Rules governing doorstep charity collectors

Comments

• lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 November 2012 at 3:01PM
    celebrate wrote: »
    i don'topen the door once its dark, i'll scream thro the door, who is it??? and if the response is a voice i don't recognise i will tell them to go away or open a window if they refuse, i never open the front door

its not safe to open the door to strangers at night, sorry thats my opinion, my husband works away and i'm scared shi*less on my own as it is

I do exactly the same, seems daft as I'm only 22 but I don't know what on earth I would do if I opened the door and was harrassed in any way. Luckily we live in a sheltered housing type project and the manager lives just yards away, and we have the push buttons and pull cords if anything did happen!

Actually just the other night, 9.30pm and there was a huge banging on the door - whole other annoyance as we have a flipping doorbell right there! - I yelled 'who is it?' twice and got the answer 'I'm just walking down the street' so I opened the door on the chain to see a teenager stood there with an attitude and a blue badge in her hand 'is this yours?' I took the badge and turned it over to see the pic...looked at it, then looked at her and said no it isn't mine.' Her next comment was mutterings to which I then replied, politely that she was probably best handing it in at the big house to the scheme manager as she knows everyone round here.

Any knocks on the door past 5pm and I'm worried if I'm alone!

And just in reply to the poster above, I wouldn't give any of my details to a door-to-door fundraiser, call me cynical but you can't trust people that much with any personal information nowadays
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • MSE provides the solution here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#coldcallers

Print one of these signs off and stick it on your door.
    It works fantastically for us - cut knocks on door by 98%+
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Churglars!! I ask every one whether they're here to churgle us and they make a fairly swift exit ;):D

That or point to the "no unsolicited callers" sign and innocently ask why they ignored the sign.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • I don't like people who ask for money on the doorstep, for charity or otherwise. I feel it is an unfair intrusion on my private space and can be very intimidating for my elderly neighbours.

I have taken to emailing any charities who send doorstep collectors to our area to ask them to stop sending people to doorsteps and to make it clear that as they engage in this practice I will no longer make any contribution to their charity.

If everyone who had an unwelcome knock at the door did this then charities would soon stop engaging door to door collection companies and would find other less intrusive ways of asking for donations.

I do give to some charities regularly and am always pretty generous if asked to sponsor a friend or colleague, I just hate having strangers knock on my door and try to push me into donating or filling in a direct debit form.
  • I just tell them , sorry but i dont have a bank account, they are not intrested then and walk off!
    If it has tyres or testicles, it's gonna give ya problems..

.A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Hiya as a door to door fundraiser myself I felt the need to make an addition here,

yes we are paid but our company (home fundraising) guarantees the charities 4x there expense back in a year or they ill keep working for free to make the 4x back but the charities usually recieve more than their 4x back.
    In other words, you take 25% of the amount donated. Donating online directly with the charity usually costs a 2-3%, via Just Giving costs 5%. So donating via a chugger seems to be a very inefficient way of giving to charity.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    I always look out of the blinds if the doorbell rings. If it's somebody I don't want to talk to i.e door to door sales, I don't answer. It's like when I get an 0800 etc. number ring me, I don't answer. I know if I do I'll regret it, I speak from experience
  • Bella73
    Bella73 Posts: 547 Forumite
    I never donate via doorstep. I find it strange in this day and age that anyone does. No way am I giving my bank details to you, you've already got my address as you are standing there and then you want my other details too...I don't think so.

I always politely say that I'm not interested as I don't give to doorstep collectors and point to our sign on the door saying no cold callers.
  • stir_crazy
    stir_crazy Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    MSE provides the solution here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#coldcallers

Print one of these signs off and stick it on your door.
    It works fantastically for us - cut knocks on door by 98%+

I printed one of these off and only had one knocker once I stuck it on the door. When I told him to read the sign he replied " I already did, don't worry I'm not trying to sell you something!" Yes, but charity workers are included on it!
  • not in the slightest when we get them ongoing support that number rapidly shrinks every month where admin fees on a one off online donation never shrink, and your calculation of it to be 25% is wrong that would be three times their outlay back not four.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure