Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Little spend today at tesco- seemed to go there at the right time and got some reductions on turkey (having tonight in a nandos sauce)and two packs of turkey breast mince (cooking tonight in prep for tomorrow as have gf's cousins over for the evening to meet the kitties).

Also bought a £1 sponge cake as went to visit my cousin and his kids this afternoon so not too bad on the spends really :)

Gym session this morning and ran a 7km which felt really good and then did a mini circuit via the MadBarz app on my phone (which still took 20mins!)

Tomorrow we have the nest fitter coming to install the two thermostats and the carbon monoxide detectors and Wednesday we have Barratts coming out to look at the downstairs loo as it's constantly blocked, and also to look at a weird patch on the external wall in the living room which is concerning a little.

51p OP tilly tidied this morning pushing the numbers up which feels good- slowly slowly catchy monkey!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Ziffit funds have cleared this morning so a nice £17.66 sent to the mortgage which makes April the highest value of OPs so far his year at £319.35!! :j

We won't be able to keep the values up as high as that every month unfortunately, but I'm still very pleased. Initial plans for the year was to OP the difference in mortgage payment-
    £89.81 then I massively stretched it to £179 per month. We've kept up with the stretch target and are currently ahead of plan for 2017 :)

Off to check quidco as still a few small value cashback waiting to confirm (I think about £10 in total!)

Nest fitters will be here this morning so hoping the kittens behave!!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Great overpayments for April KK - it is amazing how all the little bits and pieces of extra money add up isn't it. It all becomes slightly addictive and the more you save, the more it incentivises you.
  • Kittenkirst
    themadvix wrote: »
    Sounds like you had a good weekend KK and great news about the flat! That must be a relief!

Huge relief The Mad Vix- I think she is still looking to sell and get back the additional stamp duty we paid but will look in around four months, I think it's as good a time at the moment but it's her flat (& really not my decision) so happy to support her in whatever she thinks best :)
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Hey KK, well done on the huge mortgage OP! It shows that everything you are doing is paying off :)

Just a thought, our previous house was a relatively new build (2015) and the downstairs loo used to block up regularly until we switched loo roll. We moved to Nicky which we get from Home Bargains and never had a problem since. It's much cheaper than the big brands and it seems to break down easier so it doesn't block the loo, and we actually prefer it. Might be worth a try, even if only in the downstairs loo?

Hope Kitties behave for the nest fitters :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Kittenkirst
    YS turkey mince (£1.50 a pack yesterday) transformed into some meatballs and in the pan ready for tonight with a tomato sauce ready to be topped with mozzarella which we will serve with spaghetti we got ages ago that was leftover from a team away day ice breaker (we took the stuff still in the packs, not anything stuck into marshmallows) & some spring greens we bought yesterday. Looking forward to seeing cousins who are coming over and chatting holidays as they go on hols in the next few days (am envious too!)

Nest fitter has fitted the two thermostats and the additional carbon monoxide/smoke alarm we got free from John Lewis home insurance :) his price was very competitive- will pay that as soon as receive his invoice.
    Kittens were nervous at first but followed him round nosing at what he was doing and attacking the plastic covers he put on his shoes :rotfl:

Small OP of 69p as another bill is now showing on the joint account.
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 26 April 2017 at 8:52AM
    So yesterday was a bit of a mixed day- thermostats all fitted and electrician paid (oddly he invoiced for half his original quote- £144 remains in our pockets woop!) however in the afternoon we went to the gym and bumped into THAT PT and there was a confrontation- I had written more but don't want to inflame any drama for the minute. Poor gf xx

On a different note, turkey meatballs went down well with cousins who came for tea last night :) pretty pleased with it too! We thought there might be leftovers but as all four had been to the gym the pans were empty by the end of the night!!

Posted the broken headphones that were finally paid for on eBay last night too! Only one pair of shoes to be relisted as annoyingly the buyer hasn't paid despite several reminders and four weeks. Hmph! Found a box of stuff to also list so will try and get round to that this weekend as well as visit a friend for her baby's christening (cuteness!).

49p OP sent just now and a pinecone completed so hopefully the £3 will clear for this months OP and boost it a little more :j
  • Kittenkirst
    ch4rly2002 wrote: »
    Hey KK, well done on the huge mortgage OP! It shows that everything you are doing is paying off :)

Just a thought, our previous house was a relatively new build (2015) and the downstairs loo used to block up regularly until we switched loo roll. We moved to Nicky which we get from Home Bargains and never had a problem since. It's much cheaper than the big brands and it seems to break down easier so it doesn't block the loo, and we actually prefer it. Might be worth a try, even if only in the downstairs loo?

Hope Kitties behave for the nest fitters :)

Hi Charley- will give it a go, I'm not sure what brand we currently use but it's not Andrex etc (I'm too thrifty for that!) barratts are coming out today and we've sent them a pic of a damp patch that's appeared via email too to get them to come out and investigate.

Window cleaner and our friend (he's going to mow lawn and help with our en suite cabinet!) are round today also, so we went to the gym already- I'm struggling to walk still following he 7km and circuits on Monday so did a steep incline walk on treadmill followed by some cycling and stretches to ease the pain/DOMS

Due to the kittens keeping me awake last night I've opened an easy access regular saver with TSB. Interest is only 2% but I can withdraw if need to (just can't put back in); this should suit my needs and I'm hoping to keep it open for the full year without withdrawals but we will see what happens!

This means I will be funding the following on a monthly basis:
    1st Direct regular saver- 5%- £300 a month
    TSB regular saver- 2%- £250 a month
    Company sharesave- starts May payday- £140 a month

That feels like a good chunk of cash monthly to build back up the nest egg :o Interest earned will be put towards Mortgage OPs next year as it will all help (should be just over £80) :)
  • Kittenkirst
    The plumber flushed out the drains and advised its running clear however he's concerned tissue isn't flowing out so has referred it to the ground amen to visit and check for a blockage. I checked the brand we use and it's Cushelle- not sure if hats a thick one or not though?

Lawn has been mown but looks a bit brown-ish. Friend thinks he needs to mow it weekly to make it luscious green so he'll pop round regularly. We made a boob with the tall bathroom cabinet as it's so tall it covers our bathroom fan....so after lots of discussion about how to make it fit which involved taking the fan out (!) I decided we are better just buying a different cabinet that actually fits and getting rid of the nice shiny one we bought! Friend has taken dimensions to see if fits at his house if not we'll go on gumtree.

£7.67 has cleared on quidco so have requested that back and awaiting the £3 from Pinecone also clearing so can swipe to the mortgage.

Figure is at £166,788.20 for the mortgage with interest to be applied on the 1st. Daily interest is £13.77 which is eye waterinng but it will come down slowly I hope!

Went to get curtains for the spare room-£20 from dunelm and as we were next to Costco we went in (gf's card is out of date but you can still go in) and we ate lots of the free samples. We were planning to go on a nice long walk but the weathers awful so we were driving to town to go to debenhams and for lunch. We then decided to instead come home and grab a subway (using points so free!) which was a much better option and no food spends instead!

Silver classes start again this evening which is very much looking forward too so a lovely day all in all.

Planing a big walk tomorrow at Bradgate Park (will take packed lunch!) so fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow!
  • debtfreeoneday
    debtfreeoneday Posts: 4,814 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's surprising how fast the daily rate does come down though I think!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport