Halifax Help To Buy ISA rate dropping!

Comments

• Klopek
    Klopek Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Looks like Halifax limit transfers from existing ISAs to £1000, whereas Santander allow the full £1200 to be transferred in.

I therefore intend to open a Santander HtB ISA but had wondered whether I should also open a Halifax HtB ISA to qualify for the current 4% rate. I would only be paying into one cash ISA (Santander) but should the variable rate drop, I would have the chance of transferring into the Halifax account (assuming the existing customer rate hadn't been reduced).

There seems to be some conflicting information about whether simply opening an account or paying money into it technically counts as your current years subscription. Does anybody have experience of this?
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Klopek wrote: »
    Looks like Halifax limit transfers from existing ISAs to £1000, whereas Santander allow the full £1200 to be transferred in.

I therefore intend to open a Santander HtB ISA but had wondered whether I should also open a Halifax HtB ISA to qualify for the current 4% rate. I would only be paying into one cash ISA (Santander) but should the variable rate drop, I would have the chance of transferring into the Halifax account (assuming the existing customer rate hadn't been reduced).

There seems to be some conflicting information about whether simply opening an account or paying money into it technically counts as your current years subscription. Does anybody have experience of this?

Ordinarily opening an ISA won't count as a subscription, it's paying into one that counts. Unfortunately the rules are different for HtB ISAs - you can only hold one of them at once, it's irrelevant whether you have paid into just one. If you open another one you must transfer your existing one in and close it,

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/faq/#bb8e24ea-e1f7-648f-8ce9-ff0000ad17aa
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So the fun may come when Halifax drop the rate for existing customers, and everyone decides to stampede out (assuming someone else is giving a better rate). Their ISA transfer department is swamped, the transfer takes longer than a month, and people start missing their monthly payments due to being in limbo between two providers. Then the complaints process backs up even further.

I hope it won't come to that, but we've been here before (hello H-L...)
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Plus wrote: »
    So the fun may come when Halifax drop the rate for existing customers, and everyone decides to stampede out (assuming someone else is giving a better rate). Their ISA transfer department is swamped, the transfer takes longer than a month, and people start missing their monthly payments due to being in limbo between two providers. Then the complaints process backs up even further.
    This reminds of the annual ISA 'rush' every March/April that happened until 2007/2008. Barclays launching the 6.5% Tax Haven ISA springs to mind...
  • Sparx8
    Sparx8 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi guys ive just opened the Halifax HTB isa !
    Am I just being thick because I can't seem to log in and put the 1k initial deposit in . Says I need to wait for a activation code through the post ! Any ideas ?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pay the first payment over the counter, or via standing order from another bank account that you do have internet access with,
    You will need the activation code to finish the online banking registration with Halifax.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Seems a crazy policy change.

Isn't the whole point being this is a loss leader to attract mortgage business - as they think people with HTB isas will pick the same bank fir their mortgage. Many people will pay more interest in a month on a mortgage than they will get forever in a HTB isa.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Rich2808 wrote: »

Isn't the whole point being this is a loss leader to attract mortgage business - as they think people with HTB isas will pick the same bank fir their mortgage. Many people will pay more interest in a month on a mortgage than they will get forever in a HTB isa.

It's not crazy at all - any responsible ISA manager will have limits to how much interest they can pay on existing and expected deposits.

There is nil guarantee that the HTB ISA holders will take out a mortgage with Halifax at some point in the future, or any mortgage at all. Expected future mortgage business can therefore at best be a soft factor in the considerations the ISA manager makes. Interest payments, on the other hand, are a hard commitment.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Rich2808 wrote: »
    The only thing crazy was paying 4% when the going rate elsewhere is 2%.
    Isn't the whole point being this is a loss leader to attract mortgage business
    It remains a loss leader at 2.25%. It's a totally uneconomic loss leader at 4.00%.
    as they think people with HTB isas will pick the same bank fir their mortgage.
    But there's no requirement to stick with Halifax for the mortgage. The days of saving with your future lender and not shopping around for a mortgage disappeared a generation ago. And they know this.
    Many people will pay more interest in a month on a mortgage than they will get forever in a HTB isa.
    What you're missing is the basics of a high street mortgage lender. They've cornered 75% of the Help to Buy ISA market. They (LBG) have been reducing the size of their savings and mortgage book for years - they have no appetite whatsoever to corner 75% of the first time buyer market. Higher risk borrowers with less equity means lower share price.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Sparx8 wrote: »
    Hi guys ive just opened the Halifax HTB isa !
    Am I just being thick because I can't seem to log in and put the 1k initial deposit in . Says I need to wait for a activation code through the post ! Any ideas ?

Like Westie said - the activation code is for online banking. If you've been supplied with a sort code and account number you can pay in the deposit (and the first month's £200 S/O) straight away.

Remember that all funds after the deposit must be as a standing order! Also beware of transferring across a small amount "just to check if it works" and then attempting to top it up to £1000, as some others have tried. Halifax give you one shot only at the initial deposit.
    : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport