance vs capital gain within CGT allowance)? Unless the shareholders also have dividend income elsewhere a dividend seems like the simplest route.

You assume that it makes no difference - then you confirm that there might be circumstances that would make a difference.

Brilliant.
  • Yes, my assumption is that in OPs case it makes no difference as they've given no indication that they have any other dividend income. I think it's a fair assumption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure