Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All the chores, supper and dishes are done! Phew!

Used leftover butternut squash and a quarter of the crown prince squash, bunged in garlic onions & a spud and simmered down for some time- blitzed up and served with some crust less bread toasted for croutons (had gone a bit stale!) and two slices bacon trimmed and snipped up. Totally beautiful, simple supper and light on the purse too.

2 portions made up and cooling on the side ready for the freezer :D

Eggs in boiling for pack ups tomorrow with carrot & cabbage salad and some chopped turkey. Feeling all saintly & frugal tonight. :money:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Pinecone credit applied this evening taking my balance to £5- requested withdrawal to send to the mortgage once it clears. Small amounts but they'll add up!

Yougov survey completed but that'll be a slow burner.

Work was a bit pants today so I went for a gym session and ran off the frustration so I feel I'm getting a bit of value for money at least from my membership :)

Experimenting with fruit tea and green tea tonight- we have loads of them free from hotel stays- they aren't too bad really,and better for me than too much caffeine.

Leftovers for lunch are cooling on the side and will take some porridge sachets in for breakfast. Last silversmithing class of the year tomorrow and looking forward to it although sad it's the last one before Christmas :(
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    :eek: Dear MSE diary I have sinned.....arriving two hours early for my silver workshop I went for a walk to keep warm & get my steps up....this resulted in £13 spend in Wilkos (clothes hangers & skirt hangers, 2 mugs for Christmas presents, card and a notebook for another present)....now I'm sat at a coffee store drinking an overpriced latte and tea cake so £5.30 additional spent when I didn't need to. :eek:

Must try harder! Although it's lovely and warm in here with the Twilight soundtrack on Spotify and a free paper...it feels pretty indulgent! ;)

I'm feeling all warm & fuzzy at the moment, I'm not sure if it's the time of year but driving to work this morning (with the countryside all beautifully dusted with frost!) about how lucky I am; I've bought my first home with my amazing girlfriend, we have enough money to live how pretty well and our health.... Sometimes I think we get so bogged down with all the things that need to be done that we forget to stop and just enjoy.

£5 pinecone has not yet credited but as soon as it's in it is being sent across.
    Tomorrow is the 1st so will be moving £300 to savings (pay day is only two weeks away!) and will be cooking the parents in law a toad in hole for dinner tomorrow as they both work late on Wednesday (will do some nice pasta for mum in law who's veggie) :A

Other than the money movements the aim of the game is to not spend unless budgeted....have a leaving do on Friday (having a soft drink!) a birthday party 100 miles away (will drive and give lifts to friends to split petrol) and a dinner out with a group of friends all before payday.....
  • Kittenkirst
    Money has been shuffled around so that's £300 into savings and £5 mortgage overpayment :j

Parents in law came over for dinner and I changed the menu to homemade calzones and had a small weekly shop at Aldi (£9 so not bad at all) however I made enough calzones for 8 people so plenty left over for tomorrow lunch. Dough was very easy to make so will make again in future!

2 outdoor rubbish bins bought today so we can put the rubbish & recycling outside now rather than having open bags in the garden :eek:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Homemade calzones sound delicious!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Evening!
    TheMadVix it definitely was delicious- made the dough recipe from good food (just the dough from here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps)

I made two batches of dough and in hind sight one batch would have been enough for four....I know for next time!

Today I was all set to work from home however early morning call that we were having THE announcements today about our jobs so I did a superman style change from pjs and cuppa to work wear, heels & travel mug and rushed into work. I grabbed the leftover calzones which were breakfast & lunch and a choccie bar from the cupboard (thought I might need the pick me up). Good news is jobs are secure but will be changing...will see how things develop.

Debating what to cook for supper as gf travels back from a full day in Manchester.

NSD today so far which is great and I'm about to update my signature with my small overpayment :D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,878 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Glad to hear your job is safe Kittenkirst, at least if they're changing you'll be more in control of staying or going.

DH is still at work, so think we'll be having something simple from the freezer tonight.... it's the only way to avoid the temptation of takeaway!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    edited 1 December 2016 at 10:14PM
    On the theme of takeaway we very nearly succumbed to the lure of the Chinese takeout.....girlfriend really fancied Chinese takeout for supper and I was very tempted however I pointed out we had leftover toppings from the calzones yesterday plus some eggs and bacon. Soooo we opted for bacon with veg omelettes and saved the £20 we would have spent & used up bendy veg too!

Only a small thing but staying on the straight and narrow. Rounded down the joint bills account so moved 33p to the mortgage too!
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi KittenKirst! Just spent the past couple of hours reading your diary! Congratulations on moving into your new home and good luck with your MF journey! I really admire your cooking skills and your power to resist takeaways!! I am a sucker for an indian takeaway at the weekend!! I have subscribed so I can follow your journey.

Take care
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Kittenkirst
    Hey Jessy103- hope the read wasn't too dull.
    Lovely to know people are on the journey with me :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback