Only freedom will do

Comments

• Bluefire wrote: »
    We actually reached the depressing stage this year where our car renewal was actually less than the comparison sites. All that research for nothing, and no cashback either!

Us too - our 'not on the comparison sites' insurer is really the best price. Ironically, their 'stable mate' or should it be their 'never was so much owed' kennel mate are always the dearest quote! DH always rings them up and haggles though, never autorenews, and usually gets something knocked off. Probably not as generous as cashback though (which technically we'd be ineligible for as existing customers)

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've never been able to haggle with insurance, must be my technique.
  • edinburgher
    Just bought DD's first Christmas present, a little plastic sink/cooker combo with a working tap! :j She is beside herself with excitement at anything she can splash in and this seemed like a great deal for less than £18 :)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I tell my broker I know he's got a margin, so the first offer is not going to be the best. :)

Only once found the comparison sites competitive and then the product offered less.

Bit young to start teaching her how to cook, Ed. :rotfl: Seriously, do get her involved when she is a bit older, my son started baking young (suggestion on here, I'd never have baked cakes a few years back) and loves cooking, is quite good and I don't think there will be any worries about him not being able to feed himself properly when he leaves home. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    Bit young to start teaching her how to cook, Ed. Seriously, do get her involved when she is a bit older, my son started baking young (suggestion on here, I'd never have baked cakes a few years back) and loves cooking, is quite good and I don't think there will be any worries about him not being able to feed himself properly when he leaves home.

People are already joking that she has a career in hospitality ahead of her, I'm told she spent much of her toddler group yesterday traipsing around with a plastic teapot offering refreshments :rotfl:

I know she's just learning to play, but not sure I'd want a life in hospitality for her. FIL has been working for 40+ years as a chef and it looks like a very hard life for the money :eek:

Productive evening yesterday:
    • Ordered a Christmas present for my niece
    • Ordered a replacement passport
    • Ordered 3 bookcases, a toy trunk and some nice LED lighting for over the bookcases from IKEA
    • Ordered smart coat hooks that pop away when they're not being used for the hall
    • Updated the spreadsheets, this month will be staggeringly expensive (if I was Alex, I'd be selling a car expensive ;))
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Awww! That's lovely! Agree with both of you - hospitality looks like it has horrendous hours, but being able to look after yourself well when you leave home is A Good Thing :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Yesterday was manic! Mrs E was down sarf, so I was left to fend for myself and DD. Luckily she was zonked and on good form, so took her little sleeping bag and rolled about on the rug downstairs :)
    • Spreadsheets updated
    • Christmas present ordered for nephew, tried to help sibling's partner choose a gift, but was probably as much help as a chocolate teapot :o
    • Put another half coat of paint on the bannister rail (can only paint top/bottom as it's clamped to a work bench)
    • The house is not a !!!! tip! :rotfl:
    • Invented a random dinner with HM chicken broth, vermicelli noodles, roast chicken, pak choi and loads of diced chilli and ginger. Obviously getting in the mood for my trip to See Woo at the weekend :j
  • edinburgher
    Joiner has been battling away with our new doors since 08:00 this morning, they are looking fantastic! 5+ done already of the 10 he needs to fit, leaving him to it so that he isn't distracted. One slight problem is that he only has 3 of the sets of door handles, so we are being veeeeery careful when we go to the bathroom! :rotfl:

I have finished the rail as well, so our house is really starting to look like a home. New carpets coming a week tomorrow along with the new living room storage etc. from Ike@ :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds wonderful! At last all the improvements are gelling together, very pleased for you :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    A pretty miserable weekend :(

Joiner finished the doors and did a really good job for the most part, he is coming out in a few weeks to trim them once our new carpet goes down.

Guys putting up our fence, on the other hand, are a total 'mare! They are currently on their 3rd day (they'd predicted 2) and while the quality of the work is solid (I won't say good, they have definitely scamped a couple of things), their attitude is !!!!ing terrible! :eek:

Huffing and puffing at the slightest problem; moaning and standing around as if I have the solutions to the fact that they never picked up on various potential obstacles when they came out for the quote; cursing a blue streak; listening to neddy (chavvy) radio at volume 500; generally making a mess; spilling concrete and filling my wheely bin with soil! :mad:

I am not fond of confrontation, but I have been kicking asses and taking names all weekend. As KC will probably appreciate best on here, it's exhausting for us INs.

Not helped by the fact that DD has been in abject misery as she cuts her sharp teeth and has also been playing up generally all weekend, with next to no sleep.

Mrs E and I are at each others' throats, not good.

Trying to relax with a nice slow cooking project now, cooking up some very meaty Vietnamese Pho :)

Will be fixing the squeaking floorboards on the landing this afternoon, that's about it for me...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure