How To Legally Stop Paying Your Tv Licence!

Comments

• sent letters 1 year ago and it works. not gonna pay for boring rubbish that insults my intelligence. as i see on here alot of human beings seem to enjoy there thought control and like to pay for it, shame.
    if you really want to save money look into standing in commerce and acceptence of value, get educated sheeple before it to late for you, but judging by remarks on here, maybe it is.
    peace and love to all fellow human beings.
    yours, soon to be freeman on the land.
    Ps: to the lady who mentioned about cbeebies. children shouldnt watch tv until after the age of 6ish. if at all.not good for brain devolpment and independent thought. maybe try reading and attention to what they want.
  • most of you are missing the point. its not whether or not the bbc is worth the amount you have to pay, its the fact that you don't have a choice, you have to pay. the bbc channels should be a package that you can choose to subscribe to or not for £15 a month or whatever. how would you feel if the powers that be forced you to subscribe to sky just because you owned a tv set?
  • i for one pay enuff taxes and have enuff money taken off me i choose to have sky tv £50 a month which is my choice why shud i be forced into paying for something that can be turned into a subscription service some families on low budget cant afford to pay for a tv licence and think the bbc have got away with this for long euff let the uk ppl have the choice to pay or not pay by subscribing to the bbc or do u think they are scared cos ppl dont wanna pay them for there services as id rather watch films and sports thats why i have sky and its not fair when you dont watch the bbc to be charged for a service you dont want
  • You can legally not pay the TV licence if you do not watch or record live television. Let TV Licensing know - however they will still write to you or visit you as standard procedure, but keep ignoring them. Do not let them in the house as they will want to check out your computer too.

If you do watch or record live TV then pay up.
  • marri_lou wrote: »
    Who are TV Licensing?

"TV Licensing" is a trading name used by companies contracted by the BBC to administer the collection of television licence fees and enforcement of the television licensing system.
    I need to pay mines anyway, however would be interesting to see how this pans out.

A private trading company for profit which can only trade with other companies. Your name registered at birth is the name of your company, when you were registered it created a legal fiction, A PERSON, look up the definition of a person. Companies contract with PERSON'S and by confirming your name you are entering into silent contracts with other companies. Never give your name to anyone until you verify that you would not be entering into any contract, this includes any agent from the private TV licencing organisation and their employees.
    We must become the change we seek in the world.
    - Mahatma Ghandi -
  • guiseppi
    guiseppi Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2012 at 2:20PM
    MP's can and DO claim the TV license as an expense.

I checked out my own MP and she claims for this, as well as a house cleaner, dry cleaning, £600 a month for a printer and other expenses that amount to more than twice this families income. And she gets a wage on top!

Ask your local MP why you've got to pay when they get theirs for free, paid by us!
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    You don't need a TV licence to watch catch up services which AREN'T live on a laptop or computer WITHOUT a TV tuner. I checked this with TV Licensing Unit.

When the TV Licensing Unit sent me stroppy letters saying I should have a TV licence I wrote to the head honcho who stopped the letters for two years. Then they started, I confirmed in writing that I don't have any televisions. TV Licensing Unit reserved the right to search my living room. They haven't turned up yet but if they do I'll let them search. If they want to waste taxpayers money sticking a van outside my house that's fine too since we don't watch live TV on our laptops and don't have televisions or an aerial.

We watch a small amount of catch-up, stuff like Homeland, Body of Proof, The Mentalist, CSI Miami mostly we buy or rent DVDs.
  • I wonder if our MP's pay their own TV Licence...or is this another 'expense' that they can claim back, or should that be 'that we pay'? Just a thought, and quite topical really...

Often wondered
    guiseppi wrote: »
    MP's can and DO claim the TV license as an expense.

I checked out my own MP and she claims for this, as well as a house cleaner, dry cleaning, £600 a month for a printer and other expenses that amount to more than twice this families income. And she gets a wage on top!

Ask your local MP why you've got to pay when they get theirs for free, paid by us!

Disgusting......... :mad:

I do not pay as do not watch live tv. Cancelled nearly a year ago when we rang them and informed them of this and they refunded us money outstanding on the licence and to be fair have not contacted us since.

I would say it is the best thing we have done, even our kids complain that when they go to other peoples houses they sit there gawping at the tv all night and its "oh so boring" :rotfl::rotfl:
  • bendipa
    bendipa Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know for certain that when TV transmissions go digital in April, whether an analogue TV with no digibox present will still need a TV license, if all it can then do is play back DVDs?
  • fonzy8
    fonzy8 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am confused. I have cable TV and I have a PC. I pay the license fee.

What do I need to do to prove that I dont watch the live BBC channels? I pay the license fee.

My (possibly wrong) understanding is that if you have equipment in the house that can receive BBC channels, you have to pay the license, regardless of what you actually watch. I could say I never watch it live, but if someone comes around if you have equipment in the house that could do it, doesn't that mean you will be fined?

Excuse my ignorance if the above isnt true - but I would also like to spend my argument time in work to improve my wage rather than saving a few quid myself on the TV license. People who do pay the license are paying a percentage to chase those who dont. It should just be a fair price!

I would also prefer the BBC to pay for the infrastructure transmission service we all want without paying millions to celebs to compete with the pay-for services like itv and sky and also have enough money to do pilot shows.

The BBC have been quite good at doing pilot shows before and selling them abroad - and they employ people doing it.

Why cant they provide the unemployed an education that so many big companies are refusing in the last couple of weeks? The BBC is owned by us!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure