2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’ve not had a very frugal start to the year because I had to by food, Petrol to take my son back to uni and also work trousers. Talking of work, I have a start date of the 15th! Two days of induction and then 3 days training. All are a good drive from here but I get paid for my mileage. I’m looking forward to it I can say!
    Trying to keep in budget.

• So, I have spent the first of my money, and quite a bit in the scheme of things. I've spent the following from my personal budget £32.25, £7.25 was on a lovely 2 litre Kilner jar for my sourdough starter which I'm going to do this weekend (very excited) and if it doesn't work I have more than enough things to go into it. The next payment was £25 of which was two tickets to go and see Ronald Hutton for a talk on Megalithic Man, I paid for my sister to go for her birthday. He's one of our favourite speakers and we've already seen him on different talks over 5 times now! We'll be going for Vegan pizza (again a birthday treat) prior to going and I will sit with my knitting while listening along. We are both super super excited!!!

So that's £32.25/£3,000

I'll update my signature now :).

I've also started on my menu plan for next week and I don't think I'll need to go shopping at all and if I do it will only be bread and milk! Maybe a tin of tomatoes, so that makes me super happy. If we end up not going shopping I'm going to mentally put the money aside and then at the end of the week put it into savings.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Household £0/5,000 Personal £0/3,000 Starting on the 25th Jan.
    January 2018 Grocery Challenge - £42.88/280 20p Savers - £5.20p Virtual Sealed Pot No. 14 - £19.04/£260 Mortgage Overpayments - £0/£1,200 Sealed Pot No 37 :j
  • Today's spends were parking at the station (£5.50) and discovering the dentist is going to be 147 pounds more than I planned and I need two fillings. Also going to cost a lot.

Hmm. Best go figure that out.
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Right well, I've just done that big long trifle of a post and then looked at my budgets we still have "Christmas" payments coming out so it probably wont be wise for us to start this till the 25th when I get paid, that way we are starting with a clean slate. With this in mind I can actually move our spending around and put my yearly down at £4,500! Well it's coming out at £4,040 but I would like the buffer just encase. This makes me VERY excited as I'm getting lower. I think we could probably get it even lower as we don't by wood, coal or things for the fire during the summer as we don't need the heating on.

Anyhow I do hope this is ok, I'll still be following along as I really don't want to spend what's in my account unless I have to, so this will keep me on track.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Household £0/5,000 Personal £0/3,000 Starting on the 25th Jan.
    January 2018 Grocery Challenge - £42.88/280 20p Savers - £5.20p Virtual Sealed Pot No. 14 - £19.04/£260 Mortgage Overpayments - £0/£1,200 Sealed Pot No 37 :j
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Managed a no Spends day. Daughter and I had cuppa soups and crackers at work instead of buying Baguettes next door.
    £2.30 each usually.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I got invited out to a coffee shop but said no and my friend came to my house instead. I’ve had 2 nsd so far.
  • Hi,
    I'd like to join please, have only included expenses not bills/payments is that ok ? Aiming for £6000
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    I'd like to join please, have only included expenses not bills/payments is that ok ? Aiming for £6000

Nice username! Welcome back! :T:beer:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Thanks - it's a mouthful and they wouldn't let me change it lol !
    Do I just post target/spend in signature? Think I'd better read up a bit : )
    Finally Debt Free (£8k to zero) yay! :j :j

Saving for Xmas 2020 £1 a day challenge #54 £18/366
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #49 (£6)
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    Can I join the thread, please? ... As soon as the mortgage is gone, we are both going part time at work and getting a camper van. The plan is to spend as much time as we can on beaches or up mountains....living life purposefully and slowly...

Welcome to the challenge! When you get your campervan, you'll need to come and visit Frugaldom! :)
    Kerreh wrote: »
    May I join? :) I probably won't post all that regularly but I've been following along daily for over a week... it's like a mental check and measure for myself!

Welcome! Don't worry about how often you post - when it gets past the worst of the weather, I become almost invisible because I spend all my time out chasing pennies. :rotfl:
    Hi,

Everyone has their own budget and their own way of taking this challenge so you are more than welcome to join us. :)

Day 4 gone and no spends. I'm going to try not to buy food this month while I work through what's in stock here. I need to do a proper declutter and that includes freezer food and cupboard stores. I have so much needing done here just now that I;ve actually advertised for help who will work in exchange for board and lodgings. Winter in Scotland isn't always the best time to advertise but who knows? Maybe there will be gap year students heading further south from the freezing Highlands. :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport