Waste Tech - Don't Use

Comments

• paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    One thing worth mentioning is that your local authority may - must? - do trade collections, although I guess these days they are often contracted out. But it would be worth checking before concluding it's only the dreaded Waste Tech.

Trade waste collection is one of the things where free market capitalism really doesn't work. Every morning I see about half a dozen different waste lorries buzzing about plus the council one (they won't touch trade waste) all offering a substandard service. One single company/council service doing the job properly would be so much better.

All my staff ask me why they don't recycle. I've tried, but for small businesses in my area recycling is nonexistant...the council keep going on about domestic recycling rates yet ignore us who generate lots more waste which would be easier to recycle (one bin of cardboard, one of plastic is all we need).

I've just started with PHS and they are a bit hit and miss but then previously I used Biffa who would sometimes not turn up for weeks and every single invoice was wrong...they couldn't get their system to generate the correct invoice so we had to phone them every month for years to get it manually amended.

Forget choice and provide a single coherent council run collection (not subcontracted out) as part of business rates.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    paulwf wrote: »
    Trade waste collection is one of the things where free market capitalism really doesn't work. Every morning I see about half a dozen different waste lorries buzzing about plus the council one (they won't touch trade waste) all offering a substandard service. One single company/council service doing the job properly would be so much better.
    OK, but in other areas I would say it is well worthwhile contacting the council to ask about trade waste. Their collections are separate to the domestic collections, and it's true that the domestic lorries won't touch the trade bins / bags.
    paulwf wrote: »
    All my staff ask me why they don't recycle. I've tried, but for small businesses in my area recycling is nonexistant...the council keep going on about domestic recycling rates yet ignore us who generate lots more waste which would be easier to recycle (one bin of cardboard, one of plastic is all we need).
    Again, it IS available in some areas. DH has a massive cardboard bin, and we, through a different collector, have bags for plastics, tetra packs, cardboard, tins, glass, paper - you name it, they'll collect it. We pay for bags, fill 'em up and put 'em out. But we're fortunate to have space to store it: we have a cheap garden cupboard to keep the bags in while we're filling them up. They'll also do larger items on request, latest was a fridge / freezer.

I'm surprised PHS aren't offering recycling, btw, they were muttering about it when we ended our contract. May be worth seeing if you can find a local recycler through this site?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Thanks Sue - yes every area is different and it is good to talk to fellow traders and see what arrangements they have and also call the council. Our council doesn't care about recycling (still no kerbside domestic glass collection) and my waste needs are complex as they didn't think about it when the buildings were put up 200 years ago :)
  • Arjang
    Arjang Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 November 2010 at 2:06AM
    Well done steve
    I have been with PHS for a year now and my contarct was about 35.00/month, this never happened , in fact they increased the money from the first month and in average I pay about £96/month which looking back after a year( as I did not have time and setup direct debits),At the moment I also produce less waste etc....I contacted them today complaining about the almost 300% price increase which was taken from my account from the first day. They told about the different charges brought by the new goverment etc....so I told them that I orignially signed for 12 months and I have given verbal notice from teh beging when I took over the contract. They said the contarct is rolling over????!!!! I was astonish that this is realy possible?????!!!! I also thought that I was the only one having problems with them untill i STARTED READING . They said the same staff to me as they told you guys.

I wrote a letter tonight pointing that, I have not authorised them to take such amount from my account. I do not know HOW, but in my business, if I take more money than agreed from a customer, it is called theft....any changes I do to a customer details or my stafff needs to be agreed with them in writting and sign by them
    So I want to fight with this company......as this is not right and alot of people getting problems with them

I need some help from you if you do not mind
    May I ask you how I can cancel and pay the damages according to clause 5.4???
    Also did you send your letter to below address by special delivery?? or what did you do...

Group Head Office
    Western Industrial Estate
    Caerphilly
    CF83 1XH
    Tel: 02920 851 000
    Fax: 02920 863 288

I have direct debit and I want to cancel it and ask them to send me invoice which I can pay by cheque, in your opnion is that a good idea, as it says very clearly that the customer needs to only pay by direct debit clause 2.5

If my agreed contract was £35/month and they want £96 now , and there is nothing which has changed except I produce 50% less waste , so it is cheaper for them,,,shall I pay £96 or keep paying £35???

I also would like to involve BBC watch dog as the contract offered only benefits PHS and the rolling of contract should not exist unless it is confirmed each year in clear writting by customers....

Many thanks
    Arjang
  • After we finally got shot of PHS we went with Clearfast and now have an 13yrd fully enclosed skip which they empty whenever we phone them up.This is usually carried out within a few days of us phoning them.We are now paying around £120-00 each time we have it emptied .This is great for us as there are times when we have a lot of rubbish and weks when we have little or none.

So far the service is working fine and definately much cheaper and less hassle than PHS. They are one company who if they fell fowl to the recession I for one would toast their demise......
  • We were with PHS Wastetech company upto a few years ago and were delighted to be shot of them. We went to Clearfast Waste Disposal who were brilliant and charge under £40.00 per month for the same job as PHS were charging nearly treble. Unfortunately we now got a letter to say that PHS has taken over CLearwaste and we are now scrambling to find someone else.
    Dont' go with PHS Wastetech!!!!!! Rip off
  • rosie2303
    rosie2303 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2011 at 12:36AM
    convoy wrote: »
    Hi Lou
    I worked for PHS on the wagons & if you take up thier recycling contract either with a bin or bags you will be wasting you're money as it go's into the same wagon with the general waste & straight to landfill they tell the customers that it's all sorted at a transfer station.
    Believe me i have seen what gets tipped into the back of the wagon & they wouldn't pay me the ages i would expect to go trawling through that lot to sort out the cardboard & paper from the rest.

HELP PHS are pushing me to pay their annual transfer contract. I did send them notice in September 2010 and numurous emails have gone back and forth. I am really depressed as i do not have any money to give these people especially as they keep adding to their fees every 3 months or so, and charging for a certificate which comes free with Birmingham City Council. HELP. BBC Watchdog has received copies of emails etc between myself and phs, but I have not heard from them either. PLEASE HELP ANYONE I feel so helpless as this is a bit corporation and it is crushing we small shops. my personal email is: <<Removed by Forum Team>>. It is by mistake and 2 hours trying different things that I finally got into the site today, but I cannot guarantee tomorrow I will be able to get access. HELP PLEASE
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rosie2303 wrote: »
    HELP PHS are pushing me to pay their annual transfer contract. I did send them notice in September 2010 and numurous emails have gone back and forth. I am really depressed as i do not have any money to give these people especially as they keep adding to their fees every 3 months or so, and charging for a certificate which comes free with Birmingham City Council. HELP. BBC Watchdog has received copies of emails etc between myself and phs, but I have not heard from them either. PLEASE HELP ANYONE I feel so helpless as this is a bit corporation and it is crushing we small shops.
    rosie, please delete your personal email address: see Forum Rules.

then I suggest you carefully read the posts by asj100 here and here and make sure you have given notice for the reasons he gives. check which clauses in your contract are relevant to this: numbering may be different for you.

then, stop emailing and start sending letters by recorded delivery.

it may - I don't know - be helpful to refer them to the case which asj won against them and suggest that you would be delighted to see them in court!
    rosie2303 wrote: »
    It is by mistake and 2 hours trying different things that I finally got into the site today, but I cannot guarantee tomorrow I will be able to get access. HELP PLEASE
    not sure what the problem is for you, but be aware forum is down on Saturday.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I have had non stop problems with the PHS Admin, I have had money taken by direct debit and no invoice received until I chased for it, they said they cancelled direct debit then still took the money, I have received completely blank invoices, charges for administration of pre treatment of administration and then a landfill tax added to this!

I am so unhappy the estimated monthly charge quoted was £11.92 and I am paying £30 per month for half a wheely bin collection every two weeks, I cannot cancel the contact as they have a minimum cancellation fee of £200 and they want to charge me £290! I feel I have been mislead and although its in the very small print it is not moral or ethical to treat customers this bad, they have been reported to trading standards.
  • I feel it is important to reply to this forum message about WasteTech as they have just invoiced us for a charge that is nearly trebled to the quoted price and on calling them they simply added that we should have read the contract properly and stated the small print!!! This Company should be BANNED from dealing with the public, we are trying to cancel Direct Debit with immediate effect and then seek advice or take the BIG HIt on cancelling contract prior to end date agreement. Then we shall inform Trading Standards and thankfully MSE website gives us a chance to inform as many people to stay clear of this Cowboy money rip-off company that is WasteTech. Maybe, just maybe everyone will then follow suit and the company will change its ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure