Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Great. Having put in a claim for over 3hours delay,both the Airline and FAA say that I have no claim as I fall foul of the UK Statute of Limitations (6 years), although the Court of Justice of the EU states claims can be back dated to 2005.

What a Bummer
  • samwardill
    samwardill Posts: 219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    Have you had any sort of feedback from Aer Arran on who was responsible for the lately discovered damage?

I suspect a 'no win - no fee' firm might be the best route left on this one..

I have had no detailed feedback from aer Arran and they did not agree to allowing the Irish regulator to share what was sent to them.

Who are the no win no fee firms worth talking to?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    samwardill wrote: »

Who are the no win no fee firms worth talking to?

Too early to say really but flightmole seem to be getting a good level of clients.
  • Hello all, some advise would be great here.

I had a 8.45 hour delay in 2010 with US Airways travelling from Gatwick to Charlotte. I got a reply today stating as they carried out all necessary maintenence and all feasable steps the regulation did not count.

They have offered me $800 voucher for a voucher that is valid for one year. But my flight was so bad I don't think I would ever fly with them again.

Are they right or should I reject the offer?

Thanks
  • theboots
    theboots Posts: 19 Forumite
    theboots wrote: »
    After the recent judgement I followed up the email I'd received last year from SIA, basically pointing out that the judgement was in and had gone as expected and asking for them now to settle my claim for 2x€600 within 14 days. I've since had an acknowledgement to that email but was wondering is an email sufficient to satisfy the court or do I actually need to send a snail mail letter before action?

Thanks
    Thought I should follow up the resolution for the benefit of anyone else who is going through the same process.

Due to a potential new job I didn't follow this up straight away, I didn't want to be trying to take action in the English courts whilst moving abroad at the same time. The job fell through so I contacted my household legal cover in January. A bit of an exchange of emails and letters with them and they declined to cover because although they were the insurers when I flew, when I bought the tickets the cover was with my previous insurers. I contacted the previous insurers and they gave the opposite argument - don't you just love insurance companies <not>.

I'd resigned myself to taking action in the small claims court when that week I received a letter from SIA offering settlement to my wife and I at £519 each. Letter signed and returned by snail and email and 1 month later we both received the compensation.

My thanks to those who assisted with this in the early days to get the ball rolling and pointed me in the right direction and good luck to others pursuing their claims.
  • Hi all,

Prepared as I was to issue proceedings, I received a letter yesterday from BA in response to my Letter Before Action, enclosing a cheque to the tune of £344. Thanks very much for your help.
  • hariboh
    hariboh Posts: 75 Forumite
    I travelled to Jamaica in 2005 for my husbands 30th with our 3 kids, or flight home which departed from Montego Bay on time arrived at Kingston and we were then delayed there for 5 hours due to a technical fault and waiting on the new part arriving before returning to Manchester......so my question is would i claim through Virgin as thats who the holiday was booked with or Air Jamiaca as that was the airline we travelled with?
    LBM May 2009
    Debts as of June 2009- £27000
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hariboh wrote: »
    I travelled to Jamaica in 2005 for my husbands 30th with our 3 kids, or flight home which departed from Montego Bay on time arrived at Kingston and we were then delayed there for 5 hours due to a technical fault and waiting on the new part arriving before returning to Manchester......so my question is would i claim through Virgin as thats who the holiday was booked with or Air Jamiaca as that was the airline we travelled with?

You are out of time - the time limit for court action is six years.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Air Jamaica is not an EU airline and you weren't flying from the EU, so no claim.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    You're out of time to claim as it's more than 6 years ago
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback