Threat of hourly rate being reduced

Hi.

Out of the blue my husband has been told his hourly rate will be reduced or the sack. Ive spoken with Acas but im at a loss on how to raise a greivence politely. I dont want him to lose his job, but its scared me as im not sure it it were a idle threat or it will happen. Advise is to raise the greveince before it happens.

Im trying to keep it brief but dont want to come over to strong as im worried he will just come up with another excuse and make him redundant. Hes worked there less than 2 years.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately if he's worked there less than two years then there's not much he can really do, as I think you know.

In his situation I'd take it on the chin and look for other work ASAP. It's better than being sacked for any reason.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • luksakura
    luksakura Posts: 51 Forumite
    Acas say its a breech of contract to reduce his hourly rate, so contract law. and to be dismissed would constitute unfair dismisal where it falls into employment law. If we raise the concern after hes docked his wage the letter will mean nothing.

There are also issues about obtaining payslips and being paid on time. Just trying to word some thing without being threating.

Re- Recent Issues

Dear ....!

I am raising concerns about recent convestaions between A and yourself regarding reducing my hourly rate. I have found this quiet ditressing and wish to point out that this is a breech of contract.!!

Also, in regards to wage slips as an employee I have satatutory right to recieve these either the day before or on the day of payment.! Additionally, since starting on ..... I have been paid on time once. As stated in my contract this is to be on a Thursday of each week.

I hope the above can be resloved as, the first issue has not yet happened this should not require a resolution. However regarding pay and pay slips I would like a response with 14 days. If printing is still an issue, please feel free forward electronic copies to .....

Does this sound ok?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,779 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    luksakura wrote: »
    Does this sound ok?

If you are going to send a letter, make sure you check your spelling - there are at least five typos in your proposed wording.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    There can be a reduction in the hourly rate if it's with the workforce's agreement, in other words they need to consult properly.

We did it in 2009, reduced pay by 10% for the drivers and 20% for management. We explained why and put a time limit on it, after which wages would revert to normal.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Does this sound ok?

If you send that(even with the language coorections) he won't have a job.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Acas say its a breech of contract to reduce his hourly rate, so contract law. and to be dismissed would constitute unfair dismisal where it falls into employment law. If we raise the concern after hes docked his wage the letter will mean nothing.

There are also issues about obtaining payslips and being paid on time. Just trying to word some thing without being threating.

Re- Recent Issues

Dear ....!

I am raising concerns about recent convestaions between A and yourself regarding reducing my hourly rate. I have found this quiet ditressing and wish to point out that this is a breech of contract.!!

Also, in regards to wage slips as an employee I have satatutory right to recieve these either the day before or on the day of payment.! Additionally, since starting on ..... I have been paid on time once. As stated in my contract this is to be on a Thursday of each week.

I hope the above can be resloved as, the first issue has not yet happened this should not require a resolution. However regarding pay and pay slips I would like a response with 14 days. If printing is still an issue, please feel free forward electronic copies to .....

Does this sound ok?
    He's worked there less than two years. there is no unfair dismissal.

He's out the door and that's that. (with a weeks pilon most likely)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is there an employee manual or hand book which sets out the grievance procedure.

If not, then a simple

"I wish to raise a formal grievance about the proposed reduction in my hourly rate. I do not consent to a reduction of my hourly from £X to £Y"

The other issues are separate. If he wants to raise those then I would suggest that in the first instance he raises those separately, with HR / Payroll - either verbally or with a short note
    "I'm concerned that I haven't been getting pay or pay slips on time. My understanding is that wages are paid every Thursday, but on
      payments have been made late. This does create problems. I have also typically been receiving my payslips late. (in relation to the pay slips, how late is late? if he is getting these a day or two late I would be inclined to let that go and focus on the delay in actual payments.) Are they reducing everyone's hourly rate? If so, raising it together is likely to be more effective (and less likely to result in his being singled out for retaliation). if not, does he know why? I would also suggest that he starts urgently looking for a new job. If the current employers are seeking to cut wages, and are also paying late, that sounds as though they are either chronically disorganised, or in financial difficulties, and either way, he's likely to be better off elsewhere.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Awful feeling that there's not much he can do about this - though the firm is clearly in the wrong.

In his position - I think I'd probably "hold my horses" on sending them a letter telling them not to do this to me. But - I would refuse to sign anything saying I had agreed to it - as I would be hoping I might stand a chance of having them for "constructive dismissal" somewhere along the line. Also making sure any paycut was notified to me in writing - and I kept it (in case I could use it as "evidence" against them in the future).

Meanwhile - with them doing that and trying not to even pay him on time = I'd regard the firm as either mean or struggling (possibly both) and be looking hard for another job.

When I'd safely got a job lined-up to go to (and had actually started it) then I'd investigate further as to whether I might be able to have this firm for constructive dismissal and reclaim the money they'd underpaid me by.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Awful feeling that there's not much he can do about this - though the firm is clearly in the wrong.

In his position - I think I'd probably "hold my horses" on sending them a letter telling them not to do this to me. But - I would refuse to sign anything saying I had agreed to it - as I would be hoping I might stand a chance of having them for "constructive dismissal" somewhere along the line. Also making sure any paycut was notified to me in writing - and I kept it (in case I could use it as "evidence" against them in the future).

Meanwhile - with them doing that and trying not to even pay him on time = I'd regard the firm as either mean or struggling (possibly both) and be looking hard for another job.

When I'd safely got a job lined-up to go to (and had actually started it) then I'd investigate further as to whether I might be able to have this firm for constructive dismissal and reclaim the money they'd underpaid me by.

No chance,

Signing is not relevant to contract changes except for a few limited situations.

with out working under protest which needs something in writing if you work and accept the new wages you have agreed to the chage in terms.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    bugslet wrote: »
    There can be a reduction in the hourly rate if it's with the workforce's agreement, in other words they need to consult properly.

We did it in 2009, reduced pay by 10% for the drivers and 20% for management. We explained why and put a time limit on it, after which wages would revert to normal.

In a personal situation there was the opposite route of freezing pay around the same time when times were tight, with the agreement that the pay would rise with inflation and be backdated as a one-off bonus payment when circumstances permitted.

It kept the business in question running for 2 years longer than otherwise would have been possible, before being sold to a competitor with all jobs transferred and the 'bonus' being paid from the proceeds of sale, so the question has to be asked of whether it's worth having the security of a job over potentially not having one before going in all guns blazing.

What Bugslet has said is reasonable if you take into account preventative measures to stop the company failing, should that be the case.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport