PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Legal rights after buying a house with dangerous electrics.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    3mph wrote: »
    "I recently brought a 4 bed detached house and paid the price of what the house was valued at based on acceptable electrics."

They were acceptable to you since you bought it.
    They were acceptable to the previous owner since they did nothing about it.
    Whether they were acceptable to an electrician you will never know since you never bothered to ask one.
    If either the OP, or their mortgage lender, had a Valuation done, I very much doubt it said: "Valued at £X00,0000 if the electrics are acceptable".
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 10:37AM
    you had the right to ask the vendor if they would agree to and allow an electrican to do an inspection

you had the right to ask the vendor if they would pay for such an inspection

you had the right to pay for the inspection yourself

you had the right to take note of, or ignore, the findings of the inspection

you had the right to ask the vendor to reduce the purchase price based on the findings of the inspection

you had the right to walk away from the purchase if the vendor refused your revised offer

you had the right to impose conditions in the contract

your rights are now in the past....

you exchanged contracts and your vendor neither implied nor stated anything at all about the electrics in that contract, which you failed to have inspected to establish what their actual state was. The contract completed on that basis and caveat emptor therefore now applies. They are now your electrics and your problem
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Has anyone else had a similar experience, did you pursue and what was the outcome?

My solicitor just said I could take to small claims court and an independent legal advisor said it's a difficult one and to go through purchase documents to look for mistakes the solicitor may have made.

Your advise appreciated.
    I have needed to rewire two of three houses I've purchased.

I didn't 'pursue' anyone, except an electrician, because I either knew the house needed the electrics sorted, or I accepted that what was there, though safe, wasn't worth preserving.

In other words I'd done due diligence when examining the house and understood that rewiring is a fundamental activity when considering a property's long-term future. It's not something one does after other alterations are complete.

If that's an accurate account of what they said, it sounds as if your legal advisors here are talking BS.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    It's the lighting circuit that needs the earth! She had metal fittings up which have all been ripped down and changed to plastic for safety.

Plenty of homes are like this, fitted out before it became a requirement to earth the light circuits. If your seller's were still living in the property, they would still be living like this. The general guidance, for anyone not rewiring immediately, is not to have metal switches.

Changing the fittings for plastic is a further safeguard, though a lot of people would just be mindful not to swing from the lights with wet hands!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I have needed to rewire two of three houses I've purchased.
    Was this due to safety issues though. Rewiring I've had done has been due to the fact there were only one or two sockets in each room and I wanted more. The wiring was old but not dangerous.
  • Bonniepurple
    Bonniepurple Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When we bought this house we knew that the electrics were probably going to need updating, so before exchange we asked our electrician to go in and test. What we asked for was "opinion on the electrics and to tell us if it was safe to plug in a kettle on moving day". He tested it, told us that it wasn't as bad as we thought, and we exchanged. It wouldn't have put us off, but I wanted the reassurance.
    Buyer beware.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    silvercar wrote: »
    Plenty of homes are like this, fitted out before it became a requirement to earth the light circuits.
    <nods>
    It's probably worth pointing out that earthed lighting circuits only became a requirement for new installations from 1998.

So, unless your house has been rewired since then, it's entirely possible - likely, even - that the lighting is not earthed.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    martindow wrote: »
    Was this due to safety issues though? Rewiring I've had done has been due to the fact there were only one or two sockets in each room and I wanted more. The wiring was old but not dangerous.
    Err, would you believe rubber cable? OK it's going back many years, but even in those heady days of practical naivety, I knew perishing when I saw it.

Here, in the present house, I had some interesting live cables where they ought to have been dead, and no certification for any of the more modern work, but overall it didn't look too bad.

I didn't claim both houses were potentially dangerous, but both shared the common theme of vendors who weren't capable of giving reliable answers, and I suspect that's the case with the OP as well.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Lots of older installations have no earth in the lighting , this is quite normal for older houses. You actually do not NEED to do anything, just fit Class II fittings. No earth is so normal, B&Q sell Class II.

Older wiring does not mean things are unsafe - just avoid metal fittings.

PS: houses are 'bought' not 'brought' they are not movable objects, so you can't 'bring' them from one place to another!
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Try living in my temporary rented house - tin wiring, no earths, every plug socket is wired into a 4 way adaptor screwed to the wall. We had to get an electrician round for something else and he was very annoyed there was nothing in law that would let him condemn the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure