Can't open up a bank account.

Comments

• doomnik
    doomnik Posts: 14 Forumite
    eDicky, I am on the electoral roll but again, they still asked for ID. Proving my address is not an issue, I have plenty of ways to do so.

DCFC79, I tried Monzo actually! I got my hopes up but in the end I needed ID again and they wouldn't take in my passport.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 March 2018 at 11:33PM
    doomnik wrote: »
    eDicky, I am on the electoral roll but again, they still asked for ID. Proving my address is not an issue, I have plenty of ways to do so.

DCFC79, I tried Monzo actually! I got my hopes up but in the end I needed ID again and they wouldn't take in my passport.

Did they say why not ? The passport being expired ?

What about Starling Bank ?
  • doomnik
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Did they say why not ? The passport being expired ?

What about Starling Bank ?

I've tried this one too recently and declined for the same reason of my passport isn't valid.
    It's a shame, really.
  • DCFC79
    I've tried this one too recently and declined for the same reason of my passport isn't valid.
    It's a shame, really.

Maybe you should try a bank who offer a basic account, would have thought your passport ok being out of date is still a form of ID.
  • doomnik
    Maybe you should try a bank who offer a basic account, would have thought your passport ok being out of date is still a form of ID.

You'd think so considering I used the very same expired passport to apply for a job and got accepted for it. I feel like they are just as strict with Basic accounts in terms of ID requirements, I mean I can always try but I highly doubt the outcome will be different.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

A quick check shows all the banks require the passport to be valid but I agree with you here, if the person photographed in the passport looks like the person stood in front of you, why does it matter that it’s expired?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You'd think so considering I used the very same expired passport to apply for a job and got accepted for it. I feel like they are just as strict with Basic accounts in terms of ID requirements, I mean I can always try but I highly doubt the outcome will be different.

Expired passports are valid to prove your right to work in the UK but not much else. It makes no difference if you!!!8217;re applying for a basic account.
  • doomnik
    boo_star wrote: »
    Expired passports are valid to prove your right to work in the UK but not much else. It makes no difference if you!!!8217;re applying for a basic account.

I get that. But essentially, if you have the right to work, you should have the right to have a bank account to actually get paid for your work... Right???
  • DCFC79
    boo_star wrote: »
    A quick check shows all the banks require the passport to be valid but I agree with you here, if the person photographed in the passport looks like the person stood in front of you, why does it matter that it!!!8217;s expired?

My theory comes from using it as a right to work.
  • DCFC79
    I get that. But essentially, if you have the right to work, you should have the right to have a bank account to actually get paid for your work... Right???

Get the documents and get it renewed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport