fraudulent fronting car insurance -

Not sure which category this comes under, as it cover credit scoring & insurance fraud.

Please help.

Daughters boyfriend (hopefully soon to be 'ex') fronted his car insurance in her name to lower his premium.
She didn't even know she was a named driver on the policy. He missed enough payments to have the policy cancelled. He was stopped with no insurance, and this is when it all came to light. Luckily the police officer who stopped them believed her when she said she had no knowledge of the policy and why she would even be a named driver on the policy.

Daughter now goes to buy herself a new car - finance refused on credit score. We managed to get the application reviewed and the underwriter believed that she was innocent and approved her application, but we now have 2 problems:
1) There is a 'significant record for concern' on her credit score because of this.
2) When she comes to renew her own car insurance, will this affect her premium as technically she has had a policy cancelled.

What is the best course of action to get the credit file amended.
Waiting for Experian to verify some data before she can access her account (did he use the correct postal address?)
We want to file a dispute against this 'marker' on her file
Can we convince the insurance company themselves to remove the record? Surely there must have been some due diligence checks before them accepting the policy?
I can't believe that I could apply for insurance in anybody's name and put myself down as a named driver and not have somebody want to have contact with the main policy holder.
Do we need to report him for fraud and get a crime reference number to clear this?

We've had the discussion with her about being so trusting of people, but young and being in love etc etc
I really need advice on the best course of action, because this could affect any credit application she makes in the next 5 years (ie mortgage)

Comments

• She doesn't have a credit score - and the finance wouldn't have been refused because of that.

They would have looked at the data and history on her files and made an assesment based on that.

What is showing on her credit files as being late/missed payments or defaulted?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    First you say he fronted the insurance and then you say that your daughter was a named driver. Which is it?

I cannot see that there would be any issues with her being a named driver on an insurance policy.
  • PGA
    PGA Posts: 7 Forumite
    There is definitely something on file that was picked up during the finance application.... as I said we're waiting for 'further verification checks' before we can access her Experian report, which is "very poor"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd be looking at her CIFAS file, as well as all three CRAs.
  • PGA
    edited 20 March 2018 at 2:43PM
    MEM62 wrote: »
    First you say he fronted the insurance and then you say that your daughter was a named driver. Which is it?

I cannot see that there would be any issues with her being a named driver on an insurance policy.

She was the policy holder... she explained to the police officer who stopped him (as she was in the car at the time) that she didn't know anything, for example why she would even be a named driver on the policy.
    I didn't mean to confuse the issue, sorry
  • PGA
    I'd be looking at her CIFAS file, as well as all three CRAs.

Callcredit shows nothing - waiting for Experian.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Equifax and CIFAS?
  • It could be something else then.

Is she on the Electoral Roll? Does she have credit elsewhere? Any defaults or late payments with any other credit accounts?
  • I'm reading this and thinking that the issue is not the car insurance/fronting.
    The issue is that she is the named person on a credit arrangement that then defaulted. That's the bit that needs sorted.
  • PGA
    !!! wrote: »
    She doesn't have a credit score - and the finance wouldn't have been refused because of that.

They would have looked at the data and history on her files and made an assesment based on that.

What is showing on her credit files as being late/missed payments or defaulted?

Callcredit shows no missed or late payments, but there was definitely something, because when the question "is it something to do with car insurance" was put to the underwriter, he said "carry on..." as it's obviously limited what he can give out under the DPA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure