First Direct online banking system

I'm looking to swap from HSBC, because I simply cannot deal with the pathetic excuse for their internet banking/app any longer. Was looking at First Direct but as they're apparently part of HSBC, I was wondering if their internet banking is the same?

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Internet banking is about a decade behind HSBC's internet banking. It does everything you need to do, though. The app is similar to HSBC's.

Personally, I wouldn't select my current account solely by the functionality of the online banking and the app. If that's your main criteria though you might find Nationwide, Santander, Tesco and LBG (Lloyds, Halifax, BOS) more appealing.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I prefer first direct's internet banking to HSBC's latest effort. Possibly because I've used the former longer than I've been with HSBC.

First direct's is a fairly basic but functional interface. A plus point is that you don't need to use the security device every time you log on.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    teezie wrote: »
    Was looking at First Direct but as they're apparently part of HSBC, I was wondering if their internet banking is the same?

A demonstration of First Direct Online Banking can be found here.

http://www3.firstdirect.com/demos/ibdemo/log_on_screen1.shtml
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I switched from HSBC to First Direct a good few years ago and their internet banking is pretty much just the same as HSBC's, but the colour scheme is more black and white to match FD's colour scheme and that's the only difference.

Oh and I think HSBC have introduced the fast balance now? I keep seeing it advertising on the TV, First direct haven't introduced that just yet
  • Doctor_Duke
    Doctor_Duke Posts: 303 Forumite
    Having had both HSBC Advance and First Direct I would say FD has the better mobile app for the simple reason that you can now setup new payees within the app. Sure many other banks allow this and more but this function alone differentiates HSBC/FD. I do prefer First Direct on balance but neither are hardly leading in the retail banking sector.
  • teezie
    teezie Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2017 at 4:18PM
    Jlawson118 wrote: »

Oh and I think HSBC have introduced the fast balance now? I keep seeing it advertising on the TV, First direct haven't introduced that just yet
    Fast balance has been around for a good while with HSBC, in fact they've just updated it so you can select which accounts you see in your fast balance, no longer just your current account
    Having had both HSBC Advance and First Direct I would say FD has the better mobile app for the simple reason that you can now setup new payees within the app. Sure many other banks allow this and more but this function alone differentiates HSBC/FD..

I thought you could do this now, but it's the same faff with the secure key, which became even more faff once I moved to the digital secure key (which I stupidly thought would be less hassle).

I might have to look elsewhere I guess, internet banking is an important factor as I'd say I do 99.9% of my yearly banking online, via my phone where ever possible. I have the Halifax app for my credit card and savings and that app is so much more user friendly
  • FD's internet banking is old and !!!!!! but it does everything it needs to do and there aren't many odd quirks. The app is more modern.
  • First Direct is terrible and ugly. Most of the banking apps are but they are probably the worst I have come across. I also hate the fact you have to use a key reader to do transactions.

So far the best online banking I have come across is Tesco and Lloyd's (both app and website but especially the app).

Metro Bank have improved significantly but it still takes 15 minutes to 2 hours for a transaction to go through.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    When it comes to authorising certain transactions for example setting up a new payee there are basically two ways of doing it

Lloyds Tesco etc send a one time pin to your phone

First direct Nationwide etc ask you to use a card reader

I suppose it depends on your personal preference which of these you find more to your liking.

From a security point of view I would suspect the phone is slightly weaker because if you lose your phone then the person who finds it can have access to the pins sent by the bank but of course they would still need to be able to log on first
  • SouthLondonUser
    SouthLondonUser Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    First direct was one of the first banks to let you use a digital token on the mobile , ie an app to authenticate, without the need to carry around a bulky thingy or card reader. This was one of the main reasons for my opening an account with them. This, and the fact that they have decent interest-only offset mortgages.
    The app and the websites are ugly and decades behind what is available in continental Europe, but this is common of all British banks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure