The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

British Gas & Power Flush

Comments

• New to the forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask......Just moving house, comparing Homeserve full cover with Bgas Home 400 policy. Bgas no excess, unlimited callouts, £27.00 per month. Homeserve policy (no excess) £41 per month.......what am I missing?
  • unclebear wrote: »
    New to the forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask......Just moving house, comparing Homeserve full cover with Bgas Home 400 policy. Bgas no excess, unlimited callouts, £27.00 per month. Homeserve policy (no excess) £41 per month.......what am I missing?
    That's a lot of money a month to get a salesman to service your boiler, lol.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    unclebear wrote: »
    New to the forum, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask......Just moving house, comparing Homeserve full cover with Bgas Home 400 policy. Bgas no excess, unlimited callouts, £27.00 per month. Homeserve policy (no excess) £41 per month.......what am I missing?

they cover emergency faults on windows, roof, pest, locks.....

they DONT fix leaking radiators, nor do they replace radiators which Bgas do.....

Also go to page 2 of their t&c's for this policy and read Emergency repairs (left hand side) about 11 paragraphs down.....

http://www.homeserve.com/insurance/~/media/policy-documents/complete-cover-with-heating-and-annual-boiler-service-flexi/tac-HSICCHS-HS147532.ashx

it states this:

Emergency repair(s): repair work by an engineer authorised by IPA to
    identify and temporarily eliminate the emergency, as well as preventing
    any further immediate damage to the property. A permanent repair may
    be completed at our option, however only where it is as cost effective to
    complete as an emergency repair.

£40 odd quid and a permanent repair not even guaranteed.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just had a new worcester bosch combi fitted !

Previous boiler was a 35 year old back boiler, the back boiler itself worked ok , but other factors just caused the system to fail, radiators, pipework , pumps , storage tank ,

So hence i had a brand new install

I went for a complete new install , new pipes , and radiators , with a "combi mate " for cold water supply to the boiler and a Magna-clean for the heating curcuit,

I requested that the new install was flushed with a cleaning chemical to remove flux etc,

I also requested it then be drained filled ran and flushed, min x5 times , then sential inhibitor added.

I didnt require a power flush !!!

Anyway , my point is there is a time i feel that the "whole system" needs replacing , thats boiler , pipes , radiators , the lot !!!

If i bought a car that was falling apart , would i buy a new engine to put in the existing body , when the body etc is falling apart , and needing to be sent to the garage regulary !!

nope, i would just buy a complete new car !!!

Just my personal way of thinking on this

strange !! maybe !!

:D
  • Im a bit peeved that I payed BG £600 to have my system power flushed when Eon say its £350..I know I have a lifetime guarantee with BG but still its a big financial difference..does anyone know why there is such a big money gap.
    I have a complete homecare agreement with BG and to be fair their standard of work is good..but Eon offer the same-ish agreement for about £10 less a month..
    Has anyone used Eon for their powerflush and or the homecare agreement..and what is the service like..??
  • cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i do think its amazing that BG can charge these prices for power flushing when you can purchase a new decent boiler for hardly much more,

Yes i know i will need fitting etc, but even so ,, i really do think in many cases the several £100,s should be put towards a new system rather than BG lining their pockets with the profits of a PF !!
  • LGDNUFC
    LGDNUFC Posts: 249 Forumite
    Hi..new to forum so please be gentle..:D
    Ive got British Gas Homecare and I had an engineer come out as my central heating is coming on whenever it likes (even when the timer is switched off!!) so the engineer stated that i required a 3 way valve as the boiler in my kitchen is asking for hot water but the tank in the airing cupboard cant get the hot water through as he thinks there is "sludge" blocking the pipes so the heating is kicking in instead. He "strongly" advised a get a famous "power flush" which will solve any further problems as they stick a filter in the pipes to stop any further sludge getting through. He went onto his computer and said "i see you have been advised 3 times before to get a powerflush"..he then said that this would be the last time that the would repair or replace any parts if it was caused by "sludge" as I wasnt taking their advice which would void my homecare as its in the smallprint that Im not covered for "sludge" problems..
    That to me is quite a threat..Im really not sure what to do now..as i dont have £700+ spare!!:eek:
  • Contact the power flush association, they have members everywhere and they charge about half the price of the big companies. They can do this because they are smaller local companies with less overheads. I saved over £400 on power flushing my system. The insurance companies are just too expensive!
  • Hi all. My combi boiler has stopped working (pilot light has gone out and ignition button no longer works) and my plumber is due to replace my boiler. He says that if he can't get the existing boiler to power up in order to drain the system then I will need a power flush (£200). Is this true?

The £200 for power flush would be on top of the £1650 he has quoted to replace the boiler. This is including the price of a new combi boiler (same model I can buy new on ebay for £800), making his labour charges £850 for a day's work - is this too much to pay for labour? The existing pipework is 22mm so no changes to pipework but would include cleaning system with x300, disposing of old boiler, reconnecting pipework, testing and notifying gas safe register.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks!
  • robsielea wrote: »
    Hi all. My combi boiler has stopped working (pilot light has gone out and ignition button no longer works) and my plumber is due to replace my boiler. He says that if he can't get the existing boiler to power up in order to drain the system then I will need a power flush (£200). Is this true?

The £200 for power flush would be on top of the £1650 he has quoted to replace the boiler. This is including the price of a new combi boiler (same model I can buy new on ebay for £800), making his labour charges £850 for a day's work - is this too much to pay for labour? The existing pipework is 22mm so no changes to pipework but would include cleaning system with x300, disposing of old boiler, reconnecting pipework, testing and notifying gas safe register.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks!

hi there,
    i dont really know where to start....i suppose the "ebay" quote that you refere to. Please disregard anything you buy from ebay. we are a well established, long serving, trustworthy and profesional plumbing and heating firm who only supply boilers and other plumbing supplies from our trusted suppliers. You do not know what your getting from ebay. a lot of the time most of the stock recieved from ebay does not carry the same warranty as to what you may recieve from your installer. The power flush your beeing quoted is actually at a decent price so your question to your installer should be what exactly are you doing in regards to the power flush? ie: what chemical is being used? how many flushes? (he should calculate by how old the system is and how many rads you have)....
    as your rads and pipework are staying you need to have your mind at ease in regards to this.

as for the price you've recieved, it is quite cheap but it all depends on the boiler your being supplied with, the warranty that comes with it, are you receiving a remote room stat with it, are you receiving a TF1 / Magnaclean filter, are your lockshield and trv's being changed with this price?
    Depending on boiler this is what we supply for that price.
    remember, your paying for your installers knowledge and if your happy with your installer then its a good price to pay.
    As i stress to all people who are known to our company and friends of ours is to always get a couple of quotes and if possible, get a complete breakdown of the quote. Don't be afraid to ask questions, remember that your installer had to start somewhere too and will understand (or should) that it is a lot of money your parting with and so long as your installer in filling you with confidence as to their ability then you shouldn't have a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure