PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly jeans!

I always find it hard finding jeans that are a good fit, but I found a really nice pair in Primark recently for £6. The trouble is, they really stink, and I can't get rid of the smell! I've washed them loads of times, and it's still there, and it's gotten to the point where I'm too self concious to wear them out!
Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    do you use biological powder or non-bio? if the latter it might be worth trying a bio soak
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Normally non bio, but my partner uses bio, and I also threw them in with his jeans on a hot wash.
  • Just curious, what do they smell of? Also did you happen to notice if the rest of the jeans in the shop smelt the same?
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 204 Forumite
    Just curious, what do they smell of? Also did you happen to notice if the rest of the jeans in the shop smelt the same?

Yes, all of the black and dark blue ones smell the same.
    The best I can describe the smell is kind of burnt chemicals, i guess its the dye or something.It's not pleasant!
  • picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    have you tried febreezing them?
    do u use a nice smelling fabric conditioner?

or you could just wear them and douse yourself in body spray!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    its probably to do with the dye. We bought cloth that had a smell very like old pee and found out it was to do with the dye process as it had been done abroad. I soaked the cloth in the bath with warm water and lots of stardrops. It helped and by the second wash (after soaking a second time) the smell was gone.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't know if it would work, but bicarb is good at getting rid of smells, so I'm wondering if you could make up a solution of bicarb and water and soak the jeans in it.

Failing that, I think I'd take them back to Primark and complain.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I find cheap black jeans always smell funny, as has been said I think it's the dye they use. I've found in the past Asda and Primark black jeans have a strange smell.

So I buy blue jeans now ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • I had some black stretch jeans that smelt like burnt matches - is it that sort of smell? I never managed to get rid of it!
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Weird that - I bought a pair of pyjamas from Primark. I dont mind value clothing but first time I'd bought in there. When I washed them they smelt funny and I thought I'd left them in the washing machine too long before drying it was that kind of damp too long smell. Rewashed several times now and always use fabric conditioner but they still stink so I think are destined for the bin. What do Primark clothes smell of ? :confused: wish I knew (actually probably glad I dont)
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure