Best way to get illegal car shifted?

Options

Comments

• EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Doesn't the council have a duty to deal with abandoned cars and can one hold them to it?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't the council have a duty to deal with abandoned cars and can one hold them to it?

Refer to my last post, it depends who owns it.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    I see your idea with moving the car to middle of the road but I am in an inner city area and would be seen by many people so if police ask questions, I or anyone who moves it could be in trouble.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mags_cat wrote: »
    My automatic car has a small recessed "hole" that you poke a thin stick into to "reset" the gearbox to neutral. It's on the gear lever assembly. It's so you can tow it / put it on a low loader if it fails whilst in Drive.

If you can reset it, you'll be able to roll it / tow it away.

A lot of Japanese cars have an easily identifiable slot that you can poke a screwdriver into to release the park lock mechanism. On cars that have this hidden then you can lift up the gaiter/trim.

Once done, push the car into an awkward position so the Police have to do something about it.
    The man without a signature.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    EdGasketTheSecond Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2017 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Its a Vauxhall Astra 1999; apparently you have to lift the gearshift cover to get at the mechanism but it looks all plasticky and like it would take some time and investigation to get the thing off; again I don't want to do that in a busy area or in fact have anything to do with the car directly. I did try to roll it to a better position so it doesn't take up two spaces but no luck due it it being an auto.

I was really asking if anyone knew which authority should deal with it (police, council, dvla) and how to best make THEM do THEIR job. Sorry if this was not clear in my OP.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »

No it doesn't.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's an automatic in P. It's unlocked. Have you tried just getting in and moving the gear selector to N?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 June 2017 at 8:58AM
    Options
    Tried jacks under wheels but still can't shift it; too much weight/friction on the jacks.
    I've moved a car sideways with a trolley jack. Lift one axle at a time and push. If the road surface is uneven try putting a board under the jack.

Don't forget to take the handbrake off. Move it in short sections, I would put bricks ahead of the car to limit how far it rolls.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

If you think the law is applied fairly and evenly across these lands, then you're sadly mistaken.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Distance isn't an issue for TWOC.

Fair enough. Even more of a reason to ignore the 'just shift it with a 4x4' or 'roll it into a hedge' advice that normally populates these threads, then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure