Comments

• Jamie Carragher on Sky? Anyone?

I'm from Glasgow?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    This could be interesting.

I wonder if it will be for new business only or if there is going to be a SIM exchange operation.

I can't think of an example of a Mobile Virtual Network Operator moving network.

Does anyone know how this could be done ?

I'm puzzled too. ASDA's PAYG tariff is excellent for me, because I only use about 3 minutes and 10 texts a month. My ASDA SIM card works in a cheap smartphone I bought in a Vodafone shop, and which is locked to Vodafone. What will happen when ASDA switches to EE?
  • The good news is that Sainsbury Mobile will use the Vodaphone network (I just joined Asda mobile today then learned they're changing network to EE which doesn't cover my area). Sainsburys will also be cheaper and 8p/min and 4p/text (for now...)
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    The good news is that Sainsbury Mobile will use the Vodaphone network (I just joined Asda mobile today then learned they're changing network to EE which doesn't cover my area). Sainsburys will also be cheaper and 8p/min and 4p/text (for now...)

Or you could just join Ovivo...
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Sainsburys will also be cheaper and 8p/min and 4p/text (for now...)

PAYG may be cheaper, but the monthly bundles are not great compared to GiffGaff or Tesco.
  • I missed Ovivo but this looks good for light PAYG users such as myself as even outdoor reception is very patchy and unreliable.
  • This could be interesting.

I wonder if it will be for new business only or if there is going to be a SIM exchange operation.

I can't think of an example of a Mobile Virtual Network Operator moving network.

Does anyone know how this could be done ?

I wondered this and it seems that no sim card exchange is needed. They will no doubt use something called over the air (OTA) technology to re-programme everyone's card while it's still in the phone.
    There is an article (OTA technology) on Wikipedia for anyone interested.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,956
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    New sims will be issued, starting 894430.

BT Mobile moved from T-Mobile to Vodafone years back, requiring a sim change. When 3 stopped using O2 as a fallback instead using Orange, they also had to send new sims to customers.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I missed Ovivo but this looks good for light PAYG users such as myself as even outdoor reception is very patchy and unreliable.
    What do you mean you missed it? It is still available but their SIM cost has increased from £15 to £20 (with £15 account credit). An excellent deal providing the company manages to stay afloat with this business model (and I hope they do!). For those looking for PAYG surely the 3 3-2-1 deal takes some beating! 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text and 1p per mb of data. Mind you, it does mean dealing with 3 (cue all "3 are rubbish" posts).
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    That is a historic T-mobile code (Orange being 33)

3 didn't have to replace the sims when they removed O2 as their 2G network; they just sent a sim update via sms.
    simax wrote: »
    New sims will be issued, starting 894430.

BT Mobile moved from T-Mobile to Vodafone years back, requiring a sim change. When 3 stopped using O2 as a fallback instead using Orange, they also had to send new sims to customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure