Revolut Card - Not Fit for Purpose

Comments

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Another happy user here, although I just load cash onto it as and when I need it (takes 2 mins on my phone) then go to a cash point and withdraw the money.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Most UK cards won't work at US pay at pump systems anyway as they ask for a ZIP code. Amex cards (issued directly by Amex) are one of the few cards that have a workaround that works at US pumps.

I wasn't using Pay-at-pump, but inside the gas station where no zip code is required (as you process it manually with the cashier like a normal transaction.

Revolut say they don't support Gas Stations due to the high risk of fraud. Rejection was nothing to do with pay-at-pump zip code issues.
  • Dowsett
    Dowsett Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bit nervous now. Going to Orlando in 4 weeks and i have most of my money in there. Infact just change over to USD this morning.

I have sent off additional security (gives you a warning when you go over £500 a year) so hoping i wont get any declines over there.
  • dotties
    dotties Posts: 20 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I have been using Revolut for about nine months and have had no problems at all. I go to Europe every six weeks, so it gets a fair amount of use.
    I also use it to buy items from America, there was an occurrence of a merchant refunding me back onto the card and it took a while to appear but they were honest about the timescales when I queried it.
    I have a Caxton FX card, and have in the past had problems with them (in Sweden with a card which was mistakenly blocked).
  • Personally I had a great time using my Revoult card in Miami, Vegas and LA last year. I mainly used it to make withdrawls from ATM machines and on the rare occasions where I paid for shopping using the card there were no issues once "credit" was selected as the payment type as oppose to "debit".
  • Casciana
    Casciana Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have just tried to use my Revolut card in Italy to withdraw cash from machine and a message says that my card is not valid for international transactions!! Tried to message Revolute Support but not available yet!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Casciana wrote: »
    Have just tried to use my Revolut card in Italy to withdraw cash from machine and a message says that my card is not valid for international transactions!! Tried to message Revolute Support but not available yet!
    Some Italian ATMs cannot handle foreign cards. Was your card working ok previously? Did you try it in a different ATM? Did you try a different card in the same ATM?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Going to Vegas in Oct so was going to use this card to withdraw from ATM's (apparently best rate?) On signing up the "electronic verification" did not work, so was asked to do the camera passport / driving license thing, sounds well dodgy!
    Anyone else had to do the manual verification? also, is it the best rate?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Going to Vegas in Oct so was going to use this card to withdraw from ATM's (apparently best rate?) On signing up the "electronic verification" did not work, so was asked to do the camera passport / driving license thing, sounds well dodgy!
    Anyone else had to do the manual verification? also, is it the best rate?

You'll get the same rate as any Mastercard.
    Check the travel money section of mse for those that don't charge extra.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    was asked to do the camera passport / driving license thing, sounds well dodgy!
    Anyone else had to do the manual verification?
    All Revolut users have to verify themselves this way, although many can use it for a few hundred pounds before it's required. Nothing dodgy, most fintech apps use this convenient method.

Revolut gives the perfect interbank rate current at the moment of transaction or conversion, slightly off on weekends. But it's probably not fit for your purpose if you only want ATM withdrawals as there is now a 2% charge to withdraw more than £200 equ per month. Also the plastic card now costs £5.

Try Monzo or Loot, 'near perfect' daily MasterCard rate, no fees and simpler to use, but see their withdrawal limits. Cards can be used for almost any purchase in USA.

Revolut is not a credit card so it's probably best to post about it on the 'Prepaid Cards' thread in Banking, or its own thread on the Overseas board:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71739029&highlight=revolut+mastercard#post71739029
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport