No payrise in 5 years

Options
2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    But so do a lot of other people. You aren't the only one with no pay rise.

What you think you "deserved" in the past really isn't the point. As you say yourself, a lot of things have changed, and you don't present a compelling argument for giving you a pay rise - other than you wanting one, which really isn't compelling. You appear to be looking for a compelling reason to say you are being discriminated against, rather than making a compelling case for why you are worth more to them.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daytona0 wrote: »
    Within the last 5 years you've had 2x maternity leaves and part time hours for at least a significant portion of the time. Now you expect a raise?

And now you're asking if there is an "element of discrimination"?! Really?!

Jog on!

Things like this really grind my gears. Pregnancy and maternity is a protected characteristic when it comes to discrimination, but the employer has been completely reasonable with that here! They've kept your job open hence why you've gone back to them after TWO maternity leaves!

And I tell you what but whilst you have been on maternity leave (your choice to have a baby), there have been other people who have been working their socks off. You don't deserve a raise over them. Not a chance in hell. And I tell you what, but if you are one of the highest paid employees there then you need to wobble your head big time.

Wow! TWO maternity leaves and they didn't fire her, how 'reasonable' of the company to comply with the law while she took the mick in this way! How dare she complain about anything, being sat at home clearly doing nothing while others have been working while being paid to do so! Shocking!

Do you hear yourself? It sounds like because of people like you there still needs to be the legal protections for maternity leave to protect women who bear the brunt of a couple deciding to have children.

If the OP has had two maternity leaves this may have meant 18 months out of the last 5 years she is talking about, so 3.5 years of still working hard and seeing others be rewarded for this while she isn't. Most would feel demoralised to be earning less in real terms than 5 years ago while their peers are receiving pay rises, and would wonder why and whether they should do something. So she comes on here to get others views and gets this disgusting anti-equality rant designed to make her feel bad for daring to have children and not feel eternally grateful for even being allowed to continue working after. Clearly the OP was good at her job if she was getting high pay rises and there's no reason to think she isn't any more.

The employer isn't necessarily doing anything wrong as pay rises may have reduced overall and as the OP was on a higher rate the employers now feel it's too high to compared to what the market demands. Therefore unless they are clearly only not offering pay rises to part time staff or mothers it would be hard to say it was illegal discrimination.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • sangie595
    Options
    Kynthia wrote: »
    Wow! TWO maternity leaves and they didn't fire her, how 'reasonable' of the company to comply with the law while she took the mick in this way! How dare she complain about anything, being sat at home clearly doing nothing while others have been working while being paid to do so! Shocking!

Do you hear yourself? It sounds like because of people like you there still needs to be the legal protections for maternity leave to protect women who bear the brunt of a couple deciding to have children.

If the OP has had two maternity leaves this may have meant 18 months out of the last 5 years she is talking about, so 3.5 years of still working hard and seeing others be rewarded for this while she isn't. Most would feel demoralised to be earning less in real terms than 5 years ago while their peers are receiving pay rises, and would wonder why and whether they should do something. So she comes on here to get others views and gets this disgusting anti-equality rant designed to make her feel bad for daring to have children and not feel eternally grateful for even being allowed to continue working after. Clearly the OP was good at her job if she was getting high pay rises and there's no reason to think she isn't any more.

The employer isn't necessarily doing anything wrong as pay rises may have reduced overall and as the OP was on a higher rate the employers now feel it's too high to compared to what the market demands. Therefore unless they are clearly only not offering pay rises to part time staff or mothers it would be hard to say it was illegal discrimination.

Totally agree with every word. I notice the same poster also thinks that is ok to pay **** wages to someone if they are from the EU, on the basis that they are good wages for someone from the EU! At least they are an equal opportunity offender - it would appear nobody but them deserves anything.

It is actually relatively easy to see other ground for no pay rise - the OP did come across as somewhat entitled. They focus on how great they were, but now "satisfactory" seems to be the view. And they pretty much said they won't work hard because they will make the company "pay in other ways". Those aren't the routes to a pay rise, especially when they can recruit others to do the same work for less pay, as the OP had stated. It isn't rocket science to see much better reasons for no pay rise than having taken maternity leave in the past.

The OP has already identified that they cannot go elsewhere and get the pay and conditions that they currently have. That being the case, then THAT is their answer. Why would the current employer wish to offer more than anyone else is offering? Unless they are getting more....
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    I had my first pay rise in 5 years when the minimum wage went up in April as it met what I was being paid. Unless you are making them more money unfortunately it probably won't go up
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Girl in the office where i work left on maternity leave came back said she was going and they gave her more money to stay so she did the a few years later she had another came back saying she was going again as she couldnt afford the child care costs etc. So the management turned round and said tell you what we will pay you for 5 days a week but you only do 3, which went on for 2 years now shes off again having another leaving the rest of us thinking will she hold them to ransom again best part of it she dont do alot anyway and weve managed fine without her the rest of us no pay rise in 10 years !!!
  • sangie595
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Girl in the office where i work left on maternity leave came back said she was going and they gave her more money to stay so she did the a few years later she had another came back saying she was going again as she couldnt afford the child care costs etc. So the management turned round and said tell you what we will pay you for 5 days a week but you only do 3, which went on for 2 years now shes off again having another leaving the rest of us thinking will she hold them to ransom again best part of it she dont do alot anyway and weve managed fine without her the rest of us no pay rise in 10 years !!!

Then I would be asking why. Either she has incriminating photos.... or your view that she doesn't work as hard as the rest of you appears not to hold any water.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »

What somebody else gets paid is none of your business!

If you are not happy with you are being paid, try and negotiate a better deal. If that fails look for another job that pays what you think you are worth. If both fail then maybe you are not worth as much as you like to think.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been with the same company for 11 years and have not had a payrise in about 5 years. 5 years ago I went on maternity, returned part time and had a second child and have returned again part time. During my first 6 years I had a promotion and got good increases because the market was booming, plus increases for professional exams.

Payrises are based on performance reviews and I have received a satisfactory score during my reviews. Employees with the same performance rating are getting payrises but I have been told I am on a good salary for what I am doing (because of previous payrises that I deserved).

Do you think there is an element of discrimation here? How would you approach this. It has been implied that I won't get any increases unless I apply for a promotion.

It sounds perfectly fair to me. You are getting paid more than other employees doing the same work. If they are getting the same performance rating as you and are doing the same job and you are being paid more then it is only fair they get a payrise to get closer to what your being paid.

Satisfactory usually isn't a very good performance rating and just means you are doing what is expected for your job. If you had previously been working harder and got some good pay rises because of this then your pay is likely to be considerably higher than what a satisfactory work should be paid.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Totally agree with every word. I notice the same poster also thinks that is ok to pay **** wages to someone if they are from the EU, on the basis that they are good wages for someone from the EU! At least they are an equal opportunity offender - it would appear nobody but them deserves anything.

It is actually relatively easy to see other ground for no pay rise - the OP did come across as somewhat entitled. They focus on how great they were, but now "satisfactory" seems to be the view. And they pretty much said they won't work hard because they will make the company "pay in other ways". Those aren't the routes to a pay rise, especially when they can recruit others to do the same work for less pay, as the OP had stated. It isn't rocket science to see much better reasons for no pay rise than having taken maternity leave in the past.

The OP has already identified that they cannot go elsewhere and get the pay and conditions that they currently have. That being the case, then THAT is their answer. Why would the current employer wish to offer more than anyone else is offering? Unless they are getting more....

I know, I was shocked when I went onto that other thread and saw this poster comment that someone from the EU earning £18k must be from one of the more western countries like Sweden or Denmark as clearly they believe all eastern Europeans are unskilled and used for cheap labour only. Shocking. There are many skilled, qualified and high earning Europeans from every country and making derogatory assumptions based purely on nationality makes me uncomfortable.

I can understand the OP being frustrated that they are working hard and every year and for five years they are taking home what is worth less and less. That would demotivated many, especially if their colleagues on the same assessment level are getting increases. I took their reaction on here more as a vent than a genuine plan to stop working hard and their comment that they'd struggle to get the same conditions elsewhere more of a comment about the difficulties of getting a skilled and well paid part time job through direct application rather than a flexible working request where you already work. However without more info it's hard to know what the actual situation is and there's little the OP can do about it as you can't make an employer give you a pay rise.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, based on what you say, it doesn't sound as though they are discriminating against you.

If you are getting 'satisfactory' at appraisals that may be part of the issue - obviously diferent companies will use diferent terminology, but I would see 'satisfactory' as meaning "does the job as expected" - it implies "average", to me, so it may be that you need to be lookin to get "excellent" or whatever the rating above "satisfactory" is, to be able to sucessfully argue for a pay rise.

I'd suggest:

- At your next apparaisal, or when you are able to speak with your line manager, ask specifcially what you would need to do to obtain a pay rise.Ask about specific goals and how they would be measured.

- Go to the appraisal prepared to set out your stall. Be clear about what you feel you have achieved, areas where you have gone above and beyond the basis requirements of the job, any specifc achievements. Be sure to include things which might be ess obvious - e.g. if your appraisal focuses on sales, but you have also spent time dealing with unhappy customers and resolving issues so they decide not to complain, or if you have provided training or support to other staff, then make sure that you highlight that as well.

- If you are asking for a raise, be ready to justify it - this may include setting out your achievements as above, but also what the market rate is for this kind of job (if that is higher than your current pay)

- Consider looking elsewhere. Do some research abut other part time work and whether this would pay better. Sometimes, intangible benefits like being clsoe to home, having built up a relationship where you can be a little flexible on timing etc can mean that the over all package is better where you are even f the headline pay would be higher elsewhere.

- If you don't feel the package over all is as good as elsewhere, then start job hunting. But don't threaten to leave for higher pay unless you are prepsred to follow through.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure