Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I would steer clear of any large or mid sized cities in the world then . Yes its there (often behind blanked out shop fronts with big banners in big letters saying DVDs and little letters saying Adult xxx !!!!!! etc). Your DD is more st wise than you think . Street view the staybridge suite and go onto street view (also 8th &9th around 38th/41st)make your own mind up . Its the city that never sleeps its got sex shops ITS BUZZIN
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    greenface wrote: »
    I would steer clear of any large or mid sized cities in the world then . Yes its there (often behind blanked out shop fronts with big banners in big letters saying DVDs and little letters saying Adult xxx !!!!!! etc). Your DD is more st wise than you think . Street view the staybridge suite and go onto street view (also 8th &9th around 38th/41st)make your own mind up . Its the city that never sleeps its got sex shops ITS BUZZIN

Shop windows are not a problem, I'm more concerned about being 'accosted' (for lack of a better word).
    We took her to Las Vegas a couple of years ago (although we didn't go too far after dark as it was at the start of our trip, we hadn't yet adjusted to the time difference and were all cream-crackered by about 7.30pm:D) and Davie Street in Vancouver was quite interesting last year, just don't really want any 'interaction', eg Hollywood Boulevard after dark felt quite unsafe.

TBH we're not really city people, on our trips to the USA we always stay 2 or 3 nights in the city we fly into (unfortunately, airports tend to be in cities :D) then head out into more rural areas. The whole city thing tends to freak me out a bit (I don't even like going to London much) so it's not New York specifically.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Girls eh ! who needs them . Enjoyed standing on a Turkish waiter in the deep end of our hotel pool when my youngest was about 11. & As a mid forties bloke I dont like London either . I understand your concerns but as a family walking down any road anywhere at anytime 999/1000 even the idiots around behave
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Yes, that's my concern.... will have 16 yr old daughter with us :D
    I stayed last year at the hotel next to Staybridge with 2 girls,aged 13 and 15 and it wasn't a problem at all. They were never approached, but they never went out alone at night.Through the day, if they went exploring on their own, they used the bus station entrance. It was not as bad as we thought it might be.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2012 at 8:35PM
    greenface wrote: »
    Girls eh ! who needs them . Enjoyed standing on a Turkish waiter in the deep end of our hotel pool when my youngest was about 11. & As a mid forties bloke I dont like London either . I understand your concerns but as a family walking down any road anywhere at anytime 999/1000 even the idiots around behave
    Jazzy_B wrote: »
    I stayed last year at the hotel next to Staybridge with 2 girls,aged 13 and 15 and it wasn't a problem at all. They were never approached, but they never went out alone at night.Through the day, if they went exploring on their own, they used the bus station entrance. It was not as bad as we thought it might be.

Thank you both, that's reassuring to know.

The 'streetview' idea was a good one, unfortunately there appears that there was alot of construction going on at the time the Street View pictures were recorded so can't really make out what's directly around Staybridge Suites, but will explore the surrounding streets when I have a bit more time.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • We flew BA from Heathrow, arriving at JFK at about 11.40.........we were straight through customs and baggage and got a cab to The Staybridge Suites, we were there by 1sh!

Friday
    We dropped our bags, had a quick wash and went out, walked around to Times Square had a drink and stuff, then decided to go straight to TOTR for sunset. It was wonderful, we got great pics of daylight, sunset, and dark views!! we then just mooched about looking in the shops on 5th and Madison, Bloomingdales and the apple store, and back via the Diamond district.
    We had dinner at Capizzi, which is lovely, not a lot of choice, but great quality!

Saturday
    We got up real early, had breakfast and was out and about, we went to Grand Central St, which I thought was amazing! We then went to Empire State Building, Macys, and more 5th Avenue shops. For diner we went to Red Lobster, it was pretty good - a long wait but we enjoyed it.

Sunday
    Subway to the 911 memorial. Paid respects and remembered that fateful day. Very moving, the north tower waterfall wasnt up and running by then, but the whole place is going to be a beautiful place when the trees are grown etc. We then searched out Centuary 21, bit like a jumble sale but some good bargains to be had and worth an hour or so looking around. From there we went down to Battery Park, past the 'bull' and Wall st. I liked Battery park, the squirrels were so tame they were up the hubbys leg on his knee looking for food!!!! We got the ferry and saw the Statue of Liberty. I have never been so cold, it was -13 but felt much colder! After the ferry we went to the NYPD museum, $8 to get in, we were only there about 30 mins, but it was ok. Then we walked to Pier 17 we took pics of Brooklyn Bridge but didnt walk it as by this point we were numb. Walked up to Chambers St and got the Subway back to the hotel for some take away chinese and collapsed in to bed!

Monday
    We walked up to Central Park, Via Levain bakery for one of the amazing cookies! We had a walk about the park, saw Strawberry Fields, the huge elephants, and the hans Christian Anderson statue. Then on to 5th Ave for hubby to buy an iphone, we then walked back down towards Times Square window shopping in Gucci, Armani, Louis Vuitton etc! We got a few gifts and went to Bubba Gumps for a good feed and lots of cocktails before heading back to the hotel for the taxi back to JFK. I slept the whole way to JFK and all the way back to the UK!!!! yawwwwwn!! Whistle stop but amazing!!

Staybridge Suites was in our opinion fab! The room was a great size, with good views and a little kitchenette, we used the fridge and freezer (ben and jerrys ;)) and the coffee maker. The bed was amazingly comfy, and the bathroom clean and modern. Nice touches like the ipod docking station and the big TV. The staff were great, and I loved the beakfast, it did get a little busy, but we always found a seat, and also never had a problem getting the lift like the tripadvisor reviews complain about.

Any way, I think thats about it. All in all we had an amazing time and just loved NYC! Thanks to everyone on here for your fab hints and tips. xxxxx
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Hi

Just wondering how long you give yoursself to get through customs etc when you arrive into JFK.

My flight lands at 15.30 and I was going to book my transfers soon but unsure what time to make pick up.

Thanks
  • cleofish
    cleofish Posts: 354 Forumite
    hi everyone, wondering if anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction.

me and my oh are looking to go to new york in feb and im making my list of things that we would like to see and this thread looks like it would be a big help.

Can i ask a quick question or can someone point me in how to search for things just in the new york thread.

I am looking for any tips on the empire state building, ive seen some posts on people saying the top of the rock has a better view and you can also get a picture of the empire state building, but i would also like to go up the empire state building as well and wondering if anyone has any tips for actually going there.

is it better to get tickets before hand, is it better to get the express tickets, also what times are the day are quieter?

thanks in advance for any help
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    We went up the empire state, we didn't buy express tickets but we rocked up early in the morning and the queue outside was invisible and the queue inside was tiny
  • tonymc
    tonymc Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Also considering Staybridge Suites at Times Square, not such a good location I'm told (w40th, between 8th & 9th ) but good reviews on tripadvisor and complimentary breakfast

We (myself, wife and daughter age 13) stayed at the Distrikt Hotel, just next door on 40th St West. I had seen some reviews on Trip Advisor as to the proximity of the parole office and "DVD" shop, but have to say that we didn't feel uncomfortable at all, and in fact, we felt extremely safe wherever we were in NY. We thought it was a great location - only about 10 minutes walk to Times Square, 15 mins to Top of The Rock and Grand Central, about 45 mins to Central Park.

The subway station was also at the end of the block which took us down to Battery Park, and one day brought us back from the Central Park area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure