Full and final settlement help thread

Options

Comments

• ac2111
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    That's really great...and very interesting as we have just been offered a f&f from Robinson's. Our debt is £2800 & they are saying they will accept £1400. We are still paying through SC so I think we need to go self managed and then drop to minimum payments and see what happens.

Can I just ask, have they been OK about you paying £1 payments for such a long time?

not had any contact from them other than statements of account, i did have to go through income and expenditure but did it on there online chat and all sorted within an hour
  • RW01
    RW01 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I currently have 2 debts with Cabot (MBNA loan and NatWest credit card). They're unable to provide cca's for either (they are both for c£3700). They've today sent me a letter confirming that they can't get cca for MBNA loan however they expect me to still pay the outstanding balance. I don't really want to stop my current payments and get into the point where they keep chasing me (partner is unaware of debts). I may be able to make a settlement figure for one of the debts at the end of this month, bearing in mind I know we'll both be fully aware of the fact that whilst wthey want me to carry on paying it's not enforceable (been paying c£80pm for years as part of my DMP), would anyone have any experience of a settlement figure they might accept?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 16 January 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options
    RW01 wrote: »
    Hi, I currently have 2 debts with Cabot (MBNA loan and NatWest credit card). They're unable to provide cca's for either (they are both for c£3700). They've today sent me a letter confirming that they can't get cca for MBNA loan however they expect me to still pay the outstanding balance. I don't really want to stop my current payments and get into the point where they keep chasing me (partner is unaware of debts). I may be able to make a settlement figure for one of the debts at the end of this month, bearing in mind I know we'll both be fully aware of the fact that whilst wthey want me to carry on paying it's not enforceable (been paying c£80pm for years as part of my DMP), would anyone have any experience of a settlement figure they might accept?

Try 10% for starters. I know there was a poster on here (I think it was January who reported her success:T) who had a 10% offer accepted on an UE debt as she didn't want to just walk away from it completely. Just make it clear when you contact the holder of the UE one that although it is UE they are most unlikely to win in court even if they were to take it that far to recoup the outstanding debt should you choose not to pay anything at all from now on. There's better ways of putting it but I hope you know what I'm getting at. You should also say that you don't feel easy just walking away from the debt completely and, considering all the things mentioned above, you are prepared to make them a F&F settlement offer of 10%. Also, use example letters found in various places online (I think NEDCAB have one) to make sure that the creditor gives you reassurance (IN WRITING) that they will never in the future chase you for the rest of the debt or pass it on to any other parties to do so. Also, that they will mark your credit file appropriately. That usually means being marked as Partially Settled but that's the best we expect to get. The balance should show as zero.

Having said all that though there are people on here and elsewhere who would advise paying absolutely nothing further on a UE debt for the simple reason that although the creditor may badger you they don't stand any chance of a succcessful court action against you to recoup the outstanding balance. The creditors who can't produce the CCAs should have put collection of the debt on hold until they do.

I hope I've not confused you:o. I hope someone else will be along to maybe add to/contradict what I've advised. The advice I've given is that that has been given to me. I haven't put it into practice yet though as I'm just starting making offers on my bigger debts that are definitely enforceable. I feel happy leaving the UE ones for now;). The longer I don't pay anything the lower the settlement figure they may accept eventually;)

Good Luck:beer:
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    . I feel happy leaving the UE ones for now;). The longer I don't pay anything the lower the settlement figure they may accept eventually;)

Good Luck:beer:

Have you had any hassle from those you’re not paying at all?
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try 10% for starters. I know there was a poster on here (I think it was January who reported her success:T)

Hi CBC :wave:

Yes, it was me who settled a £12k debt for 10%. They did produce a CCA but after taking advice it I was informed it was definitely UE.

I did choose to settle just to get it sorted. I don't regret that decision, but with hindsight (and in future if I am lucky enough to have any other UE accounts) I wouldn't bother. I would just play the long game. No payments, no contact. Creditor - get stuffed.

So - although I had 'success', I would advise others to be stronger than I was and not pay anything. The debt is UE. Enough said.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • RW01
    Options

Yes, it was me who settled a £12k debt for 10%. They did produce a CCA but after taking advice it I was informed it was definitely UE.

I did choose to settle just to get it sorted. I don't regret that decision, but with hindsight (and in future if I am lucky enough to have any other UE accounts) I wouldn't bother. I would just play the long game. No payments, no contact. Creditor - get stuffed.

So - although I had 'success', I would advise others to be stronger than I was and not pay anything. The debt is UE. Enough said.

Thanks, January2015 I wish I could say I'd leave it but I don't want the stress of letters and it possibly coming back up, I just really want to get it all closed off, if I can get a few 10% settlements acceptedni may be able to be debt free within a year (already knocked 12 months off but having 3 debts written off due to lack of cca). Can I ask if you have a copy of the letter you used that you'd be able to share with me please? Or did you just amend a normal f&f offer letter to say that it's unenforceable so this is my only offer? Thanks
  • January2015
    Options
    RW01 wrote: »
    Thanks, January2015 I wish I could say I'd leave it but I don't want the stress of letters and it possibly coming back up, I just really want to get it all closed off, if I can get a few 10% settlements acceptedni may be able to be debt free within a year (already knocked 12 months off but having 3 debts written off due to lack of cca). Can I ask if you have a copy of the letter you used that you'd be able to share with me please? Or did you just amend a normal f&f offer letter to say that it's unenforceable so this is my only offer? Thanks

I have to be honest, I was the same as you - I didn't want letters or the possibility of the debt returning. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't worry about this now. I do appreciate that this is easier said than done though.

There is a template on National Debtline

I just used the template on the link above. They snapped my hand off.
  • RW01
    Options

I have to be honest, I was the same as you - I didn't want letters or the possibility of the debt returning. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't worry about this now. I do appreciate that this is easier said than done though.

I just used the template on the link above. They snapped my hand off.
    I've got a few that haven't been able to provide cca's so I'm hopeful that if I get a few settled and then can afford to more a more realistic f&f offer on others then I may be debt free this year. I wish I could do what you're suggesting but I just want it all closed off with no danger of coming back to haunt me, if I can settle for 10% then I think it's worth my peace of mind, if it's more than that then I may get tougher and just stop payments! Roll on being debt free, down to less than £30k from about £80k so the end is in sight or so I keep telling myself!! :T:j
  • bluemonday3
    Options
    Hi
    Can I ask how you know if the CCA is unenforceable please as I am currently looking to do F & F's where I can.
    I have sent off for them and one has come back so Cabot are telling me it is enforceable, but to be honest I am naive and wouldn't have a clue so tend to accept what I am being told.
  • January2015
    Options
    Hi
    Can I ask how you know if the CCA is unenforceable please as I am currently looking to do F & F's where I can.
    I have sent off for them and one has come back so Cabot are telling me it is enforceable, but to be honest I am naive and wouldn't have a clue so tend to accept what I am being told.

I took advice from another website/forum called all about debt. They got their solicitor to look at my CCA (no charge to me) and advised me it was definitely UE.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback