Options
2»

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

On a previous house we'd to take the front window out too.

Its actually probably the easiest method. Certainly very quick
    a lot easier now with UPVC windows as its just a matter of removing the beading and removing the glass pane
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    a lot easier now with UPVC windows as its just a matter of removing the beading and removing the glass pane

Exactly it took less than five minutes to take out, and that was with balancing a huge and quite heavy panel, sofa through in less than five minutes and about ten minutes to put it back, again with the balancing and making sure it was positioned correctly. The glass was taken out before the sofa arrived and we put it back after the delivery guys left so they weren't kept waiting.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to update. Harveys are arranging for it to go to my local store who will remove the backs and arrange for delivery and reassemble.

Thanks for the suggestion of doing the dismantling myself. Even though Harveys are going to do it, it's good to know it's easy just in case I move house at some point. I guess there will be YouTube videos on how to do it.

I shouldn't worry, give it 12 months and it will be coming a part on its own.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2017 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Exactly it took less than five minutes to take out, and that was with balancing a huge and quite heavy panel, sofa through in less than five minutes and about ten minutes to put it back, again with the balancing and making sure it was positioned correctly. The glass was taken out before the sofa arrived and we put it back after the delivery guys left so they weren't kept waiting.
    When we ordered our current suite from a local company, we timed it with us getting replacement windows again from a local company. both these company communicated with each other, so that the suite arrived when the window fitters had the window removed. The sofa guys even took our old suite away and took it to a local charity that provide furniture for the disadvantaged
  • TheGoldfish
    TheGoldfish Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just thought I'd complete the story incase others have similar problems.

Harveys tried to deliver again with the backs removed. The chair still wouldn't fit through the door after the back rest had been removed because of the arm rests curving up the back. Harveys took furniture away again. Spook to CS who told me a dismantler could take the arm off but it would cost me £120. I said no, they said they would go halves, I said no, they agreed to pay all. I agreed to pay the dismantler but I want written confirmation from Harveys that they would reimburse me.

This Wednesday furniture turned up again. The dismantler took the arm off the chair, they got it through the door and reassembled. No problem with the sofa as that split in half quite easily. I'm now happy.

I didn't like the idea of removing the window as some suggested. Upvc window is over 30 years old and felt the plastic may have become brittle with age and break easily. Having watched the dismantler, I think taking the arm off is some I could do in the future if I every move house.

So I guess the sales person was right to say they come apart but do feel that attempted deliveries 1&2 could have been avoided. There doesn't seem to be any process in the stores to find out what is required to get the furniture into a house. A simple fact sheet for each sofa/chair telling customers the minimum door size and turning space each side of the door require would have been helpful.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When my suite was delivered only the sofa arrived! But it came in several pieces. First the 3rd seat slotted into the two-seat part, then the backs were put on.
    Fortunately, didn't have to worry about door sizes - came down the drive, and in through the French doors.
    The old suite had already been collected by the Heart Foundation lorry - they at least were on time.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Jamiesmum
    Jamiesmum Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Happened to me with a 3 seater couldn't get it turned around because of an awkwardly placed gas cupboard which I hadn't taken into account.

I'd waited 3 months for delivery sitting on garden chairs I was gutted so stumped up the money. It was £140. Once it was up though I never really gave it another thought, it took about an hour and after so long waiting for my first sofa I was just happy.
  • MissSB
    MissSB Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I'm going through something similar with Harveys although I told them my restrictions in store, and like yourself was told it would be fine only for it not to fit through window or door.
    I've been speaking to Which Legal who have advised me that the sofa is not fit for purpose on the basis that I made it known prior to purchase, and also I can argue that it was misleading sales transaction that I would not of otherwise made if the sales assistant didnt tell me it would be ok.

I would suggest getting legal advice and getting letter templates to address the issue in a professional manner using legal terms as my complaint is 3 months ongoing, my next step is legal action.

Hope you get it sorted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport