PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our house has been on the market for 2 weeks and not a sniff yet! Frustrating as we felt it was on at a fair price.
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • joshardy
    joshardy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    happytails wrote: »
    Our house has been on the market for 2 weeks and not a sniff yet! Frustrating as we felt it was on at a fair price.

I've just started seriously looking at buying and all I see are overpriced houses! I'm not saying yours is, but I'm just interested in the psychology of the buyer v the seller. Both want to get the best deal they can for obvious reasons. Good luck with the sale though!
  • daisyboyd24
    Options
    We had 4 viewings over the weekend. Feels like we are going down the same route as with our previous agent 'just show anyone around hoping someone will buy'
    1st people were doubtful but haven't said no
    2nd people not returning the agents call
    3rd people want new build - why they came to view my house which is 13 years old I don't know!
    4th people have 2 teenage boys so need parking for 4 cars, we have parking for 2 as stated on the advert!

Thinking about going multiple agents - any views on doing this?
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joshardy wrote: »
    I've just started seriously looking at buying and all I see are overpriced houses! I'm not saying yours is, but I'm just interested in the psychology of the buyer v the seller. Both want to get the best deal they can for obvious reasons. Good luck with the sale though!

Hi joshardy, if the houses are overpriced and you are interested in one but it is out of your budget then you can make an offer and see how low the seller is prepared to go.

Perhaps the seller won't be able to make an onward purchase if they sell their property too cheaply.

It just depends on their reason for wanting to sell. If a seller can't achieve the price they want for their property then they may need to stay put and expand with a loft conversion or extension which may be an option.
  • joshardy
    joshardy Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Hi joshardy, if the houses are overpriced and you are interested in one but it is out of your budget then you can make an offer and see how low the seller is prepared to go.

Perhaps the seller won't be able to make an onward purchase if they sell their property too cheaply.

It just depends on their reason for wanting to sell. If a seller can't achieve the price they want for their property then they may need to stay put and expand with a loft conversion or extension which may be an option.

Hi Jox - absolutely agree and it wasn't meant as a slight on sellers. All of the houses are within my budget, I'd just rather not pay for something that I think is overpriced; but that is the market I guess so will place on offer if we like what we find - all they can do is say no ;)
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I bought my flat 12 years ago it was at the height of the market, I felt I was paying over the odds and scared of the long term commitment.

Over the 12 years my mortgage came down from £650 to £450 per month due to the falling interest rates (I over paid as well) and with the average rent in my area for a one bed flat about £1000 per month I'm really happy I was able to have my own flat paying a great monthly rate.

I hope you find a lovely property at a price you want to pay :)
  • LoopyLoops
    LoopyLoops Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck Cinders!

We have had 4 viewings over Friday / Saturday and another one this afternoon and one booked for Saturday. We are considering another drop as we are moving areas and just want to get on with it. One viewer is considering putting in an offer, so we are wondering how long we wait for that. I will call the EA later this afternoon for a chat about it.

Hoping everyone gets good news soon!
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I'm selling a house in NE London and it's gone so quiet! I have had loads of reduced properties on the rightmove alerts I've had through. Typical LOL.

When people say lack of storage, I'd say they mean more things like where to put the ironing board, iron, hoover, etc. Do you have a cupboard? I hate seeing clothes on rails anyway, and in a one bedroom flat, you really do have to make it as appealing as possible as they're usually harder to shift. Yes, I would get a wardrobe, but not one of those ones with the material in front. What about something like this that's not horrendously pricey and doesn't look cheap http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Santiago_2_Door_Wardrobe.htm or http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Panama_2_Door_Wardrobe.htm

Jx

You're just down the road from me in Chingford, if I remember rightly, Jo!

Was chatting to one of the local EAs down in Highams Park recently and they were saying they are getting about a third to a quarter of the viewings now that they were before the Brexit vote, just general nervousness.

Houses are still moving (still a lack of supply out there) but now often the first offer is below asking price while a year ago it would often have been over.

Good luck with the sale
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We had 4 viewings over the weekend. Feels like we are going down the same route as with our previous agent 'just show anyone around hoping someone will buy'
    1st people were doubtful but haven't said no
    2nd people not returning the agents call
    3rd people want new build - why they came to view my house which is 13 years old I don't know!
    4th people have 2 teenage boys so need parking for 4 cars, we have parking for 2 as stated on the advert!

Thinking about going multiple agents - any views on doing this?

People will make sacrifices on things like parking, or decide that a "must have" re. space or bedrooms etc. is negotiable if the price is low enough IMO.
  • daisyboyd24
    Options
    People will make sacrifices on things like parking, or decide that a "must have" re. space or bedrooms etc. is negotiable if the price is low enough IMO.

We were quite hopeful with these people as she currently rents a room for a beauty therapy business and our house has an extension with a decent size room she could use and save £350 a month on rent!

We can't drop our price lower, and as it is, we are the lowest within a 3 mile area (which is a lot of houses!) for a 4 bed detached.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback