MoneySaving Poll: Should the 1p coin be scrapped?

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    I think the 1p and 2p coins should go. pricing should be like it is in New Zealand. if you pay by card, you pay the actual total. If you pay by cash your total is round up or down to te nearest 5p (51p becomes 50p and 57p becomes 60p for example). Seems to work extremely well and less worthless coins clogging up tills and purses.

I do actually collect all my 'shrapnel' but it's eeming less and less worth it as exchanging them is a complete pain.
    Why do you collect them and not spend them as you go? I never have more than a few coppers, if something costs £4.63 I'll check if I have £4.63 instead of lazily handing over a fiver which most people seem to do.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    elsien wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that most prices would be rounded up and not down.
    Why penalise people who either choose to pay cash, or for financial/other reasons can't have a card? There's more than one occasion when I've been scrabbling round in bags and pockets for enough shrapnel for a pint of milk or some bread.
    Those 1p coins matter a lot more when you're on £73 jobseekers than when you're Mark Carney.
    Then you should know that JSA is £73.10 not £73 ;)
  • I pay by card whenever possible but I've still got a jar of 1p and 2p coins. I carry a card and a few notes for shops that charge for cards. I've got a bag of coins in the car for boot sales and parking but don't bother putting anything smaller than 5p pieces in it as 1p and 2p coins are not worth carrying around.

They're also heavy and make my trousers fall down.
  • If they get rid of the penny, how will I ever see one to pick it up? Just think of all the lost good luck that will cause!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got one of those big whisky bottles, and all my copper goes in there. After years of saving and i wasn't sure what to do, so i asked the Sally Army woman did they want it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Yes, the options were'nt great. If you get rid of the 1p, you should probably get rid of the 2p too, since that could actually be more annoying if you have to give 11p change or something and hence 3x2p's and 1x5p.
    Dont think I really care personally as I use card 95% of the time, but I would probably have an opinion if I knew that 1p/2p coins were costing the BoE or UK businesses £XXm to process/maintain/circulate/...
    Id be more keen to force companies to accept card as it is infuriating/annoying when somebody doesnt!
  • Why not sort out the coins properly?

Do we really need all of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, £1, £2?

Surely 1p, 5p, 20p, £1 and £2 would suffice and be easier and better (and cheaper to manage).
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I think the 1p coin should be retained just long enough so that Mark Carney can be paid his golden handshake in them.
  • As most businesses in the UK don't pay any tax why on earth should I agree to giving them even more money - no way. Not until our rotten corrupt government starts making these businesses pay their taxes and they FINALLY change our tax laws and close the loop holes and make it law that if someone - like Philip "I like to steal people's pensions" Green trade in the UK they have to pay tax end of.
  • I don't mind getting rid of the 1p coin, but frankly Carney is the worst Bank of England boss we've ever had. After scaremongering everyone about how bad it would be if we voted Brexit, he followed up with increased quantitative easing which wasn't needed and simply further lowered interest rates, which helped the pound slide. He told us British industry would suffer - quickly proved wrong by the best export figures in years, how the housing market would be negatively affected -it hasn't, and how our stock market might fall - that's doing fine thanks. All he's managed with his 'measures' is to suffocate the bond market, which has left many pension funds in the red. Lately he has expressed his surprise at how well Britain is bearing up! Well thank you Mr Carney but any schoolboy economist could have told you that Brexit won't affect anything until it actually happens, and that negative sentiment is the only thing likely to affect markets in the short term. The real worry is that he seemingly failed to grasp that a lower pound will aid exports. It really beggars belief. Bring back Mervin King..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure